NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dynasty League, Draft Day / Trade Advice, WHIR 100%

14 team dynasty league (Roster size: 9 starters, 15 reserves, 4 taxi squad):

QB: Carr, Flacco, Keenum, Webb

WR: Amendola, Campanero, Cole, Garcon, Davis, King, Perriman, K. White, Trent Taylor

RB: Miller, Ware, Jones, Breida, Darkwa

TE: Howard, Kendricks, Griffin, Gathers

I took the team over last year and wasn't really left with any good options but a slew of draft picks. Got David and Howard in the first round of the rookie draft and this year I have picks 1.01, 1.08, and 2.01. Curious if I should grab instant impact rookies, or try and trade these picks away for a more proven player who can instantly upgrade my WR or RB position. Thoughts here?

Thanks!

At 1 you're obviously going to take Barkley, only trade him for an offer you can't refuse (I recently traded fournette and the 2nd lick for Barkley and the 10th pick). At 8 go with the flow of the draft, I've seen Chubb go as high as 2 and yesterday got him at 9 in a rookie draft. I believe Chubb is your best bet if available. At 2.01 I would consider Lamar Jackson, Carr is good but may never be an elite QB1, Jackson has that upside.

Or at 8 if you aren't happy with any og the options move that pick for a 1st next year from the worst team that wants it.

• Like 1

Dude, that is a ruin that makes Pompeii look good. You're going to have some fun turning that into a proper team I'm sure - and when you do, it'll be very satisfying.

I like what Ddam is saying; go for the instant RB rookies and one QB so you can at least have a season. 

Who is in the taxi squad, anything worthwhile?

4 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Dude, that is a ruin that makes Pompeii look good. You're going to have some fun turning that into a proper team I'm sure - and when you do, it'll be very satisfying.

I like what Ddam is saying; go for the instant RB rookies and one QB so you can at least have a season. 

Dont think it is that bad. Saquan/Miller is rock solid in a 14 teamer. WRs need some work.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

At 1 you're obviously going to take Barkley, only trade him for an offer you can't refuse (I recently traded fournette and the 2nd lick for Barkley and the 10th pick). At 8 go with the flow of the draft, I've seen Chubb go as high as 2 and yesterday got him at 9 in a rookie draft. I believe Chubb is your best bet if available. At 2.01 I would consider Lamar Jackson, Carr is good but may never be an elite QB1, Jackson has that upside.

Or at 8 if you aren't happy with any og the options move that pick for a 1st next year from the worst team that wants it.

This is obviously my strategy but was just curious if trading back for proven talent was a better move so I could at least have somewhat of a season. However, I took this team over to rebuild and be elite down the road rather than now so this aligns with where my head is at. Thanks for the advice!

14 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Thanks man. Taxi squad was just cleared prior to the draft so everyone I had on there is now on active roster. Time to add some rookies to it!

• Like 1

Definitely looks like a roster under construction. You obviously take Barkley at number 1 and you don't trade him unless you get a king's ransom. Your WR and QB situation could use some work so I'd shop other 2 picks but I'd also be aware that you could probably snag one of the top QBs and one of the top WR with those picks and build a potential dynasty for the future with those 3 picks (you don't have too much to be excited about in the present). 

That sounds kinda like fun though I might look into a 14+ team dynasty league although I imagine its very very unbalanced since hitting and missing on prospects carries a ton more weight.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ddam2013 said:

Chubb went 4 btw :)

1 hour ago, Jaw1 said:

Definitely looks like a roster under construction. You obviously take Barkley at number 1 and you don't trade him unless you get a king's ransom. Your WR and QB situation could use some work so I'd shop other 2 picks but I'd also be aware that you could probably snag one of the top QBs and one of the top WR with those picks and build a potential dynasty for the future with those 3 picks (you don't have too much to be excited about in the present). 

That sounds kinda like fun though I might look into a 14+ team dynasty league although I imagine its very very unbalanced since hitting and missing on prospects carries a ton more weight.

Yeah that was pretty much the plan once I took over this team. Build a proper dynasty from scratch and set myself up for victories in the future. Hopefully it pays off...Jackson, Barkley, Davis, Howard should be a solid team to build around.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DeathOnWings1005 said:

Chubb went 4 btw :)

It all depends on the league you play in and whether or not they want the better player this year or the better player for the next 7 years. The league I got him at 9, most of the owners have a mindset that is very similar to redraft leagues in which they want the player that helps their lineup the most this season and they deal with next year when it comes. Ridley/DJ Moore would be a good choice at 8 as well.

8 hours ago, DeathOnWings1005 said:

This is obviously my strategy but was just curious if trading back for proven talent was a better move so I could at least have somewhat of a season. However, I took this team over to rebuild and be elite down the road rather than now so this aligns with where my head is at. Thanks for the advice!

I'd go young.  If you change your strategy so you can "have a season", it still won't be a very good one.  Stick to your plan.

Return the favor?

Thanks for all the help and advice. My final rookie draft results were:

1.01: Saquon Barkley

1.08: Calvin Ridley

2.01: Lamar Jackson

2.09: Jordan Wilkins

3.01: Hayden Hurst

4.01: Jordan Akins

I think I set myself up well for the future and if 1 of the TE's I drafted pans out then I'll be set.