NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wander Franco, SS, TB

On 5/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, alowe1275 said:

Agreed, but for what it’s worth the guys on Rates and Barrels said they thought he’d be up within two weeks last week, based on his performance and track record thus far, which would put him up maybe mid way this month. 🤷‍♂️  

If only performance and track record factored into the decision. 

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I absolutely cannot wait until the day comes when this question never needs to be asked again.

I think he meant when the rules change and there is no Super 2 anymore.   

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Sounds like an article written by a mouthpiece of the Rays organization. I’d be willing to bet he’s never penned a critical article of the Rays. I don’t have any Franco shares so I have no dog in this race, I’m just a baseball fan tired of these organizations trying to save themselves money in the guise of player development. I’m fairly confident Franco would be the best position player in Tampa right now and I’m also fairly confident he’ll still continue to develop as a superstar player against major league pitching.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Sounds like an article written by a mouthpiece of the Rays organization. I’d be willing to bet he’s never penned a critical article of the Rays. I don’t have any Franco shares so I have no dog in this race, I’m just a baseball fan tired of these organizations trying to save themselves money in the guise of player development. I’m fairly confident Franco would be the best position player in Tampa right now and I’m also fairly confident he’ll still continue to develop as a superstar player against major league pitching.

If Franco comes up and is really good right away , it’s going to make people question not using him last year when they could have won the World Series .

• Like 5

May was never a realistic for a wander franco debut. He will be up around july and early august is my guess.

First for the financial reasons and second Ray's love position flexibility thus giving him more time to play different positions and getting accustomed to defense in those positions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Why am I not surprised..

14 minutes ago, Miketrout009 said:

May was never a realistic for a wander franco debut. He will be up around july and early august is my guess.

First for the financial reasons and second Ray's love position flexibility thus giving him more time to play different positions and getting accustomed to defense in those positions.

Why would July/August be a realistic timeframe? Waiting for Super 2 makes a frustrating amount of sense for the organization, but that should be somewhere in June. I don't see what waiting beyond that buys them, unless they're planning on keeping him down next year as well.

• Like 1

Rays are content with only lucking into the playoffs.

so long as they can still get that sweet sweet revenue share, they couldn’t care less about what the players on the field are doing. 

sad

15 hours ago, meh2 said:

Agreed. Plus it just seems like bad info. Elite players make their own timetables. I look at guys like Harper or Acuña or Soto. In a normal 2020, I think Franco would have debuted at some point during the season. But it wasn't a normal 2020. So I get playing the financial game. And I get getting Franco at least some at bats above A ball. But once you feel safe from Super 2, there's literally no benefit to keeping him down a few more months. So once you feel "safe" from Super 2, why not bring him up? Tampa's going to want every win it can get.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jericho said:

Agreed. Plus it just seems like bad info. Elite players make their own timetables. I look at guys like Harper or Acuña or Soto. In a normal 2020, I think Franco would have debuted at some point during the season. But it wasn't a normal 2020. So I get playing the financial game. And I get getting Franco at least some at bats above A ball. But once you feel safe from Super 2, there's literally no benefit to keeping him down a few more months. So once you feel "safe" from Super 2, why not bring him up? Tampa's going to want every win it can get.

And relevancy in Tampa. Where are they in the pecking order? Are they third behind the Buccaneers and Lightning?

1 hour ago, RogerKlotz said:

1 K in his last 6 games.

He goes on crazy streaks where he simply doesn’t strike out and sometimes doesn’t even swing and miss, at least at the lower minors he did. That’s why I scoff at people thinking Rodriguez or Kelenic could be better. I mean, they could, they’re amazing talents in their own right, but Franco’s bat to ball skills are otherworldly. And he obviously has legit power with some of the bombs he’s hit so far this year. The only question is his power, but he’ll grow into that.

• Like 1

I was really worried about his power and GB% going into this season not having ever watched him. But he generates so much bat speed and has such good hand eye coordination I’m less worried now. I think he’ll be kind of like JoRam in how he packs so much punch in a small frame. 

2 minutes ago, kwelch said:

If he keeps this up he may be up sooner than later.

Whether at 3B or SS he should be up with the team, the kid is a damn prodigy with the bat and Willy Adames is terrible and shouldn’t be blocking him at that position either way. 4 for 5 tonight after he hit a grand slam and nearly two other HRs last night. He is making a mockery of AAA so far.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, killa3312 said:

Whether at 3B or SS he should be up with the team, the kid is a damn prodigy with the bat and Willy Adames is terrible and shouldn’t be blocking him at that position either way. 4 for 5 tonight after he hit a grand slam and nearly two other HRs last night. He is making a mockery of AAA so far.

Willy is awesome away from home 

On 5/16/2021 at 8:45 AM, killa3312 said:

He goes on crazy streaks where he simply doesn’t strike out and sometimes doesn’t even swing and miss, at least at the lower minors he did. That’s why I scoff at people thinking Rodriguez or Kelenic could be better. I mean, they could, they’re amazing talents in their own right, but Franco’s bat to ball skills are otherworldly. And he obviously has legit power with some of the bombs he’s hit so far this year. The only question is his power, but he’ll grow into that.

Watching his first HR in ST and then the oppo field GS how could you not believe the 30 HR potential is there? His frame is smaller but if JoRam and Bregman can hit 35+ HR so can Wander.

Really liking his FB% so far in AAA. He’s already so polished but does a great job of continuing to get better