NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2018 Vent & Rant Thread

Okay. So, I'm 2-3 in a 10-team standard league. Every one of my games has been decided by five points or less. Four of my top six draft picks were Bell (1), Fournette (2), Hilton (4) and Cooks (6). Two are definitely out this week, and two are probably out. With Golladay on bye, I'm looking at Mahomes, Mixon, Chris Carson, Lockett, hamstring-limited Fuller, Zach Ertz and TJ Yeldon in flex as my starting lineup this week for a must-win game. It's week 6!! Can't pick up anyone else like Robby Anderson, Geronimo Allison, Taylor Gabriel, Demaryius Thomas, etc. unless I drop or trade someone (my other bench spot is Russell Wilson, who I really don't want to drop because he's won me money the last two seasons and I need a QB1-level backup if Mahomes misses time with this roster). This season is BRUTAL injury-wise. It's taking so much time to manage this team.

14 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I'm married with kids. That's one reason why I don't play money leagues :lol:. I'm also a Browns fan, and 0-5 in my 20-teamer as illustrated above. You have to keep those emotions bottled up. That's one advantage of generally finding out how you did late on Sunday night - the kids have just gone to bed so I don't accidentally inflict my depression on them. I no longer have a dog to kick either, so this is why I am in this thread... 

I'm in multiple leagues and with Wife and kids and it was making Sundays an issue for me. Last year I came up with a new plan and purposely do not look at who my opponents start each week and after 1pm on Sunday I do not check any of the websites until Monday morning at work(sometimes late Sunday night). It has help keep my Sundays with the family care free. I used to check the scores constantly as most do and I was a distracted mess. Since I've stopped checking it, Sundays have been much more relaxing since I don't worry about it until the next day. Because I do not know who my opponents have playing each week seeing the stat lines of players during game do not really affect me one way or the other. ---disclaimer--I'm in leagues that all lock at 1pm on Sunday so I cannot add/drop move starters after that time so after 1 there is nothing I can do anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ajs723 said:

I've completely come around to the position that we should eliminate kickers and defenses from fantasy.

Many have already explained the reasons why kickers should be gone, but defenses are just as bad. It's completely unpredictable, and the points don't reward good play, they reward fluke plays. Defense forces a quick e and out. No points for that. Goal line stand, no points for that. Blow up a running back in the backfield, nothing. Ball gets batted in the air for an easy pick 6, 8 points. 

I played the Niner defense yesterday. I get nothing even though they played great. They forced 8 punts. Rosen went 10/25 for 170 yards, and they held DJ to 3 yards per carry. But, they didn't get any turnovers and only one sack. They gave up one long fluke TD, the Cards scored a defensive TD, and the defense set up two other short TDs. 

TLDR: Fantasy needs to ditch kickers and defenses. 

Ditch kickers and go IDP.  Why serious players still use snake drafts and team defenses is crazy to me. How we can take points from a Defense when that defensive team's QB throws a pick 6 makes zero sense. It's not normal to have a player/position gains/loses points when they are not even on the field. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

Ditch kickers and go IDP.  Why serious players still use snake drafts and team defenses is crazy to me. How we can take points from a Defense when that defensive team's QB throws a pick 6 makes zero sense. It's not normal to have a player/position gains/loses points when they are not even on the field. 

Pick sixes don't count against defenses nor do fumble sixes. This is my 4th year playing and I dont think they were ever credited against the defense, though the PAT will go against the defense.

I picked up Gr

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mason Crosby's missed FGs, if made, would have been my winning points.  

Yeah, almost burned me. I picked up Greg The Leg as insurance. Hopefully he's ready to return. The only reason he isn't cut is because of his history. If next game is the same it may spell the end for him with GB.

1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

Pick sixes don't count against defenses nor do fumble sixes. This is my 4th year playing and I dont think they were ever credited against the defense, though the PAT will go against the defense.

They do on some platforms.  Yahoo they don't.  CBS they do.  Makes no sense why CBS would have it that way.

3 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

The PAT is at least against the special teams. Most leagues I have been in the total score of the opponent was counted against the team D. You may just have much better scoring set ups for D then I have had in the past. 

EDIT--I've never used yahoo so that may be part of it. 

Edited by Duckbutter

That late Steelers defensive TD was a big swing.  I had Matt Ryan ready to rack up some serious garbage time love, and my opponent foolishly (or so I thought!) had the Steelers D.

10 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Yes they do. At least, on my MFL league it says 28 PA for the Niners D. They had a defensive TD. 

