NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wander Franco, SS, TB

2 minutes ago, Yanks#1 said:

After the Acuna and Jimenez contracts setting new precedents, I think there’s higher than 30%. The Rays have a solid team and will be hard pushed to put out their best lineup sooner rather than later. 

We can debate the number I made up, 20, 60, whatever. I think it's unlikely for next year, but I'd bet on it if I got good odds basically. Kinda comes down to how good the Rays are.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's playing in the Florida State League.   (Qualified) League leaders in BA: 1. Larnach .316 2. Stevenson .298 3. Sugilio .288 Franco .333   (Qualified) League

"Franco grew up in the same neighborhood as two-time Cleveland Indians All-Star, Jose Ramirez. The MVP candidate raves about Franco’s ability to play the game and claims the Rays budding superstar pro

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

We can debate the number I made up, 20, 60, whatever. I think it's unlikely for next year, but I'd bet on it if I got good odds basically. Kinda comes down to how good the Rays are.

I was only saying I think it’s more likely than unlikely. I’m not throwing numbers around.

1 hour ago, hypeiz4real said:

If you had Wander. What would a 1:1 take to get him today? 

I do have Wander, so I’ve thought a lot about this.

I counted only 19 guys that I would for sure do a 1:1 for, the oldest being Arenado who just turned 28.

There’s a handful of older studs where it would depend on if you’re in a win-now mode. Altuve and Freeman are close to being in the no-brainer group, but maybe you turn them down if you’re in a full rebuild.

There’s some format-dependent guys too... I take Baez or Mondesi for him in a standard 5x5, but in an OBP league like I play that’s a tougher call.

Albies, Robles, Moncada, Hoskins are players I think are of similar value.

With Vlad coming up today, there are no other minor leaguers in the discussion.

• Like 1

Call me crazy, but if the Ray's are still in it come September and if Wander can get to AA, then I wouldn't be surprised if he got the call this season. The Ray's window of winning opportunity is historically a short one and they'd be crazy to leave there best player in the minors when they could use his skills/stats in real baseball.  Long shot I know, but not out of the question.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hypeiz4real said:

If you had Wander. What would a 1:1 take to get him today? 

Really dependent on league and team competitiveness. 

I wouldn't hesitate to use him in a put you over the top type deal if you are in it this year.  Id have to feel really good about the move making me an odds on favorite, but I'd deal him under that circumstance. 

If I don't get a return that makes my team the favorite to win it this year, or I'm not currently competitive, he's probably not getting moved straight up for anyone I can realistically get at this point. I'm waiting and letting his value increase until my leagues trade deadline approaches. 

1 hour ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

This kid is basically going to be Juan Soto at Shortstop. By far the #1 keeper of the guys still currently in the minors, even if he's at least a year away.

Sounds pretty reasonable.  As for his time frame, I don't see how they don't call him up at some point next season unless he somehow falls flat on his face in AAA, which is extremely unlikely.

I'm considering picking him up and leaving myself the option of keeping him even though I really don't have any room left in any of my 9 keeper spots right now.  I'm always in contention, so it's not like I would be tanking this season and stashing a bunch of prospects, but damn is he ridiculous right now.

Great stat I just discovered while looking at Wander's game logs. It took a 13-inning 7-at-bat game, but on April 18 Wander had the first 2-strikeout stat line of his MiLB career. It took 79 games (including postseason) and a 7-AB day for the youngest player in his league to be struck out twice in a single game.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Sounds pretty reasonable.  As for his time frame, I don't see how they don't call him up at some point next season unless he somehow falls flat on his face in AAA, which is extremely unlikely.

I'm considering picking him up and leaving myself the option of keeping him even though I really don't have any room left in any of my 9 keeper spots right now.  I'm always in contention, so it's not like I would be tanking this season and stashing a bunch of prospects, but damn is he ridiculous right now.

Is a call up this year a realistic option? 

3 hours ago, bradwatson said:

No. Probably not next year either. Likely 2021 at the earliest. He just turned 18 last month.

2019 might not happen, but he's almost definitely going to be up in 2020. The Rays are a contender and there is no reason to leave possibly the franchise's best hitter in the minors when they're in contention for a World Series title. I think a lot of people are stuck on the argument that the Rays are slow to promote their prospects. Wander, if he keeps hitting like he has in 2018-19, is not going to leave them any choice. No way this kid doesn't make it to the majors in 2020, and I'll go out on a limb and suggest it's by June 2020.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Baseball Batman said:

2019 might not happen, but he's almost definitely going to be up in 2020. The Rays are a contender and there is no reason to leave possibly the franchise's best hitter in the minors when they're in contention for a World Series title. I think a lot of people are stuck on the argument that the Rays are slow to promote their prospects. Wander, if he keeps hitting like he has in 2018-19, is not going to leave them any choice. No way this kid doesn't make it to the majors in 2020, and I'll go out on a limb and suggest it's by June 2020.

I don't really see it as them being slow to promote as much as I do the fact that he's so young. He'll still be only 19 for all of 2020 and only 20 in 2021. How many players have been promoted at age 19 over the past decade? Less than 10 I would imagine. Have the Rays ever promoted someone that young? He'll have to continue scorching over the next year for that to happen. It's definitely possible but not a certainty.

