Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

John Collins 2018-2019 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, rameshdataya said:


oh, it says a lot. you say collins is crap and yet you were able to flip him for a much better player. i mean, what kind of crappy player can you flip into deandre ayton? you didn't cut bait the way you make it sound like. instead, you were able to make a no-brainer upgrade - and collins' numbers/upside played a major role in that ;)

and lastly... collins and lavine for the likes of gobert and drummond? no wonder why their owners laughed. you just tried to fleece them :lol:

 

ha which is it Collins has good fantasy value and is worth something good because he netted me Ayton yet im trying to fleece the drum capela gobert turner owners? 

 

hows that possible with Ayton in the same tier as those bigs and lavine is much better than Teague? already know your response will be Ayton is not as good as

 those bigs, then ill be like check the numbers and rankings, then someone else will be like rankings dont matter, then we just wasted everyones time.

 

ik your just busting balls to be a d bag but atleast don't contradict yourself and look foolish

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

ha which is it Collins has good fantasy value and is worth something good because he netted me Ayton yet im trying to fleece the drum capela gobert turner owners? 

 

hows that possible with Ayton in the same tier as those bigs and lavine is much better than Teague? already know your response will be Ayton is not as good as

 those bigs, then ill be like check the numbers and rankings, then someone else will be like rankings dont matter, then we just wasted everyones time.

 

ik your just busting balls to be a d bag but atleast don't contradict yourself and look foolish


there is no contradiction. you were offering collins WITH A GIMPY lavine for gobert/capela on one hand. and then collins/filler for ayton on the other. you just answered your own question, captain obvious. :lol:

i love john collins, but if  you try to offer him and a GIMPY lavine to me for gobert... i'd laugh at you too ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wallacesnoop said:

Without stocks this guy is pretty much Kanter with 30+ min playing time.

Traded him and Thad for Tobias and not looking back. Love this kid and is easily a lock for 20-10 most nights so if the rest of your team can support his lack of stocks you're gravy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22-16-4 with 2 treys in 37 minutes.

 

Great things usually happen when jcoll gets 32+ mins. So thats the key. Avoid foul trouble and stay on the floor for now. So easy to forget that he's still a WIP.

 

I still believe the blocks are going to come eventually. The hawks now know what he brings offensively. Hopefully the next step is to push him more on defense. He did block 1.4 shots per game last year in limited minutes. There is still upside here 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, rameshdataya said:

22-16-4 with 2 treys in 37 minutes.

 

Great things usually happen when jcoll gets 32+ mins. So thats the key. Avoid foul trouble and stay on the floor for now. So easy to forget that he's still a WIP.

 

I still believe the blocks are going to come eventually. The hawks now know what he brings offensively. Hopefully the next step is to push him more on defense. He did block 1.4 shots per game last year in limited minutes. There is still upside here 😁

wrong. 1.1 on the year

and 0.9 post as break at 28 min 

might be upside because of youth and athleticism  but not likely this year

Edited by colepenhagen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own him in 9 cat H2H. He is great for me. In a H2H format you 'd rather own a player who is elite in a bunch of cats and irrelevant to the rest, than own a guy who is mediocre in all cats. In roto it is an other story... If he keeps his ft % in a descent degree, i will be more than satisfied with his production as it is right now. As far as the reasoning behind the lack in stocks, i can only think that he knows he is the 1st or 2nd option on offense and he can't risk foul trouble. Keep in mind that Hawks are trying to lose every game possible, so it's not like the coaching staff will push him to show more enthusiasm on the defensive end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

might be upside because of youth and athleticism  but not likely this year

Not likely this year? Says who? You nostradamus? 😂

 

Never say never. You never know. Guy plays above the rim. Its just a matter of figuring things out. I mean, who would have expected him to emerge into nearly a 20-10 player this soon? I love the guy, but he's exceeded my expectations already. And i drafted him in round 4. Improving the blks would be gravy.

 

The comparison with last season's kanter is actually apt. But i dare say collins has actually been better already. He's consistently getting more minutes than enes because even minus the blks, collins' defense is actually more serviceable than kanter. Hes very athletic and mobile. The coach can play him more, the leash longer. Todays game is a perfect example. 😎

 

And... jesus, stop hating on the player already. Youve already traded him away. No reason for you to keep whining about the lack of stocks. Let us - the remaining collins owners - do that. Stop hatin' 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, rameshdataya said:

Not likely this year? Says who? You nostradamus? 😂

 

Never say never. You never know. Guy plays above the rim. Its just a matter of figuring things out. I mean, who would have expected him to emerge into nearly a 20-10 player this soon? I love the guy, but he's exceeded my expectations already. And i drafted him in round 4. Improving the blks would be gravy.

 

The comparison with last season's kanter is actually apt. But i dare say collins has actually been better already. He's consistently getting more minutes than enes because even minus the blks, collins' defense is actually more serviceable than kanter. Hes very athletic and mobile. The coach can play him more, the leash longer. Todays game is a perfect example. 😎

 

And... jesus, stop hating on the player already. Youve already traded him away. No reason for you to keep whining about the lack of stocks. Let us - the remaining collins owners - do that. Stop hatin' 😁

im not hating but when you just spew non sense with wrong stats im going to say something.

you don't have to be Nostradamus to see  when he got the increased min last year and this year his blks went down because he is obviously not challenging shots like he was when he was able to do that when he only played limited min. because he wants/needs to stay on the court and out of foul trouble

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

im not hating but when you just spew non sense with wrong stats im going to say something.

