LeBron James 2018-19 Season Thread

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are we holding? 

Death lineup as in death of their playoff hopes?

Lebron being the GOAT is a fantasy.

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, a-rob said:

Not going to work. Draymond and Durant can protect the paint, Ingram and LeBron cannot

Yeah because the Lakers need Tim Duncan and David Robinson in the paint at the same time defensively in 2018. FOH. 

• Root Admin
21 minutes ago, a-rob said:

Not going to work. Draymond and Durant can protect the paint, Ingram and LeBron cannot

It's pretty unfair to look at any lineup in comparison to the Warriors, except for maybe one lineup for Houston and oddly enough, another for the Thunder, although they can't seem to keep it consistent enough in the playoffs.  Through the specific Warriors lens, every lineup will look massively undermanned.  I think most would admit, there's a lot of nice potential revolving around the best player on the planet.  The issue is, for now, that's all it is.... a lot of potential.  Looking at most advanced metrics, the young Lakers are still works in progress and that's not a biting criticism, it simply is where they are in their development.  In other words, it's normal. 

Now, being young, they should take a step forward in their natural arc next year by sheer repetition and experience, although we all understand, progression in sports is hardly linear.  Another retort will probably be playing with Lebron will make them shine more and make them look better.  However, the data is mixed at best for this phenomenon and it seems to simply vary player by player (below is a link to one article) and is not consistent enough to be reliable.  Therefore, it looks good on paper because of the hype of some of these younger player, but knowing how good this specific lineup or really how good the Lakers will be overall will hinge on how big a step forward guys like Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, and Hart can take, because last season, they were more potential than winning basketball players....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23684417/kevin-pelton-weekly-mailbag-does-lebron-james-make-teammates-better

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, a-rob said:

Michael Beasley can play center for their death line-up. But seriously, I think Beasley is a good risk for them, I think LeBron can make him better

Please, please let this happen...for pure entertainment value.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, a-rob said:

Michael Beasley can play center for their death line-up. But seriously, I think Beasley is a good risk for them, I think LeBron can make him better

He really can't. Beasley is actually extra useless in LA because he'd probably be a good bench scorer on a team with 0 depth, except that the Lakers have great depth and he doesn't pass. 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:39 AM, Gile Pile said:

I think he will play less minutes this year (Lakers have no chance at all to make it the conference or NBA finals), so small drop in numbers compared to last season.  Biggest drop imo will be in FG% and ast.     

Thank you for not bickering about the Lakers or his legacy

I think your assumptions are reasonable about numbers dropping, especially ast and pts with the ballhandlers the Lakers have brought in (Rondo, Lance). I worry about his engagement level (and stats drop) if it looks like they miss the playoffs. But couldn't his FG% go up with less pressure? Does his FT% revert back to prior years?

16 minutes ago, Megatroid said:

Thank you for not bickering about the Lakers or his legacy

I think your assumptions are reasonable about numbers dropping, especially ast and pts with the ballhandlers the Lakers have brought in (Rondo, Lance). I worry about his engagement level (and stats drop) if it looks like they miss the playoffs. But couldn't his FG% go up with less pressure? Does his FT% revert back to prior years?

I doubt his numbers go up anywhere if he takes the foot off the gas. Look at the playoffs. If you really watched those games, a big reason the Cavs were winning (especially against the Pacers) was because of how stubbornly Lebron was hunting good shots. It seemed like he had 10 buckets at the rim in the first quarter of Game 7. I think your assumption is based on shooting less, and only taking really good shots. The more Lebron needs to do, the better looks he gets himself, so that doesn't apply here. 

Irrelevant though, again. LA isn't missing the playoffs with average injury luck. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 5:34 PM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Looks like it. LeBron with C elig when centers are so scarce. And for some reason we still need two of them in most leagues . . .  

wotYcr1.png

LBJ playing center on offense is gonna be a huge sanitary landfill. He is dominating forwards with his mismatch cause he's too strong and fast for them but in moments where he tried to play center like in a miami-indiana playoff series i remembered he really looked like a scared puppy when he tried to score over peak Roy Hibbert. LBJ has a knack for really getting nervous around long centers his lebranium body vibrates and weakens around them his shot really gets distracted and turns into a forced layup where he loses his touch around the rim, we saw this multiple times when he got embarrassed by Capela and Gasol in clutch remember he always gets blocked by these Centers. I also saw him becoming whimpy when playing against Gobert. Its like im having sebbhoric dermatitis i cant stop scratching my head with wtf these lakers team is doing. Straw that broke the camels back will happen if they force LBJ to play with his weakness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
On 8/12/2018 at 4:24 AM, chopper said:

LBJ playing center on offense is gonna be a huge sanitary landfill. He is dominating forwards with his mismatch cause he's too strong and fast for them but in moments where he tried to play center like in a miami-indiana playoff series i remembered he really looked like a scared puppy when he tried to score over peak Roy Hibbert. LBJ has a knack for really getting nervous around long centers his lebranium body vibrates and weakens around them his shot really gets distracted and turns into a forced layup where he loses his touch around the rim, we saw this multiple times when he got embarrassed by Capela and Gasol in clutch remember he always gets blocked by these Centers. I also saw him becoming whimpy when playing against Gobert. Its like im having sebbhoric dermatitis i cant stop scratching my head with wtf these lakers team is doing. Straw that broke the camels back will happen if they force LBJ to play with his weakness. 

If you weren't already my favorite poster before, you sealed the deal with "LeBranium body". 

Well done sir. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Auction>Snake said:

Put Jordan on the Cavs last season instead of LeBron they wouldn't make playoffs. 

Why would you think that, he made playoffs with worse teams, and Cavs had Kevin Love who is better than every player Jordan had in 80s. Put Jordan on 2011 Heat and they are winning the title for sure. I hate these hypothetical games.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GmGodine said:

Why would you think that, he made playoffs with worse teams, and Cavs had Kevin Love who is better than every player Jordan had in 80s. Put Jordan on 2011 Heat and they are winning the title for sure. I hate these hypothetical games.

Okay let's talk facts. MJ was beaten by Shaq & Penny in the 1995 eastern conference finals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4OuP7DTRc&t=6474s He desperately needed Rodman's help to overcome them in 1996.

Rodman's offensive rebounding won that 1996 series, most long time Bulls fans agree.

Jordan not only shot terribly from the field, he was absolute s--- in the fourth quarters too (shot 33.3% in them, and only 15.4% in the fourth quarters of the three close games). In the two close wins of the series, Rodman averaged 11 offensive rebounds/game. He was setting records, and when MJ was shooting the team out of the game with bricks (rest of the team struggled shooting wise too), it was Rodman getting all those rebounds to give Bulls the extra possessions. Bulls as a team shot much lower than Sonics in that series...why do you think they still won? They got 34 more possessions from offensive rebounds (Rodman alone had 41!) MJ's scoring could have been replaced in that series, but Rodman's historic offensive rebounding? Not so much.

Rodman should have been the MVP of that Finals. The Bulls shot much worse from the field than the Sonics in the Finals but still won. How did that happen? Simple. The Bulls got more shot opportunities from offensive rebounds basically negating many of their misses. Rodman, by himself, secured and additional 41 possessions for the Bulls with his offensive rebounding including 2 games where he tied an NBA Finals record. That's like playing H-O-R-S-E and someone giving you multiple "do overs" after you've missed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 8/19/2018 at 12:30 AM, GmGodine said:

Kevin Love is better than rodman!!!! 

But then I saw you put 80’s. 

On 8/18/2018 at 10:52 PM, Auction>Snake said:

Put Jordan on the Cavs last season instead of LeBron they wouldn't make playoffs. 

On 8/19/2018 at 6:05 AM, Auction>Snake said:

Okay let's talk facts. MJ was beaten by Shaq & Penny in the 1995 eastern conference finals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4OuP7DTRc&t=6474s He desperately needed Rodman's help to overcome them in 1996.

Rodman's offensive rebounding won that 1996 series, most long time Bulls fans agree.

Jordan not only shot terribly from the field, he was absolute s--- in the fourth quarters too (shot 33.3% in them, and only 15.4% in the fourth quarters of the three close games). In the two close wins of the series, Rodman averaged 11 offensive rebounds/game. He was setting records, and when MJ was shooting the team out of the game with bricks (rest of the team struggled shooting wise too), it was Rodman getting all those rebounds to give Bulls the extra possessions. Bulls as a team shot much lower than Sonics in that series...why do you think they still won? They got 34 more possessions from offensive rebounds (Rodman alone had 41!) MJ's scoring could have been replaced in that series, but Rodman's historic offensive rebounding? Not so much.