Guy loses Eifert, is starting Gates at TE.  I offer him Jordan Reed for Dede Westrbook.  Guy comes back offering me Crowell for Hopkins in a PPR league.  Then says he will settle for Thielen.  Then sends a second offer of Westbrook+Crowell for Hopkins+Thielen.  Says it helps us both.  :huh:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

Guy loses Eifert, is starting Gates at TE.  I offer him Jordan Reed for Dede Westrbook.  Guy comes back offering me Crowell for Hopkins in a PPR league.  Then says he will settle for Thielen.  Then sends a second offer of Westbrook+Crowell for Hopkins+Thielen.  Says it helps us both.  :huh:

Wow, that Reed offer was actually pretty good. What an idiot that guy.

Edited by FitzMagic

5 minutes ago, Sternes said:

That guy shouldn't be playing fantasy football, he should be wearing a helmet to protect himself from himself. 

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

As others have said pick-sixes usually don't count against a fantasy D/ST.  However, I've always found it really frustrating when the defender is tackled at like the 1 yard line after an INT, because the TD or field goal that almost always follows within the next few plays does count against your defense.  It's not their fault!

12 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Fuller was my last healthy WR that was just a set it and forget it player. Tonight was a disaster. 

For me too. I needed 4.70 and Fuller had 2 for 15 yards for 2.50. Please don't ask me about Ricky Seals-Jones because Fuller had a huge night in comparison. 

32 minutes ago, Sternes said:

This is the kind of crap that makes me not want to play. Everyone wants a 300% return in any trade, or they won't consider making a move. I end up overpaying frequently because trades are a fun part of fantasy. It would be nice if people were reasonable.

Have to get this off my chest. 

My Team:

Phillip Rivers

CMC

Hyde

Miller

Aaron Jones

ROJO

Morris

OBJ

Baldwin

KeKe

Enunwa

M.Williams

Kittle

Winston.

I score a consistent 96 points a week, but I'm 1-4.  I also drafted Hogan who I dropped.  I'm pretty sure I drafted an all bust team and I'm done.  This year has been frustrating on Sooooo many levels.

Thanks for listening.  /Rant

Edited by ThePerfectBeard

2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Yes they do. At least, on my MFL league it says 28 PA for the Niners D. They had a defensive TD. 

They dont on yahoo so I guess I assumed any other competent provider would be the same. Pretty scrub if they do count against the defense

2 hours ago, Duckbutter said:

I'm in multiple leagues and with Wife and kids and it was making Sundays an issue for me. Last year I came up with a new plan and purposely do not look at who my opponents start each week and after 1pm on Sunday I do not check any of the websites until Monday morning at work(sometimes late Sunday night). It has help keep my Sundays with the family care free. I used to check the scores constantly as most do and I was a distracted mess. Since I've stopped checking it, Sundays have been much more relaxing since I don't worry about it until the next day. Because I do not know who my opponents have playing each week seeing the stat lines of players during game do not really affect me one way or the other. ---disclaimer--I'm in leagues that all lock at 1pm on Sunday so I cannot add/drop move starters after that time so after 1 there is nothing I can do anyway. 

I might have to adopt this strategy.  In a longstanding league and I'm hyper competitive.  But now married with kids, especially as the kids get older and have things to do on Sundays, I can't sit in front of the couch all day in my pajamas like I used to.  And much as I say fantasy football is just a game and doesn't affect me, I know that if I'm a little gloomy or short tempered on Sundays afternoons and evening, it's because my team sucked that day.  Got to remember it's just a game and there are certainly a lot more real world problems that people deal with than whether or not their fantasy football team is dumpster fire.

8 hours ago, ajs723 said:

This is the kind of crap that makes me not want to play. Everyone wants a 300% return in any trade, or they won't consider making a move. I end up overpaying frequently because trades are a fun part of fantasy. It would be nice if people were reasonable.

Our league makes loads of trades. It helps that there are 20 of us, plus short benches, so bye weeks are a serious problem and injuries cause chaos.

Everybody overvalues their players, but there are usually trades to be made if you work at it. You just have to accept that certain owners are going to chance it with s---y trades. The things that really annoy me are trade offers where they haven't even looked at your team to see what you need, or trade offers where they are clearly about to drop some guy and chancing their arm. It's just wasting my time. I can cope with somebody overvaluing their players, but if they offer you, say, Kenyan Drake as part of a deal, and you tell them you're not interested in him, then they send another trade offer with him still in it. Listen to me FFS.

9 hours ago, Duckbutter said:

Yeah, I've half-heartedly tried that, but I really struggle to avoid checking my score. Part of the fun in our league is the banter during the games, and I always get sucked in. The worst thing is that every single time I actually watch my score it goes backwards while the oppo racks up the points.