NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

smeeze

I dropped Jones during their bye due. I really felt like I was going to regret it after Ty was traded but it's clear that Jones will continue to alternate series with Williams in a pass heavy offense. Is Jones the best RB on the team? Yes. Will he get enough opportunities without an injury to Williams? No. After watching the game last night I have zero regrets about dropping Jones. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, devaster said:

Paging RonnieRonaldo...

3 minutes ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

Guess he wasn't ready for primetime. Eating crow taste good! lol

Actually, your prediction wasn't that way off.  Yardage wise you were spot on.  And the TD's may have been there if he doesn't get tackled at the 1 yard line, or if MM decides to run it versus passing three times at the 1.  70 yards and a TD or two would have been my prediction. 

Just now, nbay23 said:

Actually, your prediction wasn't that way off.  Yardage wise you were spot on.  And the TD's may have been there if he doesn't get tackled at the 1 yard line, or if MM decides to run it versus passing three times at the 1.  70 yards and a TD or two would have been my prediction. 

The announcers said the Packers were one of the most pass heavy offenses at the goal line ...  That limits Jones upside but maybe if they were playing from ahead more, they would just keep it on the ground more, even at the goal line.

1 minute ago, nbay23 said:

I'll admit I was on the bullish side. Then again, it's fun to ride the hype train.  Also, this good represent a good buy low moment, as that fumble was a low point for him.  They went back to him after it too.  Lead RB in a top offense lead by ARodge. 

3 minutes ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

I'll admit I was on the bullish side. Then again, it's fun to ride the hype train.  Also, this good represent a good buy low moment, as that fumble was a low point for him.  They went back to him after it too.  Lead RB in a top offense lead by ARodge. 

Lol 2 TDs was certainly a slight stretch, but it really was closer than it may seem. He should have kept that toss to the outside on the 5. By going inside it forced the defender to change direction and allowed the ref see the pull of his jersey, thus causing a holding call (although he didn’t get in anyways, but would have if he kept it outside). Jones has been refining his game very well since last year. He’s a great buy low. That game shouldn’t be discouraging to anyone. 70% snap share is plenty enough in that offense 

The Good:

Jones started and was in there A LOT. So much so I was wondering if he would get tired.

As usual, he had some explosive runs and gashed them for 5.9 YPC

Had some noticeably good blocks

They went right back to Jones after the fumble.

The Bad:

The playcalling. Jones got them inside the 5 then they threw 3 straight plays and settled for a FG. Dumb. This was a reminder, as you guys said, Packers are a pass first team. Even near the GL, unless your name is John Kuhn.

Rodgers said in the post game that the offense is a mess, out of synch. Especially in the biggest of moments.

The Ugly:

That fumble. I couldn’t decide if it was a great defensive play or Jones blew it… Whatever the case, ugly.

1 minute ago, austin316 said:

The Good:

Jones started and was in there A LOT. So much so I was wondering if he would get tired.

As usual, he had some explosive runs and gashed them for 5.9 YPC

Had some noticeably good blocks

They went right back to Jones after the fumble.

The Bad:

The playcalling. Jones got them inside the 5 then they threw 3 straight plays and settled for a FG. Dumb. This was a reminder, as you guys said, Packers are a pass first team. Even near the GL, unless your name is John Kuhn.

Rodgers said in the post game that the offense is a mess, out of synch. Especially in the biggest of moments.

The Ugly:

That fumble. I couldn’t decide if it was a great play or Jones blew it… Whatever the case, ugly.

Jones blocked very well. Williams on the other hand actually blew a couple of major assignments. I wouldn’t put too much stock into the fumble. It was an otherwise great run, but just a fluky occurrence. 

1 minute ago, Lebowski54 said:

I was surprised they brought him back in the game. I think that’s more telling than anything because that was maybe a game deciding fumble. Just glad they didn’t immediately cut him, but would be nice if he was on the Eagles. 

Maybe the coaching staff has him run 20-30 wind sprints or something. They are probably irked but they see what we see. They know he churns out ypc and he is their best running weapon. Sure everyone is disappointed from fantasy owners to his team including himself....He isnt going to miami and getting just 5 touches thats for sure. Im going with an early guess of 14/83/1 and 1/4/0. 

2 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Maybe the coaching staff has him run 20-30 wind sprints or something. They are probably irked but they see what we see. They know he churns out ypc and he is their best running weapon. Sure everyone is disappointed from fantasy owners to his team including himself....He isnt going to miami and getting just 5 touches thats for sure. Im going with an early guess of 14/83/1 and 1/4/0. 

