NBC Sports Edge Forums

Keep Diggs or Tyreek? WHIR

Hill.

I really like Diggs... but he seems like he gets hurt every year which saps his production, somewhere in the middle of the season. We're unsure how he'll be utilized with Cook back, Cousins in the mix, and Thielen having a stellar year.

Can Cousins support two WR1's? If not, who's going to be a WR1 by seasons end? 

I say WR1, because that's what Tyreek Hill will be. Hill is one of the fastest players in the league, with exceptional route running. He's engrained into KC's system. With the addition of Watkins, he'll have way more room to operate and utllize his speed.

There's less question in KC. They have a worst defense, they have a young QB with an arm. He's going to lock onto the WR that knows the system. That would be Hill.

Tyreek Hill all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Diggs, and I say that having had a lot of points from Hill last season. The thing is that Hill is very inconsistent; flashes of genius one game, the next game you wonder whether he stayed in the locker room. 
Diggs is one major talent and I think a more useful WR2 to have.

• Like 1

That's a tough one. I think I'm unfairly biased against Hill since he is often labeled a gadget type player and some of the plays he makes are so spectacular that they seem flukey (although he makes these type of plays fairly routinely). I am a little worried about the addition of Watkins who is a bigger more complete receiver and with the additional talent Hill may be pushed even further into the gadget type role which could make his scoring even more volatile. Without a doubt he'll significantly cut into Hill and Kelce's targets and with a young QB and Ware healthy KC may feature the run game more this year. 

I don't agree with some of the concerns ponza88 brings up. The injuries are definitely a concern since he missed 2 games last year and 3 the year before. The good news is that none of them are injuries that should affect him going forward (groin, hip and knee sprains) but the frequency of all these small injuries isn't a good sign. I don't think the return of Cook is any concern (Diggs put up some of his best games when Cook was healthy, Murray and McKinnon got a lot of work filling in for him and especially early next season they probably are going to ease Cook into things). If Chase Keenum can almost support 2 WR1s in this offense I don't see why Cousins can't, I think he is without question an upgrade and should only help Diggs (Keenum targeted Thielen a ton and with a new QB there is a chance Diggs gets an uptick). The Vikings had a strong defense this past year and both were still able to put up very good numbers. Additionally, I think Diggs is the more talented WR than Thielen (and Hill). 

I think Diggs offers a comparable upside to Hill but as a much more complete and conventional WR offers a higher floor so personally I'd go with him. Hill certainly isn't a bad option either but I think your chasing the past a little with him and I believe Diggs is a more attractive option going forward.  

Edited by Jaw1
  • Thanks 1

I think Tyreek has the higher ceiling. Diggs is competing with Theilan for targets. Hill is competing with Watkins, and with Watkins I'm going to need to see it before I believe it. He just hasn't produced. Theilan IMO is about on the same level as Diggs.

I think KC will be in a lot more shootout, high scoring games than the Vikings. Compare the defenses of the 2 teams. The Vikings are going to try to be a stout defense, ball control, kill the clock with Dalvin-centric team. I believe in Mahomes (I will be drafting him 100%) and his arm, and if the KC defense is anything like last year, they will give up a lot of points.

Tyreek higher ceiling, lower floor of course, but I think overall his situation is substantially more optimal for fantasy production.

• Thanks 1

Hill. Diggs is very good. But Hill is a weapon unlike many others. Sky high ceiling. Getting better each year. I always look to keep the player with the higher ceiling. In this case, I think that is Hill. I think he and Mahomes should have a great connection with Mahomes having a cannon for an arm.

• Thanks 1

It's definitely a tough call.  

Diggs: Looked elite early last season before injury. Has what appears to be a better QB, certainly a better offense.  There is a question of which WR is #1 but I'm not sure that matters here.  I think more or less it's about whether or not Diggs can stay healthy assuming Cousins does well.  

Hill: There are questions of how well Mahomes will play and how Watkins will affect Hill's share.  The interesting thing about the Watkins move is that he replaces a possession wr (Maclin.)  This makes me think they will use Watkins to cut the top off while using Tyreek more in space, which makes a ton of sense given his attributes and size.  Still, that's looking into the future and it's anyone's guess how this will shake out.  I will say, I looked back at his 2017 highlights and everything about his play is impressive.  His hands, route running and speed are all there and Hill just embarrasses guys on go routes.  

That all being said, I love Diggs' chances if he stays healthy. This seems like a 6 to 5 and pick em. Gonna be a tough one.