Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wander Franco, SS, TB


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's playing in the Florida State League.   (Qualified) League leaders in BA: 1. Larnach .316 2. Stevenson .298 3. Sugilio .288 Franco .333   (Qualified) League

"Franco grew up in the same neighborhood as two-time Cleveland Indians All-Star, Jose Ramirez. The MVP candidate raves about Franco’s ability to play the game and claims the Rays budding superstar pro

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Strike Three said:

He’s going to end up being the player we all thought Vlad would be.  

I would think of all places the minor league forum wouldn't write off Vlad half way through his age 20 rookie season. I own both Vlad and Wander and I think both will be superstars. Would not trade Vlad for Wander.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

OPS down to .892 which seemed impossible to get below .900 at any point at High- A given his absurdly hot start. Seems like pitchers have adjusted. Like I said, pump the breaks on the promotion talk because he is probably OPSing in the low .700’s since the futures game. Also been striking out more than usual lately. He’s still amazing but he hasn’t been his usual dominant self for a month now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 12:59 PM, killa3312 said:

OPS down to .892 which seemed impossible to get below .900 at any point at High- A given his absurdly hot start. Seems like pitchers have adjusted. Like I said, pump the breaks on the promotion talk because he is probably OPSing in the low .700’s since the futures game. Also been striking out more than usual lately. He’s still amazing but he hasn’t been his usual dominant self for a month now.

People have slumps in baseball even in High A. He'll break out of it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

People have slumps in baseball even in High A. He'll break out of it

 

He's playing in the Florida State League.

 

(Qualified) League leaders in BA:

1. Larnach .316

2. Stevenson .298

3. Sugilio .288

Franco .333

 

(Qualified) League leaders in OPS:

1. Larnach .842

2. Alonso .787

3. Stevenson .780

Franco .881

 

 

That league is so ungodly pitcher dominated.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 12:59 PM, killa3312 said:

OPS down to .892 which seemed impossible to get below .900 at any point at High- A given his absurdly hot start. Seems like pitchers have adjusted. Like I said, pump the breaks on the promotion talk because he is probably OPSing in the low .700’s since the futures game. Also been striking out more than usual lately. He’s still amazing but he hasn’t been his usual dominant self for a month now.

You got owned!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Wander is a beast as those numbers show, I guess he has fueled expectations so much that even a mini slump is unusual for him. I can’t wait until he gets to AAA with the inflated ball, as he is still hitting for power but not a ton of HRs since the Midwest leave and FSL are major pitcher leagues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 3 players with 100+ plate appearances this year in the FSL have a higher wRC+ than Wander. 

1. Robbie Glendinning (23 y/o) - 193 wRC+, he's spent the last 58 games in AA

2. Mason Martin (20 y/o) - 167 wRC+

3. Alec Bohm (22 y/o) - 165 wRC+, he's spent the last 44 games in AA

4. Wander Franco - 164 wRC+

Wander is ridiculously good. Simple as that. 

Edited by staj18
misspelt name
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Power is fading down the stretch, .376 SLG this month...last home run was July16th.  

 

No major cause for alarm for an 18 year old with so many other advanced metrics of course.

 

But it still puts a damper on the fun of talking about or owning someone you can characterize as an emerging titan of the sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, phily915 said:

What makes FSL awful for hitters? ...This is a serious question btw. Ballpark dimensions? Weather?

 

Atmospheric conditions. Heavy, humid, wet air. The same thing applies in spring training, whereas Cactus League is a hitter's circuit and the Grapefruit League is a pitcher's circuit.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BaseballJunkie said:

 

Atmospheric conditions. Heavy, humid, wet air. The same thing applies in spring training, whereas Cactus League is a hitter's circuit and the Grapefruit League is a pitcher's circuit.

The complete opposite is true. Humid and wet air is good for baseball flight. The more humid, the further the ball travels. That's why they always say,once the weather warms up, the ball flies out. Humid wet air in the summer is actually less dense than the dry cooler air you see in fall/winter. It may not "feel" like it, but it's basic science.

 

https://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/ask_us_sports_august.html 

 

"Does a baseball travel farther when hit in humid weather conditions? If so, what scientific principles are at work?

You might think that a baseball (or another type of ball) would not travel as far on humid day due to the moisture in the air--but just the opposite true. The air may feel "heavier" on a muggy day ,but it is not any denser; in fact, it's slightly lighter! (The sticky uncomfortable feeling most of us experience on this type of day is due to condensation hindering the evaporation of perspiration.)"

 

 

 

Edited by King_of_Kings
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, King_of_Kings said:

The complete opposite is true. Humid and wet air is good for baseball flight. The more humid, the further the ball travels. That's why they always say,once the weather warms up, the ball flies out. Humid wet air in the summer is actually less dense than the dry cooler air you see in fall/winter. It may not "feel" like it, but it's basic science.

 

https://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/ask_us_sports_august.html 

 

"Does a baseball travel farther when hit in humid weather conditions? If so, what scientific principles are at work?

You might think that a baseball (or another type of ball) would not travel as far on humid day due to the moisture in the air--but just the opposite true. The air may feel "heavier" on a muggy day ,but it is not any denser; in fact, it's slightly lighter! (The sticky uncomfortable feeling most of us experience on this type of day is due to condensation hindering the evaporation of perspiration.)"

 

 

 

but this only tells half of the story.

i don't disagree with the physics of a ball traveling just as well (or better) in humid air, but it's pretty standard knowledge that a ball stored in dryer type conditions (i.e., lower humidity) is more "bouncy," for lack of the exact scientific wording. it's the reason both arizona and colorado installed humidors, to moisten the balls.

so while a baseball may travel just as well in humid air, a ball stored/kept in high humidity is going to travel less distance when struck than a ball stored in low humidity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to the hurricane Charlotte’s season is over, and thus, Wander’s as well. Went 3-4 last night to get his average up to .339 and OPS to .872, which probably both would led the league or been close to leading the league while also having a 26/15 BB/K ratio. Definitely should start the season in AA bare minimum next season.

Edited by killa3312
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Due to the hurricane Charlotte’s season is over, and thus, Wander’s as well. Went 3-4 last night to get his average up to .339 and OPS to .872, which probably both would led the league or been close to leading the league while also having a 26/15 BB/K ratio. Definitely should start the season in AA bare minimum next season.

Not a bad finish to the season... kid is incredible.  Will be interesting to see if he goes to AA Montgomery now to help their playoff run.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...