And for anyone wondering the last player to make his MLB debut at age 18 was A-Rod back in 94 from what I can see. Honestly it's hard to even look this stuff up. So 2019 is not happening for Franco. Is it possible? Sure anything is possible, they could decide to just promote him today straight from A ball. Is it realistic? Not in the least. 2020 best case with 2021 most likely.

Edited by bradwatson
29 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

And for anyone wondering the last player to make his MLB debut at age 18 was A-Rod back in 94 from what I can see. Honestly it's hard to even look this stuff up. So 2019 is not happening for Franco. Is it possible? Sure anything is possible, they could decide to just promote him today straight from A ball. Is it realistic? Not in the least. 2020 best case with 2021 most likely. 

It's just about how exceptional the across the board tools are at such a young age...and the Rays have been pushing him too. I agree it's awfully unlikely we see him this year. But, he's already (in all likelihood) too good for A ball. Now the real question at hand is do they bump him over the High-A rung right to AA? IF they do, whoa boy would that be a telltale sign that he could arrive posthaste...

ESPN fantasy (it the old insider/plus whatever now) has a story up today that is a pretty good read, proclaiming him the new No.1 dynasty prospect...something most of us already began doing in this thread awhile ago :) 

6 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's just about how exceptional the across the board tools are at such a young age...and the Rays have been pushing him too. I agree it's awfully unlikely we see him this year. But, he's already (in all likelihood) too good for A ball. Now the real question at hand is do they bump him over the High-A rung right to AA? IF they do, whoa boy would that be a telltale sign that he could arrive posthaste...

ESPN fantasy (it the old insider/plus whatever now) has a story up today that is a pretty good read, proclaiming him the new No.1 dynasty prospect...something most of us already began doing in this thread awhile ago :) 

I only do 1 league, and it's a dynasty league where I own Franco so I would love for him to get called up tomorrow... I'm just trying to look at these things realistically. I have owned Brendan Rodgers for seemingly 10 years now and I'm still waiting on him. Franco is more talented, but I remember Rodgers terrorizing A+ ball and thinking he was on the fast track only to see him reach AA and struggle, slowing down his progress.

If Franco keeps setting the world on fire after a promotion to AA and possibly AAA I don't think the Rays will have any choice but to promote him next year, assuming they are contenders. But he has to keep performing at a very high level, has to avoid injury, and the Rays have to be contenders next year. That's why I think it's unrealistic, mainly because it leaves no room for error. That said, again I hope it happens.

OK I think I've said enough here. I'm just happy to own this guy. He looks like a slam dunk.

I will pull a couple excerpts from today's article on ESPN+ (Tommy Rancel) just because it might help paint a picture for those that are new to this player/thread (they are mostly just fact based progression assessments) so I do not believe it will violate anything in rules about posting pay content (?):

"Franco is a unicorn. He has been able to stay extremely relevant through his last few juvenile years and now into adulthood. To their credit, the Rays, traditionally one of the slower-promoting organizations, have accelerated his placement, and he has responded with nothing but production.

Instead of keeping Franco in his native Dominican Republic for an additional summer, or moving him to its complex in Port Charlotte for Gulf Coast League action, Tampa Bay sent him to the Appalachian League in 2018 to play for the Princeton Rays -- the Rays' Rookie-level affiliate. Playing against mostly 20-year-olds, the newly turned 17-year-old hit .351/.418/.587 with 28 extra-base hits (11 home runs) in 61 games. Even more impressive, he walked 27 times and struck out on just 19 occasions."

"The next rung up from Princeton on the organizational ladder is usually a short-season assignment with Class-A Hudson Valley of the New York-Penn League. Once more, the Rays bucked their own trend and placed Franco with their full-season affiliate in Bowling Green to start the 2019 campaign.

Now 18, in a league where most players can get a beer after the game, Franco is once again more than holding his own. He entered last night's action riding a 10-game hit streak and did not stop there. He went 3-for-4 with two home runs to make it 11 straight. Overall, he is hitting .333 with a 1.041 OPS in 81 plate appearances. He already has 11 extra-base hits and once again is walking (11) more than he is striking out (7). Have I mentioned all this offensive output is coming from a shortstop?"

"Franco is not just a statistical wunderkind. Franco generates insane bat speed with a feel for the strike zone, which has scouts and evaluators in agreement with what the numbers portend. In ranking Franco third overall on his preseason top 100 behind Tatis and Guerrero Jr., Keith Law said "you can easily future-grade him 70 hit/70 power, and if he stays at shortstop, we're wondering if he's a top-five player in all of baseball."

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

its already out of control

Vlad will be bowing down to Franco in a season or two...

Ok, maybe not quite that out of control, but I agree with you. 😀  Although I guess it's kind of hard to argue when a SS prospect is doing what he is doing so far.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:02 PM, KilloWertz said:

Vlad will be bowing down to Franco in a season or two...

Ok, maybe not quite that out of control, but I agree with you. 😀  Although I guess it's kind of hard to argue when a SS prospect is doing what he is doing so far.

About that SS position. Realistically, what are we expecting him to land at in MLB based on his fielding? I've heard he's a future 3B (boo) and also have heard he could end up at 2B (yay). Something else to consider is that teams are starting to value hitting more and more and defense less and less.