NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2018 Vent & Rant Thread

2 hours ago, chud12 said:

I had Ertz as my starting tight end and because of injuries to Obj, Ware snd Conner I was fiddling with my lu all week because news on each player not playing broke at diff times. So by the time Sunday came around just a major brain fart on my part. It’s a vent thread, I didn’t ask for feedback. I know it sucks lol. 

I wish I had seen even one expert ranking Samuels above Ertz. I planned on starting him all week, then chickened out right before kickoff - a big factor in that was not being able to find anyone ranking Samuels above Ertz as a flex option or as a TE in Yahoo leagues. It wasn't even close. I figured I was missing something obvious, so I backed off. I don't get it, to be honest. Samuels blew him away. So close and yet so far...

Edited by 99-percent-sure
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Every one of my bench RBs (Mack, Brieda & Jackson) outscored my starting RBs (Fournette, Miller & Adams). 

24.90+14.50+9.60= 49.00 pts 

6.40. +  0.80+8.80= 16.00 pts

I am still up by 30.60 ... opponent has Brees & Thomas 

I was up 30 points until the dinks and dunks started with Woods and Reynolds, while they ignored Cooks. Go figure my opponent gets two of his guys targeted late in the game while mine totally gets ignored. So, in the 4th, my 30 point lead quickly dwindled to 17. Luckily that Reynolds TD got overturned. I hate full PPR. If Brees goes off tonight, I’m toast.

Edited by FitzMagic

7 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I’ve noted for next year that your regular season players are irrelevant come playoff time. It’s pretty ridiculous you can waiver wire to a championship. Had I done that, I wouldn’t be facing elimination tonight against Drew Brees. 

Yea a ton of injuries to regular season warriors and of the healthy players a ton threw up fat turds or pedestrian games this week. It was crazy.  Lindsay, Ertz, Barkley, Ju-Ju, Fournette, Thielen, Cook, Ebron, Allen, Kelce, Kittle, A. Jones, Hill, Cooks, Zeke, L. Miller etc... etc... 

I was fortunate enough to survive but my best player was Damien freaking Williams. 

20 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I’ve noted for next year that your regular season players are irrelevant come playoff time. It’s pretty ridiculous you can waiver wire to a championship. Had I done that, I wouldn’t be facing elimination tonight against Drew Brees. 

Really? It seems more ridiculous to me to be able to just draft to a championship. Working the waiver wire/trades is all part of the process and tends to be fairer than snake drafts at least.

6 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I was up 30 points until the dinks and dunks started with Woods and Reynolds, while they ignored Cooks. Go figure my opponent gets two of his guys targeted late in the game while mine totally gets ignored. So, in the 4th, my 30 point lead quickly dwindled to 17. Luckily that Reynolds TD got overturned. I hate full PPR. If Brees goes off tonight, I’m toast.

I hate to wish something bad on a player but .... 

as you know I am going against a stack (Brees/Thomas). 

If Brees is on tonight I want him to end my misery before half time, let’s not wait till the end of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I hate to wish something bad on a player but .... 

as you know I am going against a stack (Brees/Thomas). 

If Brees is on tonight I want him to end my misery before half time, let’s not wait till the end of the game. 

True, because I don't like either of these teams playing tonight. :lol:

1 hour ago, 99-percent-sure said:

I wish I had seen even one expert ranking Samuels above Ertz. I planned on starting him all week, then chickened out right before kickoff - a big factor in that was not being able to find anyone ranking Samuels above Ertz as a flex option or as a TE in Yahoo leagues. It wasn't even close. I figured I was missing something obvious, so I backed off. I don't get it, to be honest. Samuels blew him away. So close and yet so far...

Very important lesson to learn.  It's okay to scan the experts rankings, but you always have to make your own decision based on your specific league settings, scoring system, opponent, remaining roster, and the like.  Rankings are a general guideline to be considered but ignored under the right circumstances.  Projections, on the other hand, must be studiously and steadfastly ignored in any and all circumstances.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sartorialism said:

Really? It seems more ridiculous to me to be able to just draft to a championship. Working the waiver wire/trades is all part of the process and tends to be fairer than snake drafts at least.

During the regular season, sure. I mean that's how I built my team. Only 1/3 of my team is drafted. The rest were from waivers and free agents. It's a shame that your star players become useless come the playoffs..

1 hour ago, 99-percent-sure said:

I learnt this the hard way a few years back and it's been my mentality ever since: RB's > everything else. Always and forever. If i have the opportunity to play a starting RB in a decent offense/match-up, i take it without question now. Even if it bites me in the arse from time to time i know it's the right decision. RBs aren't the most valuable position for no reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keithj said:

The biggest problem here is having 8 teams in the playoffs.  Unless it's a 14 or 16 team league, you shouldn't have 8 playoff teams.

