Paul George 2018-2019 Season Outlook

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I drafted Paul George.   Turns out I've got Kevin Durant on crack    

So good. This guy is the real feel good, comeback story of the NBA. Not Rose.    I don't even roster him, but man, he is the real deal. Just goes out and plays his game, which is so fundamen

hi, my name is _____ and im addicted to trading...players in fantasy basketball

Out the rest of the week... seriously. I'm toast

Ugh when I started this week my hope was that I got 80-90% of what my opponent got out of harden and I could handle the rest. Instead I got 2 missed games from George (and a missed game from Love for rest) and Harden almost dropping 60... no big deal...

This is one of those weeks after a whole season of meticulously crafting a great team that I think I might not play fantasy again next year. I think If by some miracle I make it through this ridiculous week that I'll be pretty well positioned to win it all, but this out of no where crap just has me pissed off

Edited by RCRanger03
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

Out the rest of the week... seriously. I'm toast

Ugh when I started this week my hope was that I got 80-90% of what my opponent got out of harden and I could handle the rest. Instead I got 2 missed games from George (and a missed game from Love for rest) and Harden almost dropping 60... no big deal...

This is one of those weeks after a whole season of meticulously crafting a great team that I think I might not play fantasy again next year. I think If by some miracle I make it through this ridiculous week that I'll be pretty well positioned to win it all, but this out of no where crap just has me pissed off

I empathise bro.

I’m in a super competitive roto league and need all the stats I can get. Been hammered by injuries (20 games played behind the #2 team, I’m #1 right now because of the pickups and trades I’ve made).

PG out, Embiid out, Klay questionable. Rebounds 3s and steals are a dogfight between four top teams — not having these guys will/have hurt.

2 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

This is one of those weeks after a whole season of meticulously crafting a great team that I think I might not play fantasy again next year.

This very thought went through my head so many times this year in both fantasy football and basketball. The amount of crazy things that had to happen just to barely lose a matchup is enough to make anyone aware of it go crazy. Things that nobody could predict, especially. Injuries of course being one of the main culprits, but regular in-game action too.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, cbsholy said:

This very thought went through my head so many times this year in both fantasy football and basketball. The amount of crazy things that had to happen just to barely lose a matchup is enough to make anyone aware of it go crazy. Things that nobody could predict, especially. Injuries of course being one of the main culprits, but regular in-game action too.

I hear you. It’s maddening. I think I’m done with head to head it’s just so soul crushing. Playoffs started this week and have embiid Paul George and sabonis. After destroying this league for 95% of the year playoffs arrive and I might get bounced by Team Aaron Gordon. 

10 minutes ago, molski said:

I hear you. It’s maddening. I think I’m done with head to head it’s just so soul crushing. Playoffs started this week and have embiid Paul George and sabonis. After destroying this league for 95% of the year playoffs arrive and I might get bounced by Team Aaron Gordon. 

Wow that sucks.  I have those same 3 players but playoffs start on the 18th for me (with the 1st round bye).  

8 hours ago, cbsholy said:

9 minutes ago, waylanderz said:

Wow that sucks.  I have those same 3 players but playoffs start on the 18th for me (with the 1st round bye).  

I got AD, PG, K Love all not playing today 😢

2 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Just play in deeper leagues and/or have deeper rosters. 

I think the deeper the league the more important become your best players like PG, Embiid etc. There is really no solution when the players that carry your team and you build around miss games. That's why roto is more fair although it's boring.

43 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

I think the deeper the league the more important become your best players like PG, Embiid etc. There is really no solution when the players that carry your team and you build around miss games. That's why roto is more fair although it's boring.

The true winner is determined in roto. I don’t like the fact that taurean prince and Jonas can win a league because they get hot at the right time. Makes almost all of the season pretty much pointless. HTH more exciting but damn it pisses me off every year around this time. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RipCity0 said:

Roto is what separates the men from the boys because roto is based on skill rather than luck/variability.  H2H is like fantasy football....75% luck-based in any given matchup. In the modern NBA the fluke factor increases even more due to the faux injuries/rest days that arbitrarily determine every H2H matchup. 

