NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wander Franco, SS, TB

8 hours ago, UberRebel said:

About that SS position. Realistically, what are we expecting him to land at in MLB based on his fielding? I've heard he's a future 3B (boo) and also have heard he could end up at 2B (yay). Something else to consider is that teams are starting to value hitting more and more and defense less and less.

Doubt the Rays ever embrace this, they love Defense

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's playing in the Florida State League.   (Qualified) League leaders in BA: 1. Larnach .316 2. Stevenson .298 3. Sugilio .288 Franco .333   (Qualified) League

"Franco grew up in the same neighborhood as two-time Cleveland Indians All-Star, Jose Ramirez. The MVP candidate raves about Franco’s ability to play the game and claims the Rays budding superstar pro

Posted Images

He has been very good for his age and considering he is a South American player in the Midwest league. That league is always notoriously tough on young players from that part of the world. I almost feel like if he was in High-A right now in Charlotte his numbers would be better. Gotta love the strikeout to walk ratio as well. Just a tremendous all around talent. Best prospect in baseball easily now with others graduating.

One of only four 18 year olds in A ball(the other three with wRC+ below 100) and the 18th highest wRC+ at 155. Also one of only eight guys in A ball with more walks than K's. Does another month of this get him to high A? Looks like Tatis is the only guy in the last ten years that has made it to AA at 18.

19 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

One of only four 18 year olds in A ball(the other three with wRC+ below 100) and the 18th highest wRC+ at 155. Also one of only eight guys in A ball with more walks than K's. Does another month of this get him to high A? Looks like Tatis is the only guy in the last ten years that has made it to AA at 18.

It will be interesting to see. I think this kid could be in AA no sweat right now based on how advanced he is with the bat.

35 minutes ago, JoeBossman said:

I can see him being ranked # 1 or 2 in the prospect rankings next year

He should be the unanimous #1. He is a very special talent. If he manages to stay at shortstop, that ices it even more.

• Like 1

Wander or Luis Robert should be top dog. Adell should be back soon and his skillset should keep him top 5 at least, The 3 Astros Whitley, yordan, Tucker are anybodys call Houston seems to think they ain't worthy so why should I?

59 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

is there a chance that Franco can Soto this year and at some point get called up to TB?

Doesn't seem like they're moving him up quickly. I think next year might be optimistic still. I would certainly not invest in Franco in redraft even in 20 teamer.

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

is there a chance that Franco can Soto this year and at some point get called up to TB?

More or less a zero percent chance. I stashed at the beginning of the season in an NA spot just in case he came out and demolished single-A followed by getting promoted to A+ quickly, demolishing that and taking it from there - but he started out fairly slow in single-A, and while the overall numbers are respectable (especially for his age), he remains at that level and isn't likely to fast track his way until 2020 at the earliest. He really would've had to post Yordan Alvarez type numbers to get himself fast tracked this season (and even then the Rays may have continued slow cooking him).

I dropped him in that 16 team league (ultra competitive 6 player keeper league with one NA stash spot) a few weeks ago and no one picked him up if that tells you anything (a lot of sharp forward-thinking minds in that league too).

Edited by Dark One
  • Like 1

His OPS sits right at .900. Nobody else on his team is even at .800. He's the youngest player in the league...

Does his team just suck or is it a pitcher friendly league? I don't follow these early leagues overall.

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

His OPS sits right at .900. Nobody else on his team is even at .800. He's the youngest player in the league...

Does his team just suck or is it a pitcher friendly league? I don't follow these early leagues overall.

The Midwest League is fairly pitcher-friendly. The April weather in the Midwest factors into that, especially for young Latin American players who are dealing with that kind of cold for the first time in their lives. Makes what Wander is doing even more impressive.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

The Midwest League is fairly pitcher-friendly. The April weather in the Midwest factors into that, especially for young Latin American players who are dealing with that kind of cold for the first time in their lives. Makes what Wander is doing even more impressive.

spacer.png

• Like 1
15 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Doesn't seem like they're moving him up quickly. I think next year might be optimistic still. I would certainly not invest in Franco in redraft even in 20 teamer.

I was thinking more for a keeper league. I'm in a 16 team keeper league, but we only keep 5. last yeah I picked up Soto early when he was moving rapidly through the minors. doesn't appear TB is doing that with Franco, but I'd hate to miss TB moving him up and lose out on being able to stash Franco. I don't want to stash him now sine I'm contending and we don't have an NA spot.

8 hours ago, bradwatson said:

I’m pretty sure wRC+ adjusts for that. Wander’s is sitting at 154 this far which is pretty damn impressive for someone who just turned 18 two months ago. I know it’s not going to happen but I’m wondering if he isn’t already better than Willy Adames if Tampa were to get really aggressive and push for a WS ring this year.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’m pretty sure wRC+ adjusts for that. Wander’s is sitting at 154 this far which is pretty damn impressive for someone who just turned 18 two months ago. I know it’s not going to happen but I’m wondering if he isn’t already better than Willy Adames if Tampa were to get really aggressive and push for a WS ring this year.

This was discussed at length a few pages back, but I would say it's less than a 1% chance. A-Rod is the last 18-year-old to make his MLB debut from what I can see.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:05 PM, 12to6 said:

YTD stats:

.291/.379/.872, 9 2B, 3 3B, 4HR, 20:14 BB:K, 7-4 SB-CS

I just rushed to fangraphs to see if he was really slugging 872 lol. Think you put in his OPS instead of his (now) .476slg

2 hours ago, KrunK said:

I just rushed to fangraphs to see if he was really slugging 872 lol. Think you put in his OPS instead of his (now) .476slg

Oh man, you're absolutely right. Yikes, I didn't notice that. Thanks for correcting me!

Hitting .318 now, only two strikeouts in last 10 games, the dude just does not strikeout. The only thing missing right now is the HR power but that will come with age. He’s also a young 18, only turning the age in March. Have to think he will be in High A before too long, as pitchers clearly aren’t fooling him with one of the lowest K rates in the minors.

Also has 10 steals as be swiped two more last night. Love this guy, so an amazing prospect.

• Like 1