NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2018 Vent & Rant Thread

Started Elliot, no td, good amount of yards, and a fumble, no td! Stared A. Jones, injured after 8 total yards, that’s 0.8, no, td. Thielen, no td, 2 receptions for 19 yards=1.9. Started bills d, 3 pts. Have roethlisberger while he’s got Samuels. Got Thomas while he’s got kamara. It’s 5:00 and I’m calling it. End of season.

I hope my opponent gets obliterated in the finals.  Same guy beat me for the title last year by 2 pts..this year I'm getting the boot from him in the semis after a barrage of injuries.

The problem with this game as a hobby is there is so much luck involved that you kind of HAVE to invest way too much time to overcome the level of bad luck that can strike.  Someone posted a while back that the money returned was like $0.66/hr..lol yeah that seems about right..and thats IF you even win...I don't think there's ever been a hobby that I hated so much and loved so much all at the same time.  Don't think I'll ever quit but damn, is this s--- unforgiving at times.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

I hope my opponent gets obliterated in the finals.  Same guy beat me for the title last year by 2 pts..this year I'm getting the boot from him in the semis after a barrage of injuries.

The problem with this game as a hobby is there is so much luck involved that you kind of HAVE to invest way too much time to overcome the level of bad luck that can strike.  Someone posted a while back that the money returned was like $0.66/hr..lol yeah that seems about right..and thats IF you even win...I don't think there's ever been a hobby that I hated so much and loved so much all at the same time.  Don't think I'll ever quit but damn, is this s--- unforgiving at times.

Or you realize no matter if you invest 5 minutes a week or 5 hours your chances are the same. 100 percent luck.

• Like 4

Love it...

CLE vs DEN, supposed to be a shootout....Lindsay gives me practically nothing against a suddenly "Kobe Inspired" run defense...

DAL vs IND was supposed to be a shootout.....IND 23-0....Zeke only gets me like 15 PPR points...

PIT vs NE, supposed to be a big shootout....right now, 17-10.....all running, no passing...JuJu having no kind of game....

1st place. Highest point scored. Facing the 7th seed

His special teams score almost more than my entire team

Last week a lot of players stunk up. Baldwin disappearing. Kamara for some reason gets demoted to playing special teams. I put in too much work. alarm clock at  4am for waivers. listenign to podcast. and then this. i picked up ware. i picked up williams and still won't break 80pts with my 1st place team while the 7th seed will almost break 200pts ppr

This week I had Lindsay , Gronk combined for 10pts

so stupid

Edited by Woonga24

Had one TD from my team, it came on Thursday night from Jackson, he was the only player to hit projection. All that time wasted to watch my team have its worst game of the year. Im going to score 40 under my season average. Damn this game to hell. 

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

Or you realize no matter if you invest 5 minutes a week or 5 hours your chances are the same. 100 percent luck.

I think this is the key. The reason we get frustrated is because the time and effort we invest in this hobby is usually not rewarded, no matter how many “right” decisions we make.

I assembled the best dynasty team I’ve ever had in 20 years, easy 1 seed, my team described by league mates as stacked, insanely good, etc. And it was. I had arguably the top 3 WRs, 4 RB1s, and high end depth. I was eliminated in round 1 by a terrible 4-9 8th seed. 

So, what exactly should I do differently next year? Assemble a rag tag team of scrubs like the one that beat me? Of course not, but it was proven to me that assembling what seems like an unbeatable team on paper means nothing. It still comes down to 100% wacky luck. I can’t possibly justify putting any time/effort whatsoever into this game going forward. Why waste time trying to solve an unsolvable puzzle? 

Any frustration should be directed at ourselves for wasting any more than a few minutes per week on this foolishness. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I got a bad (possible) beat for you. Beating will continue into tomorrow night.

I play the crappiest team in the playoffs after earning a 1st round bye. He is at least 150pts behind every other playoff team. He has been playing Royce Freeman and Kenny Stills all year. Just before the Thursday game he decided to bench Stills for.....yep........Mike Williams.

He still plays Royce, so a nice gift to me there.

I have the decision between either Lamar Miller or Chris Carson. Had Miller in and decided to stick with it Saturday morning since he gets a little work in the passing game too, and Carroll rotates 3 rbs.

My daughter has an all day basketball tournament in a junior high school. Cell phone doesn't work there for some reason, not sure if there is some signal blockers or something going, but I can't check roto, don't get updates, and missed that Penny was being ruled out and Carson was now in a better situation. Game starts, Miller gets locked, and subsequently injured almost immediately. Carson scores 23.80 on my bench today.

Add to that, Ebron and Josh Gordon's stellar lines and I am getting crushed by 60. I still have a sliver of hope, but its bleak. Need Goff, Kamara and Zuerlein  to be amazing, and Robert Woods to Gordon him.

Down OBJ, AJG, and Conner heading into the playoffs. Fantastic.

The most frustrating thing for me is that it seems every year some scrub 3rd stringer puts up a stud performance in the playoffs....

A couple years ago I remember Tim Hightower on the Saints killing me in the championship....this year you have Damien Williams going bananas.

It's always THE GUY you don't pick up that goes off!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meverett85 said:

The most frustrating thing for me is that it seems every year some scrub 3rd stringer puts up a stud performance in the playoffs....

A couple years ago I remember Tim Hightower on the Saints killing me in the championship....this year you have Damien Williams going bananas.

It's always THE GUY you don't pick up that goes off!

Gus was one of the guys to knock me out today, I stupidly drafted Collins in the 5th. 

18 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I think this is the key. The reason we get frustrated is because the time and effort we invest in this hobby is usually not rewarded, no matter how many “right” decisions we make.

I assembled the best dynasty team I’ve ever had in 20 years, easy 1 seed, my team described by league mates as stacked, insanely good, etc. And it was. I had arguably the top 3 WRs, 4 RB1s, and high end depth. I was eliminated in round 1 by a terrible 4-9 8th seed. 

So, what exactly should I do differently next year? Assemble a rag tag team of scrubs like the one that beat me? Of course not, but it was proven to me that assembling what seems like an unbeatable team on paper means nothing. It still comes down to 100% wacky luck. I can’t possibly justify putting any time/effort whatsoever into this game going forward. Why waste time trying to solve an unsolvable puzzle? 

Any frustration should be directed at ourselves for wasting any more than a few minutes per week on this foolishness. 

It's certainly not 100% luck, but I feel so much of this.