NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rate My Team #1 (WHIR)

Hey guys! This was my first team of the season and I'm wondering what you think. My initial regret is taking Brees high when similar QBs can be drafted later, but I think I can live with that. Any picks you didn't like? Picks you did? Moves you think I should make?

10 Team Yahoo Standard (0.5 PPR)

QB Brees (7.01)

WR Evans (2.10)

WR Adams (3.01)

RB Gurley (1.01)

RB Mixon (4.10)

TE Walker (9.01)

W/R/T Jeffery (5.01)

K Butker (15.01)

DEF -stream-

BE D. Thomas (6.10)

BE Mack (8.10)

BE Fuller (10.10)

BE Thompson (11.01)

BE Johnson Jr (12.10)

BE C. Davis (13.01)

BE Chubb (14.10)

Thanks for responding, and leave your links below :)

It's a pretty solid team.  I probly woulda drafted a D instead of Chubb, though (or at least instead of a K), but it shouldn't hurt you too much.

You might consider San Francisco's D...  I'm sure they're still on waivers.  Over the first half of 2017, they were the #30 fantasy defense, but over the last four weeks of the season, they were the #14 fantasy defense.  Then they went and got Richard Sherman...

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

It's a pretty solid team.  I probly woulda drafted a D instead of Chubb, though (or at least instead of a K), but it shouldn't hurt you too much.

You might consider San Francisco's D...  I'm sure they're still on waivers.  Over the first half of 2017, they were the #30 fantasy defense, but over the last four weeks of the season, they were the #14 fantasy defense.  Then they went and got Richard Sherman...

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into San Fran I just thought with so much time left until the season starts I was best off running an extra bench spot for the time being sacrificing either K/DEF to do that. I'll keep them in mind for sure!

1 hour ago, DonaldsDucks said:

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into San Fran I just thought with so much time left until the season starts I was best off running an extra bench spot for the time being sacrificing either K/DEF to do that. I'll keep them in mind for sure!

10 team league just stream D's.  Last year I had Jax D in one league and streamed in the other.  In the playoffs the streaming D's got me more points

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DonaldsDucks said:

Hey guys! This was my first team of the season and I'm wondering what you think. My initial regret is taking Brees high when similar QBs can be drafted later, but I think I can live with that. Any picks you didn't like? Picks you did? Moves you think I should make?

10 Team Yahoo Standard (0.5 PPR)

QB Brees (7.01)

WR Evans (2.10)

WR Adams (3.01)

RB Gurley (1.01)

RB Mixon (4.10)

TE Walker (9.01)

W/R/T Jeffery (5.01)

K Butker (15.01)

DEF -stream-

BE D. Thomas (6.10)

BE Mack (8.10)

BE Fuller (10.10)

BE Thompson (11.01)

BE Johnson Jr (12.10)

BE C. Davis (13.01)

BE Chubb (14.10)

Thanks for responding, and leave your links below :)

Disagree with Axe regarding solidity (because we disagree with several players). Beyond Gurley, I don't see the backfield as solid. Mixon should benefit from offensive line improvement, though regarding how much Gio we see this year it's an unknown (he outperformed MIxon last season and earn at least some time for this season); I think you could've done better at 2.10. Because your other star RB (Chubb) will be lost in a backfield with Duke and Hyde, you essentially have to wait for an injury for him (or Duke) to become fantasy reliable. In 0.5 PPR, Thompson will not be enough with Guice around.

Also not confident about receiving corps, Evans with the competition for targets, Jeffrey the same. I'm not as high on DAdams as everyone else. DThomas will help to mediate, and Corey Davis may (should) emerge, but all in all for a 10-team league, I see the roster as lacking. My two cents.

• Thanks 1

When I read about your regret about drafting Brees too high, I thought that you grabbed him 5th round or sooner.  But, the 7th is fine, he's going to have a great season.

You have a solid base to work with and a lot will change from now until September.  Just stay active on the wire, other teams might react to coach speak and drop players that you can snap up.

• Thanks 1

A couple observations:

Corey Davis in the 13th round is highway robbery. I think he returns solid WR2 production with a couple WR1 weeks sprinkled in there. Nice grab there as I’ve seen him go in the 7-8-9 round range. 

Your running backs are definitely your weakest position, but Gurley should be able to hold your RB steed afloat while your elite wideouts score points in bunches. Im on the Mixon hype train, and I can smell a top 10 season coming - getting him at the end of the 4th is good value in relation to where I’ve seen him going. 

In in regards to Brees in the 7th. Yes, you probably could have waited and grabbed a Stafford/Mahommes/Ryan/Rivers a few rounds later, but don’t sweat it. Brees current ADP is right around the 7th so you didn’t really stretch for him all that much. 