Also to say roto is boring is a subjective opinion, not a fact.  The nuance and skill involved in roto is far from boring imo.  I also don't understand the how having a match up and in some cases an entire season determined by injury or random resting players strikes H2H advocates as exciting.  To each his own I suppose. 

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Roto is what separates the men from the boys because roto is based on skill rather than luck/variability.  H2H is like fantasy football....75% luck-based in any given matchup. In the modern NBA the fluke factor increases even more due to the faux injuries/rest days that arbitrarily determine every H2H matchup. 

Also to say roto is boring is a subjective opinion, not a fact.  The nuance and skill involved in roto is far from boring imo.  I also don't understand the how having a match up and in some cases an entire season determined by injury or random resting players strikes H2H advocates as exciting.  To each his own I suppose. 

It's exciting because even the 8th team has a chance till the end. I don't think you can deny that. In roto after a while there are 3-4 teams that have a chance for 1st and the rest just fight for mediocrity. You also get more cases of abandoned teams or at least not "engaged" GMs because they have nothing to go for. I have seen many cases of GMs not caring about trades or add/drops after a point in roto because they cannot really win.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

When you consistently win h2h leagues, I wouldn't really call that luck and injuries can affect both leagues just the same.   I've been in plenty of roto leagues where teams lost their 1st round picks at the start of the season and were pretty much done for in all cases but the same thing happening in h2h could drop that same team to 8th and they still have a shot to win it.  Like you said, to each his own.. and the main reason people say roto is boring is the reason the guy mentioned above, about teams being knocked out and only a handful  being competitive throughout the season.

Both formats have their pros and cons imho. Depends on what you enjoy.

H2H gives you greater flexibility and it’s more accessible as an introduction to fantasy. Less rate of attrition too.

Roto has a lot more nuance. If you win in a competitive league, you probably deserve it. You need competitors who’ll stay through to the end if you play this though — bottom teams won’t enjoy the ride by the ASB.

I’ve won multiple money league H2H championships every year, but find it harder to navigate roto. #1 in my current league, and #2 twice in a row since I jumped to the roto format in 2017, but it requires much more strategy and intellectual investment 😂

H2H was ‘home turf’ for a decade, but roto has been hugely rewarding with really great fellow managers. I’ve stuck around.

Edited by ovofnd
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Big_Man said:

When you consistently win h2h leagues, I wouldn't really call that luck and injuries can affect both leagues just the same.   I've been in plenty of roto leagues where teams lost their 1st round picks at the start of the season and were pretty much done for in all cases but the same thing happening in h2h could drop that same team to 8th and they still have a shot to win it.  Like you said, to each his own.. and the main reason people say roto is boring is the reason the guy mentioned above, about teams being knocked out and only a handful  being competitive throughout the season.

Same can be said about h2h leagues, where bottom 2-3 teams are knocked out halfway and only top 8 out of 12 teams are competitive 

26 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Same can be said about h2h leagues, where bottom 2-3 teams are knocked out halfway and only top 8 out of 12 teams are competitive 

That's a stretch.. the point is the odds are higher in h2h to have more teams remain competitive.  

Edited by Big_Man

Back to the off topic point, there also are big differences within roto depending on whether you have daily lineup changes or set lineups weekly.  I have PG in a weekly league, and got one game from him this week which is a killer.  Those are missed games I will never get back. I could have started someone like RoLo or Mitch Rob and at least gotten strong stats in fg% and blocks rather than just getting zeroes.  But daily just takes up too much time at this stage in my life.  That's a young man's format :) 

Just got the O tag on ESPN... 

id be shocked if I made it past this round in my playoffs. Tied right now with my opponent queueing up Harden. 1 of 4 games from PG3 vs 4 of 4 from Harden (and -1 each from Love and Bledsoe)... would have crushed this week if it has been normal