NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2018 Vent & Rant Thread

3 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Ya and Alabama makes college football less fun than the NFL.

if you enjoy watching elite teams more than unpredictability then that’s fine but I think most people prefer parity.

Yea NBA sucks. Just hand the thing to GSW right now.

NFL/MLB/NHL playoffs are far superior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zekepeak86 said:

That was the play I lost on too. I was up after that Russell pass to Baldwin.... if only Baldwin got it. If Barkley didn’t get vultured numerous times. If Julio saw more than one second half target. If Greg didn’t clank that 50 something yarder.

3 years straight, 3 second places.

im estatic. 

Same. I'm starting to become the Jerry West of our league over here.

57 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

That’s because unlike the NFL, the NBA is 7 game series. It almost guarantees the best team wins. I agree that currently the parity is quite bad. However, this is likely the last year to be the case. Either way, dominance is enjoyable in its own right. 

People love college football and before the season Alabama or Clemson are borderline guaranteed to win. 

R u srs?  Totally different games.

Football physicality requires one game winner takes all.  Durability higher in other sports... either way you like, it is what it is..  parity sucks in nba with diva super teams, nba has been s--- lately, nfl on way better track.  You do you though..

1 minute ago, Ffguy0087 said:

What are you gonna do tho? I've toyed with the idea of making the TE spot a TE/WR spot but then I feel like that's a disservice to the guys who are willing to draft a TE early.

my league have talked about creating a TE/WR spot.  We're planning on voting on it soon.

49 minutes ago, HTXMade said:

my league have talked about creating a TE/WR spot.  We're planning on voting on it soon.

You should keep your TE slot.  It adds another dimension to your league.  If you want one of the elite guys you can draft one early, or you can gamble on a guy you like later to break out, or you can stream scrubs and go better at other positions.  TE/WR slot neuters the position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

Not to mention you could literally start the season 0-30 and still scrape your way back into the playoff picture bc the season doesnt really begin til after the all star break.

First two months of games literally mean nothing. Hell the first 3 quarters of a basketball game almost mean nothing in NBA where a 12 pt lead evaporates in 2 min or less.

What? First off, no you can’t start 0-30 and make the playoffs. At least not even remotely realistically. It’s equivalent to saying you can start 0-7 and make playoffs in the NFL thus the start of the season is pointless. Also, the difference between making and missing the playoffs was within one game in both the western and eastern conference. Obviously every single game doesn’t matter as much as they play over 5 times as much games as the NFL but acting like the start of the season is irrelevant is ridiculous.

Your second point is just as silly. Yes, teams blow double digit leads. Just like NFL teams blow double digit leads. Just this week Jets blew a double digit lead as did the Eagles (before recovering). 

Of course not many people here will agree with me as this is a football forum but this argument is just ridiculous. Sure, parity is an argument but it’s starting to balance out. It still doesn’t change the fact that the NBA is growing three times as fast as the NFL. 

2 hours ago, HTM said:

Unless a rash of injuries occur there is literally 0 doubt GSW will win. The NBA was much better 7-8 years ago when at least 4-5 teams could win. 

Supreme dominance is not fun. I really enjoy the NBA but won’t watch now because the dominance of the Warriors has sucked the fun out.

0 doubt yet Rockets were a quarter away and would be in the finals last year and not the Warriors if not for a massive collapse. I get a feeling most people here don’t watch basketball much. 

30 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

0 doubt yet Rockets were a quarter away and would be in the finals last year and not the Warriors if not for a massive collapse. I get a feeling most people here don’t watch basketball much. 

Im talking about this year. Rockets declined and GSW added Boogie. There is 0 doubt.

Last year the Rockets put up a noble effort but they were too vulnerable to a CP3 injury and to no ones surprise CP3 came up lame in the biggest moment. 

