Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wander Franco, SS, TB


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

 

If we're talking about all of those players prospect pedigree, Wander comes out in front by a good margin. He is being dubbed as the greatest prospect ever. 

Obviously those guys have far exceeded their prospect billing (especially Soto) and who knows how Franco will. I am just talking about how they players were viewed prior to playing an MLB game.

I’m a huge Franco guy, as big as you’ll see, but best prospect ever? No, but definitely in the upper tier as far as prospects go and probably the best SS prospect since A-Rod if we are talking purely as prospects. I’ve likened him many times to a switch hitting Tony Gwynn with 25 to 30 HR ability that plays shortstop. If he ends up even 75% of that he will be incredible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's playing in the Florida State League.   (Qualified) League leaders in BA: 1. Larnach .316 2. Stevenson .298 3. Sugilio .288 Franco .333   (Qualified) League

"Franco grew up in the same neighborhood as two-time Cleveland Indians All-Star, Jose Ramirez. The MVP candidate raves about Franco’s ability to play the game and claims the Rays budding superstar pro

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

 

If we're talking about all of those players prospect pedigree, Wander comes out in front by a good margin. He is being dubbed as the greatest prospect ever. 

Obviously those guys have far exceeded their prospect billing (especially Soto) and who knows how Franco will. I am just talking about how they players were viewed prior to playing an MLB game.

Acuna and Trout were basically #1 prospects too. It's not too different in that sense.  Soto would have been a #1 prospect too, he just got too good too fast and forced a call up (rightfully so)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Acuna and Trout were basically #1 prospects too. It's not too different in that sense.  Soto would have been a #1 prospect too, he just got too good too fast and forced a call up (rightfully so)

It’s a shame we didn’t have a MiLB season last season or a full 162 game season because I’m confident Wander would have broke through as a teen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

It’s a shame we didn’t have a MiLB season last season or a full 162 game season because I’m confident Wander would have broke through as a teen.

It does give me some pause that while the Rays were competing for a championship with a not so great hitting lineup that they didn’t fall up Wander Franco. Either he’s not that shoulders and above the guys they currently have  or the Rays played service time games that may have costed them the championship. I lean the former . I don’t think Wander is going to be a monster as quickly as Soto or Acuna were, which I think might be a bummer for a lot of people with unrealistic expectations so quick.

Edited by brockpapersizer
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

It does give me some pause that while the Rays were competing for a championship with a not so great hitting lineup that they didn’t fall up Wander Franco. Either he’s not that shoulders and above the guys they currently have  or the Rays played service time games that may have costed them the championship. I lean the former . I don’t think Wander is going to be a monster as quickly as Soto or Acuna were, which I think might be a bummer for a lot of people with unrealistic expectations so quick.

I think it’s just the Rays being the Rays and based on their off-season probably want to keep Wander as long as they can to keep another window open. Reports I’ve read said he did exceedingly well in the alternate site last season and he looked good in the very small amount he played in the winter league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, killa3312 said:

I’m a huge Franco guy, as big as you’ll see, but best prospect ever? No, but definitely in the upper tier as far as prospects go and probably the best SS prospect since A-Rod if we are talking purely as prospects. I’ve likened him many times to a switch hitting Tony Gwynn with 25 to 30 HR ability that plays shortstop. If he ends up even 75% of that he will be incredible.

You're really splitting hairs. Frangraph's literally leads their 2021 top 100 prospects with:

"Franco is as good as a prospect can get, checking every box on a performance, scouting, and analytical level."

 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-top-100-prospects/

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

He's decent

 

In case there was any doubt about his power potential. He has crazy batting practice power, just needs to level out his swing some and the sky is the limit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, killa3312 said:

In case there was any doubt about his power potential. He has crazy batting practice power, just needs to level out his swing some and the sky is the limit.


His game power will exceed his raw power because he has such great bat control and a fantastic eye and approach

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UberRebel said:


His game power will exceed his raw power because he has such great bat control and a fantastic eye and approach

Is it possible for game power to exceed raw power? I would assume inherently no. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Is it possible for game power to exceed raw power? I would assume inherently no. 


you’re right. I probably don’t know what I’m talking about.

I understood that phrase to mean someone who hits more HR than you would expect, even though they don’t seem like they would based on their stature or measurement of raw strength 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, UberRebel said:


you’re right. I probably don’t know what I’m talking about.

I understood that phrase to mean someone who hits more HR than you would expect, even though they don’t seem like they would based on their stature or measurement of raw strength 

I was about to go into a rant about why I'm right and before I hit send I decided to check whatever his grades were on and fangraphs.

They have him at 55 fv raw power but 60! Fv game power. So i guess I'm the dumb dumb here, but this might be the first time I've ever seen that.

If anyone more familiar with scouting wants to chime in on why this is such a rare occurrence.

 

 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I was about to go into a rant about why I'm right and before I hit send I decided to check whatever his grades were on and fangraphs.

They have him at 55 fv raw power but 60! Fv game power. So i guess I'm the dumb dumb here, but this might be the first time I've ever seen that.

If anyone more familiar with scouting wants to chime in on why this is such a rare occurrence.

 

 

I think it means that because his hit tool is so exceptional, he's going to hit a decent amount of home runs by virtue of the high number of balls he puts in play. In other words, his home run totals should exceed what you might expect if you were simply going off of his batting practice power displays.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I was about to go into a rant about why I'm right and before I hit send I decided to check whatever his grades were on and fangraphs.

They have him at 55 fv raw power but 60! Fv game power. So i guess I'm the dumb dumb here, but this might be the first time I've ever seen that.

If anyone more familiar with scouting wants to chime in on why this is such a rare occurrence.

I've never seen that either. It makes sense - there are players like Didi Gregorius that don't hit the ball especially hard but maximize launch angle to produce more HRs than you'd expect. But it's news to me too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2021 at 6:24 PM, UberRebel said:


His game power will exceed his raw power because he has such great bat control and a fantastic eye and approach

Like, how does this work?

Isn't "raw power" your baseline physical ability?  Will something about the way he plays the actual games allow him to channel some external force to exceed his biological limits? 

I mean, if so, the sky's the ####ing limit. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

At what point does everyone feel he will be called up?

 

It's  hard to imagine that they Rays don't play the Super Two game with him, meaning we'll see him mid June at the earliest (I believe the exact date still varies every year). 

It makes sense from an economic perspective.  I haven't taken a look at arbitration results lately, but is 3-4 months of Franco's rookie season worth 15-25 million bucks?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling that the primo time to sell has come and gone. Obviously still holds a ton of dynasty value, but the prospect fatigue has to be setting in. I highly doubt he flops, but also don't see him living up to the hype. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can they have him on the OD roster and then send him down and still control his service time?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...