NBC Sports Edge Forums

19 year-old becomes mayor of Oklahoma town

BigH

I don't know about you guys but I couldn't handle any real responsibility when I was nineteen...wonder if he could get a beer after a hard day at work...

I hope it works out and earns some respect for the younger generation. Hopefully he does something so great that makes it nationwide news.

"He doesn't have the baggage. He doesn't owe anybody anything," said cafe owner Gary Armstrong. "It's sort of a fresh start for Muskogee."

That statement is spot on in most cases. We elect these older gentlemen into offices and such all over the US and they already have their groups set up and the people they know and owe before they get into office. I hate how everything is political and for you to almost do anything in life, you must know the right people. It is tough to get a job in the town I live in without knowing somebody that has some pole and is willing to to get you in. It has nothing to do with who is more qualified, it is who you know, which is sad and frustrating as a person who grew up in a family with not too many ties to quality resources.

Archived