Agreed.  8 playoff teams in 14-teamers is crazy.  As is 6 playoffs team in 10-teamers.  Should be hard to reach the playoff and mathematically improbable, not probable.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, awwufelloff said:

Aaron Jones single handily lost me two leagues and upwards of $2,000. 

Look on the bright side. You have an entire offseason to work on the fantasy football skill of predicting which of your key players will bone you unexpectedly. Then next year once you identify those players, bench them preemptively and replace them with a scrub that might get lucky, or at the very least, bone you less.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Look on the bright side. You have an entire offseason to work on the fantasy football skill of predicting which of your key players will bone you unexpectedly. Then next year once you identify those players, bench them preemptively and replace them with a scrub that might get lucky, or at the very least, bone you less.

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FitzMagic said:

During the regular season, sure. I mean that's how I built my team. Only 1/3 of my team is drafted. The rest were from waivers and free agents. It's a shame that your star players become useless come the playoffs..

Just remember you were laughing when your opponent slotted in Damien Williams, begging him to be locked in his line up. 

Never overlook opportunity my friend and discount a player in the NFL.  Sometimes these guys late in the year ( who are fresh ) just need an opportunity and with a lil luck magical things happen in the fantasy world. I remember starting Ryan Torain on the Skins in my Championship years back and the dude had maybe 1 other career start but he was a Rotoworld legend  so I figured why not the matchup is prime.

Work the wire every week, you never know when your 'studs' will have a videotape of them hitting some normy and then his career is over.  If you aren't at least considering bench adds each week you are doing something incorrect, the playoffs are where the informed and active owners can do wonders with any team and of course the playoffs is the time when everyone is reminded that head to head has a TON of luck built in ( injury and matchup ) 

Edited by Zak0221
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Just remember you were laughing when your opponent slotted in Damien Williams, begging him to be locked in his line up. 

Never overlook opportunity my friend and discount a player in the NFL.  Sometimes these guys late in the year ( who are fresh ) just need an opportunity and with a lil luck magical things happen in the fantasy world. I remember starting Ryan Torain on the Skins in my Championship years back and the dude had maybe 1 other career start but he was a Rotoworld legend  so I figured why not the matchup is prime.

Work the wire every week, you never know when your 'studs' will have a videotape of them hitting some normy and then his career is over.  If you aren't at least considering bench adds each week you are doing something incorrect, the playoffs are where the informed and active owners can do wonders with any team and of course the playoffs is the time when everyone is reminded that head to head has a TON of luck built in ( injury and matchup ) 

Agreed.  If fantasy team managers are holding 2nd and 3rd defenses, backup QBs, backup TEs, injured players, and the like, they are doing it wrong.  Drop those extra pieces and pick up high upside flyers instead.

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Agreed.  If fantasy team managers are holding 2nd and 3rd defenses, backup QBs, backup TEs, injured players, and the like, they are doing it wrong.  Drop those extra pieces and pick up high upside flyers instead.

Hey now don't knock my style!  I have had 2 Defenses that I planned to use in the playoffs on my team for the past 4 weeks in addition to emergency break glass QBs because my league is Super-flex, literally every starting QB outside of Kessler is owned. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

Hey now don't knock my style!  I have had 2 Defenses that I planned to use in the playoffs on my team for the past 4 weeks in addition to emergency break glass QBs because my league is Super-flex, literally every starting QB outside of Kessler is owned. 

Depending on league settings of course.

47 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Lol this is funny.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c182f087962564632

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Would love to back and pick up the Atl D..if ONLY to hold and defend myself from getting eliminated by a one week rental, bottom of the league defense.

12 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Would love to back and pick up the Atl D..if ONLY to hold and defend myself from getting eliminated by a one week rental, bottom of the league defense.

Blocking a potential key move by your opponent is different than holding a 2nd or 3rd defense just through sheer inertia, without giving it much thought.

I was in 2 leagues this year. 2nd highest scorer in both, got knocked out in one last week because I was up by 70 with David Johnson and Diggs still left...he has Kittle, Cooper, and Dak combine for 120.

Now tonight in my big money league, I'm playing the 6-7 team who got 45 points from ATL D and Fairbairn. All I needed was a modest 30 points combined from Kamara, Michael Thomas, and Ian Thomas. And the Saints decide to imitate the Cardinals offense when I needed them most.

I've never had a more frustrating year of fantasy...makes me want to give it up all together and just play daily contests.