NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wander Franco, SS, TB

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I absolutely cannot wait until the day comes when this question never needs to be asked again.

I think he meant when the rules change and there is no Super 2 anymore.   

Posted Images

Couple of things really good to see. In AAA despite being an average of 6.8 years younger than his competition, his K rate is only 10.2 percent and he's raised his FB rate from mid 30s from 2019 to 42 so far this year. The power is really starting to explode while keeping his K rate pretty low.

• Like 2

So today marks a relatively meaningful day. According to calculations by Jeff Zimmerman, based on the previous super 2 dates since 2009 today would be the “latest” date for a call-up and a team to get the extra year. If we’re playing the prediction game I’d say some time in the next week or two. If I had to say a specific day I’d say this Friday at home vs BAL or 6/22.vsBOS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

So today marks a relatively meaningful day. According to calculations by Jeff Zimmerman, based on the previous super 2 dates since 2009 today would be the “latest” date for a call-up and a team to get the extra year. If we’re playing the prediction game I’d say some time in the next week or two. If I had to say a specific day I’d say this Friday at home vs BAL or 6/22.vsBOS.

Hope you’re right, He still has to be added to the 40 man. 

• Like 1

Unless a trade, injury, or a losing streak creates a more imminent need I see him getting called up closer to the ASB.  The Rays have the best record in the AL, and Brujan’s positional versatility makes him a more likely candidate to get the next call IMO.  

The Rays would be crazy not to want Franco’s bat in their lineup for the playoffs, and they’ll want him to get acclimated to the majors beforehand, so that’s why I see next month as a more likely call up time assuming everything else remains status quo.

3 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Unless a trade, injury, or a losing streak creates a more imminent need I see him getting called up closer to the ASB.  The Rays have the best record in the AL, and Brujan’s positional versatility makes him a more likely candidate to get the next call IMO.  

The Rays would be crazy not to want Franco’s bat in their lineup for the playoffs, and they’ll want him to get acclimated to the majors beforehand, so that’s why I see next month as a more likely call up time assuming everything else remains status quo.

If they want him to get up to speed with life in the majors for a the playoff run, wouldn’t calling him up sooner be more beneficial?

Edited by Call me Red
1 hour ago, Call me Red said:

If they want him to get up to speed with life in the majors for a the playoff run, wouldn’t calling him up sooner be more beneficial?

I guess I am no expert but October still seems far away enough not to create a sense of urgency.  This is all just wild speculation by me anyway

• Like 1

Of note is another HR from the right side. He l my had one or two career HRs from that side of the plate entering the season and already has two or three so far this season.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, Weekday Warrior said:

I would be shocked and disappointed if he wasn’t up by the ASB. With the way he is handling AAA pitching, and guys like Walls and Brosseau in front of him...it doesn’t make sense for a team with WS aspirations to leave that kind of talent down. 

9 hours ago, Redsfan34 said:

I would be shocked and disappointed if he wasn’t up by the ASB. With the way he is handling AAA pitching, and guys like Walls and Brosseau in front of him...it doesn’t make sense for a team with WS aspirations to leave that kind of talent down. 

All true. It’s the Rays and they are winning. I want him up too but why disrupt a winning combination?

2 hours ago, coleporter said:

All true. It’s the Rays and they are winning. I want him up too but why disrupt a winning combination?

I think it's less about not wanting to disrupt a winning combination and more about using winning as an excuse to take advantage of financial incentives to keep both Franco and Brujan down for now. I wish those incentives weren't in place, but because they are it makes even more sense for a historically cash-strapped franchise to take advantage of them than larger market teams.

• Like 1

3 for 4 with a double and a triple tonight and has three of Durham’s four hits overall. Also struck out looking which seems to be how all his strikeouts happen. Only slightly disappointing thing  about his season is the 11/18 BB/K ratio after he was always way more walks than strikeouts in the low minors, but it’s still a respectable ratio and nothing to be concerned about. Batting .321 now with a .970 OPS.

• Like 1

Youngest player in AAA and dominating the league. I don’t know how more abundantly clear it needs to be shown that he needs to be in the majors. Dude is a once every generation talent with the bat, there is no excuses anymore at this point.

• Like 1

Both triples came right handed last night, too. He is hitting .333 vs lefties and .323 vs righties and also slugging over .600 against both so he is a legitimate switch hitting threat not just someone who does it but isn’t good at at.

Edited by killa3312
  • Like 3