NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lonzo Ball 2018-2019 Season Outlook

On 10/30/2018 at 11:18 AM, a-rob said:

Laker fans and Ball owners want Lonzo to get majority of the run at PG. I don't like Rondo, but from the LAL games that I have watched including the one today, the Lakers offense looks more fluid with Rondo running the point. He is not an elite shooter, but he seems to always know where everyone is, passing is top notch

That's straight wrong- Rondo stagnates the Laker offense and makes them lose leads. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep. Was shooting 40% from deep like a week ago, but at 21 you can close the book on him ever being a "good shooter". Troll elsewhere. 

I actually have a different view point on Lavar, from the point that I never had a "Dad", or any kind of positive male role model in my life,  just abusive  a-holes. I couldn't help but wish I had som

Spoken as a true Lakers fan.  What year do you have in mind?

Posted Images

5 hours ago, ChickenPorzinger88 said:

That's straight wrong- Rondo stagnates the Laker offense and makes them lose leads. 

THIS...! They play so much more half-court when Rondo is on the court. Ingram too. Both those guys turn this team into a half-court team. Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma make them an up tempo modern basketball team. I mean Lonzo gets his dimes on an incredibly low usage. That is a perfect fit next to LBJ who is so ball dominant.

Lonzo is a good player.  Last year his shot was real dodgy with the weird release, but he's improved it over the off season (props to him, see M Fultz for how not to do it), and is showing good BBall IQ.  You can tell he plays the game right.  His time will come.  Rondo is just not a team player it feels like.  He's a competitor, but doesn't know how to really make his team better.  Lebron is actually similar to him except he is super talented to be able to make it work.  Lonzo could work himself into a J Kidd lite at the least.  I don't think he will be as good as Kidd though.  That's a very high bar.  

4 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Lonzo is a good player.  Last year his shot was real dodgy with the weird release, but he's improved it over the off season (props to him, see M Fultz for how not to do it), and is showing good BBall IQ.  You can tell he plays the game right.  His time will come.  Rondo is just not a team player it feels like.  He's a competitor, but doesn't know how to really make his team better.  Lebron is actually similar to him except he is super talented to be able to make it work.  Lonzo could work himself into a J Kidd lite at the least.  I don't think he will be as good as Kidd though.  That's a very high bar.  

Yeah that’s a HOF bar. True his IQ is good so he just needs the confidence to know he can still play his game with a ball dominate player next to him. I’m hoping he can return last years #’s but get his points up from 10 to 12 and improved %’s. 

32 minutes ago, kane said:

seems useless when lakers have full squad,too many players need the ball in his hand(LBJ,Rondo,Kuzma,Ingram,Lance)

and rondo outplay him

He was good in the last game, but then useless tonight.  He clearly didn't have his shot tonight, so I guess that's one reason since the minutes were in reverse for him on Rondo in the last one.

They could play Rondo and Ball together plenty at the expense of Ingram, but I guess that won't happen on a regular basis either.  It's one game though, so it's not like I'd freak out and cut Ball all of a sudden.

32 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Unless Rondo gets traded, or injured he will be a bust (speaking fantasy wise). Just not enough opportunity for him to return value anywhere close to his ADP.

it’s not rondo. it’s walton. his job was threatened and Magic expects him to develop the talent and win now. So he’s doing both game to game. Only lakers I trust right now is Javale (lmao I cant beleive I am saying this!?) and Bron

• Like 1

Lonzo looks lost.

it sucks, I’m a fan of his but running out of patience.  I currently have 3 Lakers on my roster.. LeBron, Ball, and McGee.  Planned on dropping McGee when he slowed down, that doesn’t appear to be happening.  Now it’s Ball who is probably the player I drop.

I think in the short term he will be a liability to the team.  Maybe after the ASB he will come into his own.  I have a feeling until then it will be the Rondo show.

4 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

This kid will be out of the league in a few years.

Ever heard of a sophomore slump? His play lately is not necessarily out of the ordinary. He is too talented and competent for a player his age to start saying things like this.

If you hate his father, that's an entirely different story. Don't hate his son just because dad's a total douche.

• Like 1

Lonzo needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

Lonzo is not an offensive threat.

LeBron needs the ball in his hands too.  

LeBron has 4 year contract with Lakers.

Guess which player will not have the ball in his hands.

I wouldn't be surprised if  Lonzo is traded in next 12 months

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Lonzo needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

Lonzo is not an offensive threat.

LeBron needs the ball in his hands too.  

LeBron has 4 year contract with Lakers.

Guess which player will not have the ball in his hands.

