NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Draft help for the 4 spot

I'm up 4th in a 12 team PPR.   In the first few rounds, Elliott, Gordon, D. Adams, and Tyreke are gone.

The obvious pick seems to be David Johnson.   However if Johnson goes at 3, I think Brown seems to be the best choice. 

That being said...is it a huge leap to take Hopkins over Johnson if Brown is gone?  

From the mocks I've done, I've been taking a RB at the 2.9 either way.   Usually Freeman.   Which of these seems like a better start?

1.4 : Johnson

2.9:  Freeman

3.4:  Diggs

OR

1.4: Hopkins

2.9: Freeman

3.4: McKinnon

9 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I'm up 4th in a 12 team PPR.   In the first few rounds, Elliott, Gordon, D. Adams, and Tyreke are gone.

Wait, what?  Those were the first few picks?  But that's four players; how are you picking #4 with four players already off the board?

1 minute ago, Axe Elf said:

Wait, what?  Those were the first few picks?  But that's four players; how are you picking #4 with four players already off the board?

Sorry...I should have added that those are keepers that are not available in the first few rounds.  When I mock with those parameters, I most often end up with the above choices.   

4 minutes ago, CoolandNormal said:

Do you have any keepers yourself? 

Unfortunately not.    One keeper per team that has to have been drafted in Round 3 or later (and on the roster at end of season.

Can keep for 2 more seasons losing a progressively higher pick each year.  

I could potentially keep Mike Williams as a 10th Round pick but as it stands now, I can redraft him later on if I want him.     

Other than that, it would be Crabtree in the 3rd or...Doug Martin in the 5th.  

1. D. Johnson

2. Freeman

3. McKinnon

is what I would end up doing if possible.  Assuming you can flex a 3rd RB.  Theres WR in rounds 4+ that will be better than the RBs you get late round like Demaryius Thomas, Golden Tate, Julian Edelmen, Marvin Jones, Pierre Garcon etc

13 minutes ago, CoolandNormal said:

1. D. Johnson

2. Freeman

3. McKinnon

is what I would end up doing if possible.  Assuming you can flex a 3rd RB.  Theres WR in rounds 4+ that will be better than the RBs you get late round like Demaryius Thomas, Golden Tate, Julian Edelmen, Marvin Jones, Pierre Garcon etc

Thanks.   Yeah...I've actually tried that a few times in a Mock Draft.   But it seems to force my hand to have to pick up WR in 4,5,6 and then lose some flexibility with other positions.   Demarius doesn't usually make it back to me at the 4.9.  It's most often JuJu, Tate, or Crabtree.  Besides the early keepers I listed above, Fitzgerald, Baldwin, and Thielen are also gone so it really gets thin very quickly.  

18 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

DJ for sure. Lock down one of those top RBs

Here are the points that I struggle with in Johnson over Hopkins:

1) Houston has a better offense and has one of the easiest schedules (vs. Pass)

2) Arizona has one of the toughest schedules (vs Pass and vs Run)

3) Hopkins was one of the most consistent WR last season.  He was a WR 1 about half the time and a WR 2 or better about 90% of the time. 

4)  The gap between Hopkins and a round 3 WR looks larger than the gap between Johnson and a round 3 RB.

I'm obviously trying to talk myself into Hopkins  but I'm still leaning toward DJ.  

Although I can't come up with much backup for that decision other than not passing up one of the stud RBs.

22 hours ago, K197040 said:

The obvious pick seems to be David Johnson.   However if Johnson goes at 3, I think Brown seems to be the best choice. 

That being said...is it a huge leap to take Hopkins over Johnson if Brown is gone?  

From the mocks I've done, I've been taking a RB at the 2.9 either way.   Usually Freeman.   Which of these seems like a better start?

1.4 : Johnson

2.9:  Freeman

3.4:  Diggs

OR

1.4: Hopkins

2.9: Freeman

3.4: McKinnon

Don’t read too much into the strength of schedule.  So much changes from year to year.  That’s something you start worrying about a few weeks into the season.  

And there is a huge difference between DJ and those 3rd round RBs in my opinion.  Even Freeman.  

That said AB is awesome, but WR is easier to find than workhorse RBs.

• Like 1