No doubt. I see a big rebound game for him in Miami. I’d project at least 15 touches and 100+ overall yards. Hopefully a score to go with it. I could legitimately see him having a big game against Miami though. Will be interesting watching the rest of the way. There’s not a single team they should be trailing the rest of the year 

And Jones is my 4th RB in every league. I don’t even need the guy to produce, but people really don’t understand how good he is. Like Collinsworth said last night “he’s a very clever runner”. Jones really uses his blocks very well. In the NFL I know they really emphasize taking what the defense gives and not looking for a home run every time, but I think that actually bit him on that toss inside the 5. He took the designed lane but should have kept outside for the easy 6. Aaron Jones will get even better. 

4 hours ago, Lebowski54 said:

Williams DID NOT come in on ANY SERIES that Jones STARTED. Wtf are you even talking about. But on multiple series JONES came in on drives Williams started. So no, there would be absolutely no basis for thinking Williams would come in on a drive where Jones was running very well (as usual). If not for that fumble, Jones easily has 100 yards and a possible score. And Jones had a couple carries near or inside the 5 yard line. They don’t run as often as they should inside the 5, but Jones can easily take any carry inside the 10 into the end zone. At this point, you’re merely arguing just to argue. I’m glad there’s at least a couple of people on here who didn’t draft Williams. Many of you seem hurt because Jones is the man lol. We get it, you’re losing in fantasy. No need to take it out on the Aaron Jones thread. 

Yeah, you must not have been paying much attention during the game. Jones started the 3rd drive (Packers 1st TD) and Williams rotated in after Jones had a few carries. So again, stop trying to makeup "facts" to fit your argument. 

3 hours ago, Lebowski54 said:

And Jones is my 4th RB in every league. I don’t even need the guy to produce, but people really don’t understand how good he is. Like Collinsworth said last night “he’s a very clever runner”. Jones really uses his blocks very well. In the NFL I know they really emphasize taking what the defense gives and not looking for a home run every time, but I think that actually bit him on that toss inside the 5. He took the designed lane but should have kept outside for the easy 6. Aaron Jones will get even better. 

They do. The problem is McCarthy doesn't.

Jones played 43/74 snaps. 58%. He ran 22 routes vs 5 the week before which is VERY encouraging. Still, McCarthy is an idiot so it will probably stay somewhat similar and they will probably keep passing at the 1 instead of running it in like most teams do. He is really talented though, too bad he is on the packers.

honestly packers losing again is the best thing that could have happened. maybe they'll notice that running jones in the red zone is better than running 3 pass plays and end up with a field goal.

8 minutes ago, HOF12 said:

honestly packers losing again is the best thing that could have happened. maybe they'll notice that running jones in the red zone is better than running 3 pass plays and end up with a field goal.

Or they could choose to run Jamaal more. Because obviously McCarthy or Rodgers aren't the problem. <_<

6 hours ago, Lebowski54 said:

They give him burn and he fumbled the game and maybe their playoffs hopes away.

9 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

3 straight passes on 1st and goal from the 1 without trying AJ once was maddening.  Unreal you dont try one rushing play there.  Packers really played poorly last night, basically just good enough to hang in the game but not win it. 

I mean, they scored in that particular scenario so what’s the issue? I trust Rodgers throwing to Graham/Adams/Cobb/MVS personally much more than I do Aaron Jones from the 2 yard line.

It’s not that ridiculous.

1 hour ago, HOF12 said:

The first RZ opportunity was 1st and 9 with goal to go. The second was 1st and 2 with goal to go and they scored on a pass. Rodgers is elite in the red zone. They certainly need to run the ball in the RZ to keep teams hoenst, but don’t get disillusioned from reality.

They did NOT lose last night because of their RZ playcalling. And one can argue Jones’ 4th quarter fumble was much more costly than them getting 3 in the first quarter.

1 minute ago, uk4400 said:

Does he go off against Miami? He has 30 point potential like Conner, Gurley, and Kamara do talent wise, but the opportunity is not there. 

In this offense with this coach, he does not have 30 point potential.   Realistically.

10 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

I’ve never seen so much over reaction to a damn fumble in all of my life. 

For real?  

I’ve never seen such a boneheaded coach that won’t play his clear #1 RB.

the fumble gives him one more reason

Archived