Trade him to the Knicks for Frankie Nicotine. The Lakers need D and the Knicks need a floor general. Match made in heaven (at least in my head). 

13 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

This kid will be out of the league in a few years.

No, he won’t.  I’m not even a fan of his and don’t think he’s good.  That said, the NBA is very difficult to get into, but easier to stay in once you’re in.  Players like Mudiay are still in the NBA.  If you’re in and s---y they’ll label you a “project” and go from organization to organization, each one thinking they can fix you.  There are for sure some international players who are better than than the worst NBA players but again once you’re in, you’re in.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

No, he won’t.  I’m not even a fan of his and don’t think he’s good.  That said, the NBA is very difficult to get into, but easier to stay in once you’re in.  Players like Mudiay are still in the NBA.  If you’re in and s---y they’ll label you a “project” and go from organization to organization, each one thinking they can fix you.  There are for sure some international players who are better than than the worst NBA players but again once you’re in, you’re in.  

Terrence Jones

Adam Morrison

Jimmer Fredette 

But overall I agree.

• Like 1

Everyone, look at the diagram below and think about those numbers before you hop back on your Gonzo with Lonzo BS. He has improved in every shooting category by a mile. 

7% in FG%

9% in 3pt%

10% in FT %

Yes, he's playing 7 less minutes a game so his averages are down. But look at who the Lakers frekin added this summer !!! I mean are you kidding me? What do you expect? If you think he is going to have better accumulative stats while playing less minutes, then maybe its you we should be discussing when we are talking about things that suck. I mean c'mon man, there isn't any logic to your expectations.

The numbers speak for themselves. And if you disagree than you are terrible at analyzing numerical data and I would not even want you to count my change out at the gas station. And no, not because I'll probably lose it anyways, but because you suck at counting.

5bdfe04400822_Screenshot2018-11-05at12_14_59AM.png.a909a88668742e285a6ae9e972cb9e9a.png

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ItsOjMang said:

Everyone, look at the diagram below and think about those numbers before you hop back on your Gonzo with Lonzo BS. He has improved in every shooting category by a mile. 

7% in FG%

9% in 3pt%

10% in FT %

Yes, he's playing 7 less minutes a game so his averages are down. But look at who the Lakers frekin added this summer !!! I mean are you kidding me? What do you expect? If you think he is going to have better accumulative stats while playing less minutes, then maybe its you we should be discussing when we are talking about things that suck. I mean c'mon man, there isn't any logic to your expectations.

The numbers speak for themselves. And if you disagree than you are terrible at analyzing numerical data and I would not even want you to count my change out at the gas station. And no, not because I'll probably lose it anyways, but because you suck at counting.

5bdfe04400822_Screenshot2018-11-05at12_14_59AM.png.a909a88668742e285a6ae9e972cb9e9a.png

His MIN down 20%, but his REB, AST, STL, BLK drop 40%+. The biggest problem is I don't see his passion. He looks so indifferent.

Edited by littlesamtung
21 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

I would be surprised, but I could see him being shipped in a package for a star to run with LeBron.  It'd be interesting to see the Laker defense force spin that one, after white knighting for the guy for a year, but I guess we see how that looks with Randle and Russell right now anyway.

I'd prefer Ball get some blocks like we know he can, but otherwise I'm a happy owner, but as I always say it's about team build: I don't care about points in the leagues where I have him.  

9 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Terrence Jones

Adam Morrison

Jimmer Fredette 

But overall I agree.

Morrison has diabetes and tore his ACL. I don’t think people who had career ending injuries should count.  

I don’t know why Jones and Fredette weren’t given more opportunity but Fredette has been brilliant overseas which supports the idea that there are a lot of overseas players who are better than the worst NBA player.

A lot of players born outside the U.S. don’t actually want to move to play in the NBA.  I have a lot of friends who didn’t get drafted, had offers for the G league, but opted to play overseas for more money rather than be stuck in the G league with little real opportunity to ever make it to the NBA.  The NBA is like the moffia, hard to get into, but easier to stay in once you’re in.  We’d like to think the NBA has the best talent in the world, which it does at the upper echelons, but at the fringes the worst players in the NBA are worse than the best international players.  I know this was a tangent, and you agreed with me in general, it’s more in reference to the people who wonder how players who look pretty bad can stay in for so long.  

• Like 2

So... what's everyone doing with this guy? Hold?

It really looks like Rondo will be killing his value this season. Today's line was kind of serviceable nonetheless with 3 steals, but he only played 21 minutes and was benched for the last 17 minutes of the game.