Maybe you think its entertaining watching 4-0 and 4-1 NBA finals the last two years or watching GSW go 16-1 in the 2017 playoffs and only play one competitive series in 2018 but some of us like actual competition. This overwhelming super team stuff is garbage. 

KD going to GSW and joining the core of a 73 win team was a frigging joke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OmegaRed88 said:

You should keep your TE slot.  It adds another dimension to your league.  If you want one of the elite guys you can draft one early, or you can gamble on a guy you like later to break out, or you can stream scrubs and go better at other positions.  TE/WR slot neuters the position.

Agree 100%. In my main league we have ever evolving experiments and settings; this year it was a TE/WR (besides a true TE and a WR position). 

Nobody played a TE in the TE/WR spot. To do that, you'd need to get double points from TEs or something. Most TEs outside the top-5 are outscored by even mediocre WRs.

Unless of course you manage to snag Jaylen Samuels in Yahoo :)

I like keeping the TE spot madatory.  This was a down year for TEs, beyond the elite few.  Makes for more interesting roster strategies. Do you pay a high draft pick or dollar amount for a top TE or wait and gamble.  Next year I could see the position rebound. Ertz, Kittle, Kelce should stay elite.  Ebron, Engram, Cook should be serviceable.  Brate and or Howard in TB.  

2 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

I like keeping the TE spot madatory.  This was a down year for TEs, beyond the elite few.  Makes for more interesting roster strategies. Do you pay a high draft pick or dollar amount for a top TE or wait and gamble.  Next year I could see the position rebound. Ertz, Kittle, Kelce should stay elite.  Ebron, Engram, Cook should be serviceable.  Brate and or Howard in TB.  

Hunter Henry 👏

Lost both finals.

My money 💰 league lost by .87. All I needed was 2 freaking points from the Denver D. Got 1. 

Free league best team assembled lost by 6 points. 

On 12/24/2018 at 8:20 AM, shakestreet said:

The craziness of fantasy. Tale of two teams. The story. 

Team A . 10 team 9-5 record. 3rd seed. My team was 8th in scoring. Lucky?

In my semifinal matchup my team would have lost if I played the #1 & 4 seeds. 

Up by 30 at around 6:30 after the 4 o’clock & Sunday night games I am down by 2 points. 

I have Denver D opponent has nobody. 

Team B. 12 team 12-1 record. Scored the most points by over 350+. 

Championship game down by 10+ ... 

I have Lindsey opponent has Cook 

The NBA is crap 

• Like 1

On 2018. 12. 17. at 12:04 AM, phegotgame14 said:

Who did you draft? those guys were all WW pickups

drafted absolute beasts, since league wasnt pro.

Gurley, Freeman, AJ, C.Kupp, Lockett, freeman, burton, amari cooper.

(wouldnt say amari cooper or a.jones were ww pickups

12 hours ago, HTM said:

Im talking about this year. Rockets declined and GSW added Boogie. There is 0 doubt.

Last year the Rockets put up a noble effort but they were too vulnerable to a CP3 injury and to no ones surprise CP3 came up lame in the biggest moment. 

Maybe you think its entertaining watching 4-0 and 4-1 NBA finals the last two years or watching GSW go 16-1 in the 2017 playoffs and only play one competitive series in 2018 but some of us like actual competition. This overwhelming super team stuff is garbage. 

KD going to GSW and joining the core of a 73 win team was a frigging joke. 

I agree! 

What the Warriors did before Durant was impressive. Now it's just expected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Yes, Hunter Henry as well.  Delanie Walker should return and he's usually OK.  Ian Thomas in Carolina showed some promise. 

Delanie Walker will be 35 next year. Unless something drastic changes, he'll also be playing in a horrid offense with an average at best QB.

I drafted Walker this year, but i'll be steering well clear, there'll be plenty of better options. If Olsen doesn't return, Ian Thomas could be an awesome draft.

• Like 1

I've always lived on the notion of "spend quick and spend early" when it comes to my leagues FAAB.

