NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

smeeze

Jones was the better runner... yes he fumbled for the first time ever... but his pass pro was great. ..and his running was great.... protect Rodgers see the field.... don't need a knee jerk reaction cause of what happened to ty montgomery.... but if we do let's send aaron jones to Tampa so he can beast all to himself...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lebowski54 said:

The guy was suspended the first couple of weeks and has had to work his way into the position he’s currently in. If you haven’t been keeping track of how things have progressed each week, why even attempt to have an opinion. So you believe he has PEAKED in terms of snap share? That makes absolutely no sense considering every single week his touches have increased. They only emphasized more run involvement after the bye. Then had to face two of the very few teams that can force them to play from behind (ultimately reducing his usage) yet he still has increased in touches the past two weeks. Considering all of the interacting variables, it’s logical to surmise he will be EVEN MORE involved considering THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED WITH EACH PASSING WEEK. 

Brah Jones sucks. Mediocrity at its finest. Was given the keys to the car and he dented the fender. A truly talented rb would’ve taken this opportunity and capitalized. All Jones did was confirm he’ll be splitting carries 50/50 at best with Williams the rest of the season. 

5 hours ago, Lebowski54 said:

And if one RB is getting over 70% of touches, then it’s not a committee.

Which Aaron Jones has still yet to do through 9 weeks.

On a team that’s top 5 in pass attempts and bottom 5 in rush attempts (incl. Rodg’s attempts).

That refuses to run in the red zone.

And doesn’t throw to said player.

But hey, we’re all dumb and can’t use our brains for not realizing this fantasy greatness occurring right before our eyes.

42 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

Which Aaron Jones has still yet to do through 9 weeks.

On a team that’s top 5 in pass attempts and bottom 5 in rush attempts (incl. Rodg’s attempts).

That refuses to run in the red zone.

And doesn’t throw to said player.

But hey, we’re all dumb and can’t use our brains for not realizing this fantasy greatness occurring right before our eyes.

Yup. Keep waiting for the breakout, but don't think it's going to happen. J. Williams still getting too many touches and this team just refuses to run on the goal line. Insanity. 

Can't trust A. Jones as more than a flex. Too bad. Has the potential to be an RB1/RB2.

It looked like Jones was on his way to 100 yards rushing until he had that costly fumble. It is baffling that they don't run the ball at all near the goal line.  This is the first time I have been able to watch a Packer game since Jones has been back.  I have to say this isn't one of those really annoying time shares like in Denver where they will throw out a different RB every other play, so it is impossible for said RB's to get into a rhythm.  At least in this timeshare both RB's get a whole series to themselves.  

6 hours ago, Lebowski54 said:

According to forced missed tackle percent, yards after contact, ypc...etc he’s better than those guys since coming into the league. Obviously a much smaller sample size, but after over 150 touches, you can conclude with a high confidence interval that his ability is sustainable. And unless you’ve watched film on Jones, save your breathe baby D. Your opinion is void 

If you think Jones is anywhere near Kamara in talent you’re in another realm of delusion.

47 minutes ago, chief79 said:

It looked like Jones was on his way to 100 yards rushing until he had that costly fumble. It is baffling that they don't run the ball at all near the goal line.  This is the first time I have been able to watch a Packer game since Jones has been back.  I have to say this isn't one of those really annoying time shares like in Denver where they will throw out a different RB every other play, so it is impossible for said RB's to get into a rhythm.  At least in this timeshare both RB's get a whole series to themselves.  

3 straight passes on 1st and goal from the 1 without trying AJ once was maddening.  Unreal you dont try one rushing play there.  Packers really played poorly last night, basically just good enough to hang in the game but not win it. 

2 minutes ago, skedssays said:

We're all biased obviously, but the Packers offense got as far as the Patriots 44 during the Williams drives last night.  I think the answer is clear here.

I agree the answer is clear.....the Packers receivers need to run better routes. There seemed to be some miscommunication at times which is uncharacteristic for a Rodgers led offense. Run better routes and extend drives.

You nailed it.

1 minute ago, jtbgator said:

I dunno guys, I was encouraged last night. He was out there a lot and he produced. Clearly the #1 option. Good enough for me. His athleticism and potential upside is good enough. JW is a JAG. 

Packers are about to be in tank mode I wonder if they will be less inclined to be balanced as they sink out of playoff picture and Rodgers wants to just hit personal milestones. 

24 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

3 straight passes on 1st and goal from the 1 without trying AJ once was maddening.  Unreal you dont try one rushing play there.  Packers really played poorly last night, basically just good enough to hang in the game but not win it. 

Really amazing how much MM owes his job to Rodgers. The Packers were running very well last night so not sticking with it makes no sense. They were gaining chunks of yardage while running clock, keeping Brady off the field

12 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

I dunno guys, I was encouraged last night. He was out there a lot and he produced. Clearly the #1 option. Good enough for me. His athleticism and potential upside is good enough. JW is a JAG. 

