NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2018 Vent & Rant Thread

12 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Victory Points Format. (MyFantasyLeague)

Top 4 point scorers gets 2 points. Next 4 gets 1 point. Bottom 4 gets 0 points.

End of season tie breaker could be total points. You can actually adjust it all to your liking.

I like that as well

5 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

that's the weakest form of reasoning I've seen in a while LOL

LOLZ yeah because it shoots holes in your dumb arse posit .... btw, junior, i said extrapolate it over a 13 game sched - i've been playing this gig for a very long time, and i've seen the scenario i laid out happen much more than the one you gave LOL LOL LOLZ 

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

LOLZ yeah because it shoots holes in your dumb arse posit .... btw, junior, i said extrapolate it over a 13 game sched - i've been playing this gig for a very long time, and i've seen the scenario i laid out happen much more than the one you gave LOL LOL LOLZ 

Ahhh my favorite, a blue belt in the art of keyboard <_< 

ok sir, please do me the courtesy of explaining how one might not end up with a high level of consistency over 13 games when comparing total score to H2H. I’ll wait 

anyone want to take the under on 1 thoughtful/informative response forthcoming?

2 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Ahhh my favorite, a blue belt in the art of keyboard <_< 

ok sir, please do me the courtesy of explaining how one might not end up with a high level of consistency over 13 games when comparing total score to H2H. I’ll wait 

team can easily have 3 or 4 blowup weeks, totally skewing the final total ... whereas another can be steady Eddie the whole way and lag behind. 

are you really that f'n dense?

13 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

team can easily have 3 or 4 blowup weeks, totally skewing the final total ... whereas another can be steady Eddie the whole way and lag behind. 

Sighhh, This is like going back and forth with the clothes hanging in my wife’s closet. The idea of statistical, mathematical consistency is accepting that the mean will include baked in variance to account for all three of the floor, ceiling and outlier data.  I’m not in any way proposing whoever remains the closest to the mean data the longest make the playoffs. This way very well be above your intellectual pay grade so I’ll go ahead and exit this by saying simply H2H allows for THE greatest amount of disparity between chance and skill when compared to ANY other format. Kbye 

Edited by Joe Odam
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Sighhh, This is like going back and forth with the clothes hanging in my wife’s closet. The idea of statistical, mathematical consistency is accepting that the mean will include baked in variance to account for all three of the floor, ceiling and outlier data.  I’m not in any way proposing whoever remains the closest to the mean data the longest make the playoffs. This way very well be above your intellectual pay grade so I’ll go ahead and exit this by saying simply H2H allows for THE greatest amount of disparity between chance and skill when compared to ANY other format. Kbye 

THANK YOU MR. SCIENCE!!1!1!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Eli manning was a good example. He would have 30 point games or 5 and end of the season the stats would look good but you'd have all these duds screwing you over

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Why do people still play H2H when it clearly does not advance the BEST and most consistent teams into the playoffs? Every year I see people complaining about having the highest scoring teams and missing the playoffs due to “bad luck”. If you’re spending money in these leagues why would you put yourself in a position to allow luck to trump skill? Switch your league to total points scored and never look back. Then you play against everyone....every week. Top 4 or 6 scoring teams after week 13 make it. The rest, have no one or nothing to blame (unless injury is the cause) but themselves 

My league has started to factor points into it.  6 playoff spots, 2 are based on points.  Also the two BYE 1-2 seed are best record and the highest point total.  Our league has been around 8 years, the "league champion" and total points winner have been one and the same 5 of the 8 years.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Why do people still play H2H when it clearly does not advance the BEST and most consistent teams into the playoffs? 

Because preferences and opinions vary, and some people find it more enjoyable nonetheless.

If your point is that people who are complaining about H2H screwing them over year after year are on shaky ground for their complaints...I totally agree. :) At the same time--I enjoy H2H a lot, don't enjoy total points as much, and I still reserve the right to vent at those times when I get screwed because of it. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy it more over all.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

Because preferences and opinions vary, and some people find it more enjoyable nonetheless.

If your point is that people who are complaining about H2H screwing them over year after year are on shaky ground for their complaints...I totally agree. :) At the same time--I enjoy H2H a lot, don't enjoy total points as much, and I still reserve the right to vent at those times when I get screwed because of it. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy it more over all.

Whats interesting is that I think originally back pre-internet fantasy football sites, many of the leagues were total points.  I know the first league I ever participated in, in the early 90's, it was total points.  1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D/ST - your bench essentially had the same so another QB, 2 more RB's, etc.  It was essentially a TD only league with 3 point bonus for Rushing Receiving 100 yards and passing 300 yards.  There were no waivers, we had a "re-draft' every 3 or 4 weeks where we met back at the draft site and basically went in reverse order of standings, each round you got 1 move.  

BULL EFFIN SHAT MAN

12 TEAM PPR

Cam

Kamara

Sony Michel

Mack

Keenan Allen

Edelman

Landry

Gronk

Greg the Leg

2nd highest scorer in the league, yet I won't make playoffs as my teamh as lost 4 games in a row and I am now in 7th place...

Last week game I lost by 4pts because the guy had Amari Cooper who had 48pts and someone else that had 40pts

I have an outside chance of making it if the guy in 6th place loses this week

The guy in 6th place is playing against the 2nd ranked team this week

The guy that is the 2nd ranked team has Melvin Gordon (OUT) and Kareem Hunt (ABOUT TO GO TO PRISON)

Can my luck get any better?!?!?!

Spencer Ware is still on the Wire...i'm tempted to just live him on the wire in hopes of the 2nd place guy grabs him before anyone else since my only hope is if 2nd guys beats the 6th place guy

I hate fantasy

Edited by Woonga24

6 hours ago, parrothead said:

Whats interesting is that I think originally back pre-internet fantasy football sites, many of the leagues were total points.  I know the first league I ever participated in, in the early 90's, it was total points.  1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D/ST - your bench essentially had the same so another QB, 2 more RB's, etc.  It was essentially a TD only league with 3 point bonus for Rushing Receiving 100 yards and passing 300 yards.  There were no waivers, we had a "re-draft' every 3 or 4 weeks where we met back at the draft site and basically went in reverse order of standings, each round you got 1 move.  

My good friend back in HS in the late 80s ran a total points TD only league. Kept it all in a spiral notebook, watched Sportscenter each night to see who scored. Super low tech, and fun. But I just prefer the smack talk and tension of H2H, even though the 'best' team doesn't always win. I'm okay with that. 

My waiver wire flyer hit big, but now I have no idea who to start and who to bench.

Even the best possible luck causes angst when it comes to fantasy football.

Sweet Jesu just a few more weeks and it will be over.

15 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Fantasy football is far better than any other fantasy sport.  And I am convinced it is so because of the intensity packed into a weekly head-to-head matchup.  Wins and losses mirror the results of real teams, who also can win and lose individual games somewhat flukily.

But over time, the best teams win the most irl and in fantasy.  Looking at my league this year, the top four scoring teams are all in the top 6 in terms of W-L record.