NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wander Franco, SS, TB

20 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I feel like the true OBP gods are guys like Soto, trout, etc with 15,16,17,18% BB rate.  I feel like wander will hit lower walks and lower strikeouts 

fair enough, I just looked and a Trout and Soto did have higher BB% at the same levels.

Its not a completely fair comparison because we haven’t seen Wander’s BB% in AA yet and his MILB career is still being written

I will say that OBP is more than just BBs. He could match their OBP just simply by hitting for more average

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's playing in the Florida State League.   (Qualified) League leaders in BA: 1. Larnach .316 2. Stevenson .298 3. Sugilio .288 Franco .333   (Qualified) League

Rays Fans reading this thread  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

His most likely landing spot is probably 3B,  maybe a 3B/backup SS role like Bregman or Machado.

Adames is pretty much set at SS because of his glove. At 2B they have B. Lowe on a team-friendly 6-year deal, plus Brujan who is getting close to MLB. At 3B is Yandy, who is 28 and not particularly great defensively.

I’m hoping for 2B as well but not optimistic about it.

fair enough but why should any of those guys dictate what position the best prospect in a long time would play?

• Thanks 1
On 2/12/2020 at 11:20 AM, Fbaseballgod said:

Hot take; I think Franco is more likely to be the next Lindor than the next Trout. People always compare him to trout but I feel like (from what we’ve seen) he isn’t in the form of OBP gods like Trout and Soto, more like a 300 hitter with (developing power) like Lindor 

Lindor's batting average over the past three seasons are .284, .277, and .273.

Wander projects to live above .300 with his average with the upside of multiple batting titles. I forget what podcast I was listening to a couple weeks ago but they were saying that Franco has a better chance than anyone in baseball to hit .400 in a season. Obviously that is incredibly unrealistic but the point to be taken is that his bat-to-ball skills are on the Ichiro/Pujols level of elite.

I'm not sure there's a single player under 25 years old that would be favored head to head over Franco for batting average over the next 10 years.

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Projecting a prospect to win multiple batting titles seems dumb . Can just say he has a really good hit tool without a dumb projection .

Did you read my post or just his response? I didn't project him to win batting titles. I said that is his upside and when talking about prospects I don't think talking about their upside is dumb.

"Wander projects to live above .300 with his average with the upside of multiple batting titles."

His response turned that reasonable line into a strawman.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Gonna get our first look at Wander this spring tomorrow(well technically he's gonna come off the bench in today's game, but it's not televised). Strasburg is set to pitch tomorrow, so Wander is gonna likely get a couple AB's against one of the better pitchers in MLB

Ended up 1-4 with a sharp line drive single and scoring a run his last AB. All in all, I was impressed. Strasburg is absolutely nasty, so not worried or surprised about the strikeout in that AB. And it took him 6 pitches to punch Wander out, and he laid off some nasty pitches in the sequence before that. Second AB went 7 pitches as well. Basically he showed that even at this level he has the ability to recognize pitches and be selective and not chase. No doubt in my mind the kid is going to be a stud.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

Let's say the Yankees are a mess this year and it's a race between the Yankees and Rays for the division....do they call Franco up this year?

if he’s crushing it and the Rays have a hole in their lineup he could fill, sure.  He hasn’t  played above A ball yet and the Rays are deep team, so it’s not a forgone conclusion but possible . 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Any chance the MLB could take a drastic step in the favor of young players on this radically shortened season if it gets played? I don't quite know what that looks like, but maybe its not all doom and gloom just yet for Wander and other top young players.

On 3/18/2020 at 6:56 PM, Dark Kn19ht said:

Any chance the MLB could take a drastic step in the favor of young players on this radically shortened season if it gets played? I don't quite know what that looks like, but maybe its not all doom and gloom just yet for Wander and other top young players.

It really should ... There's no reason the youth takes the hit with this over the owners.  As I said earlier in the milb forum there are so many showcases and publications now that teams drafting without a season to go off of is still better than what they were doing 10-15 years ago. 

On 3/18/2020 at 4:56 PM, Dark Kn19ht said:

Whats the theory as to why they would? Wander Franco hasn't played in AA and the Rays have capable guys everywhere. 

On 3/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, UberRebel said:

So at this point it’s almost absolute certainty that we won’t see Wander up in 2020 now, right?

I would pretty much count out the regular season.... But if The Rays made the playoffs don't you think they'd pull out all the stops?  Plus wouldn't they want their prize prospect to continue to develop by getting extra ABs against the best competition on the biggest stage he's been on?

On 3/20/2020 at 9:19 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Whats the theory as to why they would? Wander Franco hasn't played in AA and the Rays have capable guys everywhere. 

Maybe my comment isn't in the right spot since it doesn't pertain to Wander alone. I'm talking about the MLB as a whole working out something to allow for the younger players not getting ditched in the shortened season. Maybe MLB expands rosters to get a few more games in during the shortened schedule. And maybe they offer service time exemptions so the clubs are more inclined to bring up young players instead of keeping them down. Good for the players to make better money and good for the owners so they aren't worried about these contracts?

Like I said, I don't know how this plays out or what it looks like to work in the favor of all. To me it's in the best interests of the MLB to get the best product and hype involved in this shortened season. It's the best opportunity to grow the MLB market after all this time off from sports. Getting all the top players and rookies playing would surely make it more interesting for some and should be in the best interest of players and owners.

My point could all be wishful thinking as well. lol

21 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Maybe my comment isn't in the right spot since it doesn't pertain to Wander alone. I'm talking about the MLB as a whole working out something to allow for the younger players not getting ditched in the shortened season. Maybe MLB expands rosters to get a few more games in during the shortened schedule. And maybe they offer service time exemptions so the clubs are more inclined to bring up young players instead of keeping them down. Good for the players to make better money and good for the owners so they aren't worried about these contracts?

Those things might help a few MLB-ready players like Dylan Carlson or Jo Adell avoid service time games, but most top prospects just need reps at the minor league level to keep developing. The best thing baseball can do for these guys is keep the MiLB schedule as long as possible.

• 3 weeks later...