Overall, your team looks solid. Play the wire, maybe trade one of your elite wideouts for additional RB depth, and you should be just fine. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Disagree with Axe regarding solidity (because we disagree with several players). Beyond Gurley, I don't see the backfield as solid. Mixon should benefit from offensive line improvement, though regarding how much Gio we see this year it's an unknown (he outperformed MIxon last season and earn at least some time for this season); I think you could've done better at 2.10. Because your other star RB (Chubb) will be lost in a backfield with Duke and Hyde, you essentially have to wait for an injury for him (or Duke) to become fantasy reliable. In 0.5 PPR, Thompson will not be enough with Guice around.

Also not confident about receiving corps, Evans with the competition for targets, Jeffrey the same. I'm not as high on DAdams as everyone else. DThomas will help to mediate, and Corey Davis may (should) emerge, but all in all for a 10-team league, I see the roster as lacking. My two cents.

Fair enough! I definitely think my RBs are lacking a bit but I was trying to not fully get caught with drafting positionally and to just pick value. I also am not a huge fan of the 2/3 turn this year and think going WR/WR was my best option at the time and those were the BPAs. Thanks for the feedback!

3 hours ago, ncbobcats said:

When I read about your regret about drafting Brees too high, I thought that you grabbed him 5th round or sooner.  But, the 7th is fine, he's going to have a great season.

You have a solid base to work with and a lot will change from now until September.  Just stay active on the wire, other teams might react to coach speak and drop players that you can snap up.

Thank you! I will probably rotate the Chubb spot if need be this summer. I think that'll

give me a little more flexibilty.

1 hour ago, Mr2Saint said:

A couple observations:

Corey Davis in the 13th round is highway robbery. I think he returns solid WR2 production with a couple WR1 weeks sprinkled in there. Nice grab there as I’ve seen him go in the 7-8-9 round range. 

Your running backs are definitely your weakest position, but Gurley should be able to hold your RB steed afloat while your elite wideouts score points in bunches. Im on the Mixon hype train, and I can smell a top 10 season coming - getting him at the end of the 4th is good value in relation to where I’ve seen him going. 

In in regards to Brees in the 7th. Yes, you probably could have waited and grabbed a Stafford/Mahommes/Ryan/Rivers a few rounds later, but don’t sweat it. Brees current ADP is right around the 7th so you didn’t really stretch for him all that much. 

Overall, your team looks solid. Play the wire, maybe trade one of your elite wideouts for additional RB depth, and you should be just fine. 

Good luck!

Appreciate the response :) I think I am going to explore dealing one of Jeffery/DT for a RB and that'll give me a deeper team since I have no issues starting Fuller/Davis when injuries/bye weeks arrise, and it's some Mixon insurance.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Beyond Gurley, I don't see the backfield as solid.

Well don't look beyond Gurley then.  I can't really see how the #1 and #11 PPR RBs (on a ppg basis) from last year are NOT a solid pair, even if Mixon does nothing.  Maybe Thompson drops from #11 to #15 or so, but they're not going to shelve him after posting 800 yards and 6 TDs in 10 games, averaging 4.6 yards per carry and 13.1 yards per reception--and Alex Smith is entirely comfortable dumping off to his RBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

Well don't look beyond Gurley then.  I can't really see how the #1 and #11 PPR RBs (on a ppg basis) from last year are NOT a solid pair, even if Mixon does nothing.  Maybe Thompson drops from #11 to #15 or so, but they're not going to shelve him after posting 800 yards and 6 TDs in 10 games, averaging 4.6 yards per carry and 13.1 yards per reception--and Alex Smith is entirely comfortable dumping off to his RBs.

First, I begin every criticism with, Beyond Gurley I don't see the backfield as solid.

Second, I'm a 'Nole alumnus, and I love CThompson for that alone, but more for his performance last season. Thing is, CThompson was essentially running unopposed last season, and this season his opposition is Guice, and I expect Guice to command a lion's share and to produce and although I agree he won't be shelved, I wouldn't want to rely on CThompson as my second RB.

2 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

First, I begin every criticism with, Beyond Gurley I don't see the backfield as solid.

Second, I'm a 'Nole alumnus, and I love CThompson for that alone, but more for his performance last season. Thing is, CThompson was essentially running unopposed last season, and this season his opposition is Guice, and I expect Guice to command a lion's share and to produce and although I agree he won't be shelved, I wouldn't want to rely on CThompson as my second RB.

Guice isn't his "opposition" any more than Mark Ingram is Alvin Kamara's "opposition."

Thompson will still feast on passing downs, which is where he made hay last season.  He actually "rushed" for less than 300 yards.  And like Danny Woodhead and Darren Sproles before him, he will get enough work on passing downs to make him a legit RB2 in PPR leagues.