I swear I see this exact same post nearly every week written different ways. We are 9 weeks in. I think Jones is who he is at this point and the Packers' philosophy on offense isn't going to change.

The RW blurb and the pro-Aaron Jones crowd are vastly underestimating just how devastating that fumble was last night.  Mid-way through the third quarter, coming off a big stop of Brady,  the score was tied 17-17.  The Packers had the momentum, and they were driving down the field to take the lead.  Then Jones committed a soft fumble and gave the ball to the other team.  And he was rarely heard from after that.  YPC and all that other stuff mean NOTHING if the team can't count on a player holding on to the ball.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The RW blurb and the pro-Aaron Jones crowd are vastly underestimating just how devastating that fumble was last night.  Mid-way through the third quarter, coming off a big stop of Brady,  the score was tied 17-17.  The Packers had the momentum, and they were driving down the field to take the lead.  Then Jones committed a soft fumble and gave the ball to the other team.  And he was rarely heard from after that.  YPC and all that other stuff mean NOTHING if the team can't count on a player holding on to the ball.

I agree, he looked great up until that point, but that fumble changed the game. It was flaky at best, but it will affect future his future use going forward. The GB game-calling is obnoxious though, switching out RBs each series has got to be a 'tell' for most defenses, particularly given the fact that Williams is so blah in the run game. Jones will remain on my bench ROS, but not sure he can be counted on this year given this coaching staff.

13 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Exactly. I don't think people that keep talking about "future progression" are factoring in that costly fumble. It seems they are just looking on the carry stat to illustrate why he hasn't hit a plateau. If they are factoring in his rising carries over the last two weeks as reason for continued positive progression, I think that it would be prudent to factor in that fumble as well in terms of what we should look at "going forward". Especially, after a player just got traded away for a fumble, albeit less talented and more critical of a play.

At the end of the day. this below nailed it....

1 hour ago, devaster said:

I swear I see this exact same post nearly every week written different ways. We are 9 weeks in. I think Jones is who he is at this point and the Packers' philosophy on offense isn't going to change.

Besides the fumble we got pretty much what was expected, at least to me. 9.6 points in 1/2 PPR, i was looking for around 10 with a goal line opportunity. I had him on my bench and decided to go with JG but i liked what I saw. Pats run D is middle of road even though stats may say they are a bit better. There will be better game flows going forward where packers take the lead and he gets more touches. I expected this to be a passing game shootout and everyone knows inside the 10 rodgers still likes to throw it. 

I do not think the fumble will be as costly as a lot of people think. Yes, it was a bad time to fumble the ball away but he is miles ahead of Williams as a runner. As bad as MM is, no way do they automatically decide williams is the new lead back. Another good point was made that we cant blame everything on MM. Rodgers changes the plays at the line so often we really dont know how many actual run plays were called. Rodgers loves to sling it. If he sees a good match up, he is going to cancel a run play for the pass every time.

With that said, he will be in consideration for my flex spot with AJG out and Ingram not being used how I thought. I think we have to see how it goes next weekend vs Miami. He should be in the rankings around 22 or so. After that, only the Minn game would scare me away if he is getting 15-20 touches per game.

8 hours ago, munde53 said:

We don't know what the snap count is for this week yet but you still can't really say that he would have broken 70% if he didn't fumble because we simply don't know. There was at least one drive where Williams rotated in after Jones had a few carries so the same thing could have happened in the drive Jones fumbled if it had been prolonged. Jones only lost 3 snaps to Williams after the fumble which you could easily argue that those snaps would have gone to Williams anyway apart of their usual rotation. 

Williams had several series completely to himself prior to Jones fumbling so him getting the series after the fumble was not necessarily due to the fumble. 

Either way we're going around in circles. I look forward to seeing what this RBBC will bring in week 10. 

Williams DID NOT come in on ANY SERIES that Jones STARTED. Wtf are you even talking about. But on multiple series JONES came in on drives Williams started. So no, there would be absolutely no basis for thinking Williams would come in on a drive where Jones was running very well (as usual). If not for that fumble, Jones easily has 100 yards and a possible score. And Jones had a couple carries near or inside the 5 yard line. They don’t run as often as they should inside the 5, but Jones can easily take any carry inside the 10 into the end zone. At this point, you’re merely arguing just to argue. I’m glad there’s at least a couple of people on here who didn’t draft Williams. Many of you seem hurt because Jones is the man lol. We get it, you’re losing in fantasy. No need to take it out on the Aaron Jones thread. 

1 minute ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

Guess he wasn't ready for primetime. Eating crow taste good! lol

Well he could have easily had 100 yards and was very close to at least 1 TD. The difference between what you projected and what actually occurred rests on much smaller deciding factors than what most realize. He has some big games ahead, that’s for sure. 

Archived