 

Oh of course you're hating dude. Come on. You called the player a bum. And you didnt stop complaining about the lack of stocks even when you already flipped him for a guy drafted a round or two earlier. 😁

 

Like i said before, let us - the remaining collins owners - complain about the lack of stocks. But so far, only few of us do, because even without the stocks collins is already carrying our teams in ways we never imagined 😉

 

Dude is a stud. OUR stud. No longer yours. So shut up and move to the ayton thread. Period. 😁

 

Edited by rameshdataya
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, rameshdataya said:

 

Oh of course you're hating dude. Come on. You called the player a bum. And you didnt stop complaining about the lack of stocks even when you already flipped him for a guy drafted a round or two earlier. 😁

 

Like i said before, let us - the remaining collins owners - complain about the lack of stocks. But so far, only few of us do, because even without the stocks collins is already carrying our teams in ways we never imagined 😉

 

Dude is a stud. OUR stud. No longer yours. So shut up and move to the ayton thread. Period. 😁

 

not complaining just correcting your mistake

you bring nothing relevant to this thread so you should just stop please. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding his blocks, I think they'll gradually increase as the season progresses. I've watched most of his games this season, and it's become clear that he's making an effort to defend without fouling. Foul trouble has plagued him at times. His defense looked solid today, and he seemed judicious in his steal and block attempts. I think as he grows more comfortable with his defense, he'll know when to go for the ball. Actually, he attempted a block on a Turner monster dunk attempt, and I also could've sworn he got a steal in the final minutes of the game... So he did indeed take some opportunities at the ball.

 

Overall I would be quite happy with his current production: a consistent 20-10 double-double + high FG% + out of position dimes and treys. In terms of blocks, I'd fathom they'll gradually increase, and he'll probably end up with around 1.0.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

not complaining just correcting your mistake

you bring nothing relevant to this thread so you should just stop please. 

 

Lol. He who bashes the player and bringing nothing new to the thread is the one who should shut up. And thats you. You do realize you keep repeating yourself over and over. The hate is consuming you bro 😁

 

38 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

If someone had criticism of a player, let them share it. This isn't a cheerleader forum and I don't want it to be. 

 

I have no problem with criticism. But when a guy keeps bashing the player and repeating everything it all over again, then thats a different story altogether. 

 

But yeah, im indeed sounding like collins biggest cheerleader. And that i probably am 😂

 

i started the day with a positive post on collins, whose statline today gave us all collins owners a reason to be. Im not gonna let some hater ruin that.

 

Happy new year to everyone in this thread 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, hoop said:

Regarding his blocks, I think they'll gradually increase as the season progresses. I've watched most of his games this season, and it's become clear that he's making an effort to defend without fouling. Foul trouble has plagued him at times. His defense looked solid today, and he seemed judicious in his steal and block attempts. I think as he grows more comfortable with his defense, he'll know when to go for the ball. Actually, he attempted a block on a Turner monster dunk attempt, and I also could've sworn he got a steal in the final minutes of the game... So he did indeed take some opportunities at the ball.

 

Overall I would be quite happy with his current production: a consistent 20-10 double-double + high FG% + out of position dimes and treys. In terms of blocks, I'd fathom they'll gradually increase, and he'll probably end up with around 1.0.

My sentiment as well. Hes too athletic and too bouncy to be a black hole in blocks. I expect him to reach the 1 blk plateau when the season is over. Lets hope that happens 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rameshdataya said:

My sentiment as well. Hes too athletic and too bouncy to be a black hole in blocks. I expect him to reach the 1 blk plateau when the season is over. Lets hope that happens 😁

Eh, Blake Griffin is/was bouncy and athletic too. Didn't translate into blocks. Some guys just have a nose for certain parts of the game. Barkley rebounding comes to mind. Not the tallest or most athletic guy but could get the rebs like none other (in his time). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cochise316 said:

Eh, Blake Griffin is/was bouncy and athletic too. Didn't translate into blocks. Some guys just have a nose for certain parts of the game. Barkley rebounding comes to mind. Not the tallest or most athletic guy but could get the rebs like none other (in his time). 

 

Good point. Although, griffin never did average at least 1 bpg in a season. As a rookie, he managed just 0.5 blks. Collins on the other hand averaged 1.1 bpg as a rook ( i mistyped it at 1.4 in a post yesterday) with a per-36 of 1.6.

 

When you watch collins play its easy to see that he can explode and block some shots. His game winning swat of kemba a month ago is a shining example. The problem is foul trouble when hes being too agressive, and as a rookie last year he bit on way too many fakes (much to budenholzer's chagrin 😄).

 

Coach Pierce is mainly a player development specialist rather than an X & O's type. So i think collins' block dropoff this year is by design. But with him already affirming himself as a double2x threat this early, i cant help but wonder if pierce will eventually want to explore the other facets of collins game this season, particularly rim protection.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...