Rodman should have been the MVP of that Finals. The Bulls shot much worse from the field than the Sonics in the Finals but still won. How did that happen? Simple. The Bulls got more shot opportunities from offensive rebounds basically negating many of their misses. Rodman, by himself, secured and additional 41 possessions for the Bulls with his offensive rebounding including 2 games where he tied an NBA Finals record. That's like playing H-O-R-S-E and someone giving you multiple "do overs" after you've missed.

???????????????????????????

• Like 1
On 8/18/2018 at 9:52 PM, Auction>Snake said:

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read, especially considering how weak the Eastern Conference has been as a whole since the 2000s. 

I just find it funny that people say LeBron is better than Jordan because "he's more talented" despite accolades and NBA Finals success favoring Jordan. More talent doesn't mean you're the GOAT without the accolades to prove it. That's why Tom Brady is the GOAT and not the more talented Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by Carlos Correa
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Carlos Correa said:

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read, especially considering how weak the Eastern Conference has been as a whole since the 2000s. 

I just find it funny that people say LeBron is better than Jordan because "he's more talented" despite accolades and NBA Finals success favoring Jordan. More talent doesn't mean you're the GOAT without the accolades to prove it. That's why Tom Brady is the GOAT and not the more talented Aaron Rodgers.

If john stockton malone Barkley and pippen all played on the same team vs Jordan he'd never get any accolades.

6 hours ago, Carlos Correa said:

Ehh I have time,

Lebron is more talented than Jordan.  Look don't quote me because in the morning I won't feel like going back and forth but lets take a look here.

Lebron was/is still bigger than Jordan had ever been.

Lebron developed a consistent 3, Jordan never "really developed" a 3 ball. Jordan shot less than 20% for 5 seasons.

Lebron played SF, PF, C. Micheal played SG except SF his wizard days,

Lebron 7 straight years NBA finals

Here is Lebron Career Stats so far in the playoffs;

6911 points

419 Steals

1687 assists

232 Blocks

2122 Rebounds

49% FG %

33% 3pt %

and thats's 13 seasons ( 9 with Cleveland and 4 with Miami)

Jordan Career Stats in playoffs;

5987 points

376 steals

1022 assists

158 blocks

1152 Rebounds

48% FG%

33% 3pt %

and that's 13 seasons with Chicago ( didn't make the playoffs with the Wizards)

We can go in circles all day about (Jordan is 6-0 in the finals, and Rodman was the MVP one year and Lebron choked 2011 season) whatever you want to debate or make excuses for either player. At the end of the day, Lebron body of work is a beefed up Jordan. Imagine Jordan on steroids. That's Lebron. 

2 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Ehh I have time,

Lebron is more talented than Jordan.  Look don't quote me because in the morning I won't feel like going back and forth but lets take a look here.

Lebron developed a consistent 3, Jordan never "really developed" a 3 ball. Jordan shot less than 20% for 5 seasons.

6911 points

419 Steals

1687 assists

232 Blocks

2122 Rebounds

49% FG %

33% 3pt %

5987 points

376 steals

1022 assists

158 blocks

1152 Rebounds

48% FG%

33% 3pt %

We can go in circles all day about (Jordan is 6-0 in the finals, and Rodman was the MVP one year and Lebron choked 2011 season) whatever you want to debate or make excuses for either player. At the end of the day, Lebron body of work is a beefed up Jordan. Imagine Jordan on steroids. That's Lebron. 

I'm sorta confused on why you'd use raw stats instead of averages, though, considering LeBron has played  239 playoff games to Jordan's 179.  You could use the exact same criteria

33.4 vs. 28.9

2.1 vs 1.8

5.7 vs 7.1

0.9 vs 1.0

6.4 vs 8.9

Using counting stats when averages are right there and, for basketball more intuitive is doubly strange when you consider that in the playoffs, more games is both a good thing (you got further in the playoffs), and a bad thing (your series went longer) without context, as well as a nothing thing (Jordan's first round were best of 5, LeBron's were best of 7).

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Ehh I have time,

6911 points

419 Steals

1687 assists

232 Blocks

2122 Rebounds

49% FG %

33% 3pt %

5987 points

376 steals

1022 assists

158 blocks

1152 Rebounds

48% FG%

33% 3pt %

Agree to disagree, and I don't think numbers show the whole picture, I think Jordan was the better player.