NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Wander Franco, SS, TB

Letitbe793

Do games played at positions in the minors apply the same way as in the majors?

So if Wander plays “x” amount of games at SS, 3B, 2B, ect, he will have that position eligibility when he’s called up?

Sounds to me the Rays want him comfortable at various positions to keep his bat in the lineup.

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Willy isnt moving off of SS Wander will play 3B 2B and less likely but a lil OF as well

Hes up sometime in June, but with the Rays id go July tbh hah

Sorry but nah. I don't speak in absolutes very often around here, but in no way is Adames gonna stand in the way of a talent like Wander. I do think it makes sense, given their roster, to allow Wander to play some other spots and increase his versatility, but IF he can handle the SS position (and nothing I have seen indicates he can not) then that will quite likely be his primary spot.

Just now, ST. STEVEN said:

Sorry but nah. I don't speak in absolutes very often around here, but in no way is Adames gonna stand in the way of a talent like Wander. I do think it makes sense, given their roster, to allow Wander to play some other spots and increase his versatility, but IF he can handle the SS position (and nothing I have seen indicates he can not) then that will quite likely be his primary spot.

If its one or the other you are absolutely right, but if Willy is better defensively, and both will play everyday, I think it would make sense for the Rays to keep Willy at SS, i don't see why they'd move Willy to 2B or 3B just to make sure Wander plays SS

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's not so much about standing in the way of Wander, but seeing where the rays need more hlep. Joey Wendle is having a very good start to the season but he's 31. Rays won't just punt Adames into a bench player and making him a worthless asset. Adames is having a rough start hitting wise. I'd like to see Adames get traded personally. Wander playing multiples games at 3b suggest they want him there sometimes or are strongly considering it.  Maybe he'll playing SS vs righties and 3b vs lefties to supplant both guys.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's not so much about standing in the way of Wander, but seeing where the rays need more hlep. Joey Wendle is having a very good start to the season but he's 31. Rays won't just punt Adames into a bench player and making him a worthless asset. Adames is having a rough start hitting wise. I'd like to see Adames get traded personally. Wander playing multiples games at 3b suggest they want him there sometimes or are strongly considering it.  Maybe he'll playing SS vs righties and 3b vs lefties to supplant both guys.

Boom GIF - Find on GIFER

24 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

I know he's going to be a good player but is he as great as all make him out to be? Is he a solid player with a few all star appearances over his career or a superstar? 

I mean who knows? He has superstar potential.  If he's a perennial top 50-100 player, that's probably still a really good outcome for your dynasty team unless you gave up a superstar to get him. I think in the Vlad thread I was comparing Vlad's career WRC+ to Conforto and Springer, and someone acted disapointed at that.  I fully understand he's perfomring better than that right now and we hope he's better than those two guys (and I think he has a great shot to be), but if you have a Springer or Conforto on your dynasty team since their call up and forever, I don't think you're upset. This year might not be the best example because of injuries, but they are set it and forget it guys in my leagues, and you want as many set it and forget guys as you can and bonus if they're special.

This analysis pertains to Brujan, Kelenic, J-Rod and whoever else. 

The best comp for Wander has generally been Jose Ramirez, I know some people want Acuna/Soto value or bust and maybe he gets there, but a Jose Ramirez outcome would be tremendous.

• Like 3

I dont' see Wander being a Jose Ramirez guy. If you look at Wander's steals in Miib his caught stealing is really alarming. 

23 SB and 18 Caught Stealing. That's not even that good! 

I see Franco ceiling as Todd Helton with 5-10 SB each year. 

• Like 1

I see pre-scandal Alex Bregman as a good comp. Like the 2018/19 numbers - more walks than strikeouts, .400 OBP, 30+ HR, 5-10 SB, 100+ in both R and RBI. Also he’s a decent SS who may move over to become a plus defender at 3B.

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I mean who knows? He has superstar potential.  If he's a perennial top 50-100 player, that's probably still a really good outcome for your dynasty team unless you gave up a superstar to get him. I think in the Vlad thread I was comparing Vlad's career WRC+ to Conforto and Springer, and someone acted disapointed (disrespectful to  vlad)at that.  I fully understand he's perfomring better than that right now and we hope he's better than those two guys (and I think he has a great shot to be), but if you have a Springer or Conforto on your dynasty team since their call up and forever, I don't think you're upset. This year might not be the best example because of injuries, but they are set it and forget it guys in my leagues, and you want as many set it and forget guys as you can and bonus if they're special.

This analysis pertains to Brujan, Kelenic, J-Rod and whoever else. 

The best comp for Wander has generally been Jose Ramirez, I know some people want Acuna/Soto value or bust and maybe he gets there, but a Jose Ramirez outcome would be tremendous.

fixed

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

What's Jose Ramirez, a .275-.285 hitter?  And he plays third base?  And he's stolen 20+ bases multiple times (I think he's broken 30 a few times, also).  

I don't see that for Wander.  

I'm thinking prime Chase Utley.  .295-.315 average, lays out 25ish-32ish dongs a year, SBs hovering in the 10-15 range (maybe flirting with 20 on occasion) with great counting stats and a near .400 OBP.

Edited by Overlord

Yeah, it won’t be Wander, don’t get excited. He has had a terrible road trip so far and striking out way more than he usually does. It will be Taylor Walls, Wander needs more seasoning.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:06 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Sorry but nah. I don't speak in absolutes very often around here, but in no way is Adames gonna stand in the way of a talent like Wanderlls I do think it makes sense, given their roster, to allow Wander to play some other spots and increase his versatility, but IF he can handle the SS position (and nothing I have seen indicates he can not) then that will quite likely be his primary spot.

Half right!

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Still slumping but at least he walked twice tonight. Hopefully a big hit streak is on the way. Pretty un-Wander like few games for him.

This is kind of expected. He is 20 years old and this is his first time above A ball. I can see a scenario where this kid won't be up till late July or August if he continues to struggle. 

On 5/21/2021 at 3:15 PM, Overlord said:

I'm thinking prime Chase Utley.  .295-.315 average, lays out 25ish-32ish dongs a year, SBs hovering in the 10-15 range (maybe flirting with 20 on occasion) with great counting stats and a near .400 OBP.

I like with the Utley comp. Utley was 24 when he debuted, however. So there is a solid chance we get more than Utley out of Mr. Wanderful upon development.