I had won 2 out of my league's past 3 years using this strategy, spending my FAAB very early in the season, and just winging it near the end..What I mean by this, (to give context), is I find that I have usually spent around $70-80 of my FAAB by Week 6-7 of the season..Leaving around $25 of my remaining FAAB for the last 6-8 weeks of the season. Doing this (in those 2 championship seasons) netted me players like Devonta Freeman (in 15') and Jordan Howard and Ty Montgomery (in 16')..It's always worked to my advantage....I did the same in 2017 (last season), and got Kamara...but then half of my team got injured and I ended up missing the playoffs by 1 game.

This strategy has always worked for me....until this year.

This year, I was ABSOLUTELY screwed due to me playing this way...By the end of Week 3, I had already spent $80 of my $100 FAAB....Technically BYE weeks really hadn't even kicked in yet.....

I think what hurt the most was after looking back, out of the $100 of my FAAB I spent for the season, only $22 of it was worth it....the others were COMPLETE misses on players....

Long story short...I think I'm going to take the offseason to think about all of this and really dissect how much I should be spending on a weekly/monthly basis...

This year, there seemed to be injuries GALORE, and even though I made it to the playoffs, other teams had players like Gus Edwards, Jamaal Williams, CJ Anderson, J. Samuels, and Damien Williams....And those names KILLED me in the playoffs because I had $0 remaining FAAB by the time the playoffs started.

Sucks making it to a championship game, and seeing Jamaal Williams, CJ Anderson and Damien Williams going against you and all of them putting up 20.00 Points.

Edited by CORTEz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CORTEz said:

I've always lived on the notion of "spend quick and spend early" when it comes to my leagues FAAB.

I had won 2 out of my league's past 3 years using this strategy, spending my FAAB very early in the season, and just winging it near the end..What I mean by this, (to give context), is I find that I have usually spent around $70-80 of my FAAB by Week 6-7 of the season..Leaving around $25 of my remaining FAAB for the last 6-8 weeks of the season. Doing this (in those 2 championship seasons) netted me players like Devonta Freeman (in 15') and Jordan Howard and Ty Montgomery (in 16')..It's always worked to my advantage....I did the same in 2017 (last season), and got Kamara...but then half of my team got injured and I ended up missing the playoffs by 1 game.

This strategy has always worked for me....until this year.

This year, I was ABSOLUTELY screwed due to me playing this way...By the end of Week 3, I had already spent $80 of my $100 FAAB....Technically BYE weeks really hadn't even kicked in yet.....

I think what hurt the most was after looking back, out of the $100 of my FAAB I spent for the season, only $22 of it was worth it....the others were COMPLETE misses on players....

Long story short...I think I'm going to take the offseason to think about all of this and really dissect how much I should be spending on a weekly/monthly basis...

This year, there seemed to be injuries GALORE, and even though I made it to the playoffs, other teams had players like Gus Edwards, Jamaal Williams, CJ Anderson, J. Samuels, and Damien Williams....And those names KILLED me in the playoffs because I had $0 remaining FAAB by the time the playoffs started.

Sucks making it to a championship game, and seeing Jamaal Williams, CJ Anderson and Damien Williams going against you and all of them putting up 20.00 Points.

I still think this is the way to go. I've had several years where I held onto my FAAB and nothing great emerged. I'd prefer to speculate early in a situation where I may get a gem for all or most of the season rather than someone who can help me for two or three games. I tend to overpay but also get my guy.  I also start to pick up players who could be fantasy relevant in the event of an injury to a starter on the cheap before it happens. Basically, if I have a roster spot I'll pick up a quality back up and hold as long as I can. We saw the benefits of how that can work out this year.

my dynasty has 5 ir spots 

this year it consisted of 

aj green 

d freeman

a jones 

d guice 

h henry 

hopefully ill get to see them on the field at the same time next year (but heard some bad infection news on guice so ill have to wait and see on that)