NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronny Mauricio -- SS Mets

Casey (Morgantown): 

• One of the neat parts of July baseball is all the J2 players for the previous season getting started. Outside of Wander Franco who has really impressed early? Any likely top 100 BA guys for 2019 from this group?

Kyle Glaser: Ronny Mauricio with the Mets has done some really good things. Whether he's Top 100 in 2019 that may be a little premature, but definitely keep an eye o

----

I've had my eye on this guy for a while.  He's a whiles away, but in deep dynastys he's a guy to monitor or pick up if other short season guys are owned. BA hyped him up when the year started, saying he could potentially be a Tatis type breakout prospect. He's showing that right now.  For current rankings purpose, he's  probably around 150 for me.  At the very least I think this is a guy who will gain trade value and you can flip.

He hasnt walked a ton yet, but the average is above 300  and slugging almost 550. Potential MI power bat here.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Andrew (Maryland): 

• What type of upside does Ronny Mauricio have? I know you were really intrigued/high on him at the beginning of the year.

Ben Badler: Upside is similar to what we’re seeing now from Fernando Tatis Jr.

Whoa. 

Him, Wander and Elehuris make for some very tantalizing position players in the low minors.

3 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

Whoa. 

Him, Wander and Elehuris make for some very tantalizing position players in the low minors.

And I own 3 in my deep dynasty!  I'd have Wander much much higher than the other two.  Marucio has the more to prove than Elehruis, but also has more position since he's more likely to play a key position. 

Mauricio has a lot of projection left and he's currently on striking out 15% as a 17 year old

Love the early rseults and frame. 6'3 with tons of room to add good weight. Swings from both sides which you love to see in today's shift burdened game.

This is one to watch. Potential for a premium talent. Badler name dropping Tatito is the beginning of the hype train. Hop aboard now.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

He's been slumping overall. but not by striking out much, still got this chat blurb yesterday

Brett (Miami): 

• Hey thanks for doing a chat. Who are some players outside the top 100 right now that you could see making big jumps in ranking next year? Do we start to see more of the 2017 IFAs climbing the ranks?

Kyle Glaser: Ronny Mauricio with the Mets fits the bill on both accounts. Naturally there are some strides to be made, but the pedigree and tools are there and he's shown a lot of flashes here in his first year stateside

• Like 1
Baseball America above and now fangraphs

Frank
1:02
You mentioned Maurico on the mets, what's his upside?

Kiley McDaniel
1:03
Really high, so early that we don't really know yet, but definitely on a top 50 overall prospect trajectory. Chance for above average offense and average D at SS
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 3/23/2019 at 1:12 PM, Coach George said:

I couldn’t help but notice that Mauricio started Friday and Saturday with the big league Mets in ST games. That says a lot about how they view the 17 year old. 

Not only did he start but for a 17 year old he handled himself admirably.

John Gant fed him a steady diet of change ups his first time up.   Kid adjusted and singled up the middle.

Later with a runner on 3rd and less than two outs he had a professional at bat which resulted in a sac fly.

All at the age of 17.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, 12to6 said:

His line so far is: .324/.367/.745 OPS. Not much power at all. Only 2 doubles, 1 triple, no homers. 19:4 K:BB. 2SB-3CS. Lots of singles, though!

He's young and one of the youngest players in his league. Patience. The power will come. You better jump on him now if he's available.

3 hours ago, Team Dynasty said:

He's young and one of the youngest players in his league. Patience. The power will come. You better jump on him now if he's available.

He’s already on my team. Not knocking him at all, just surprised at the lack of power so far. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw him in person last night and came away impressed. Put on a defensive clinic. A true natural at SS. Boy does he have A LOT of room to add weight and strength. I think the framework is here for a future all around stud, just needs to fill out and get more disciplined. Much different build and type of player but reminds me of Gleyber Torres, Ozzie Albies when they were super young at A ball. Some warts in their game but you can just tell the natural ability and feel for the game is there. 

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

Slashing 368/400/632 through 9 games in June, bringing his season line to 295/339/401.

He’s been hitting for empty average most of the year, which is fine given his age/level, but now he’s starting to show some doubles power. And of course theres’s so much room to grow.

I’m sure he’s owned in most dynasties already but in shallower ones this may be last call to get in before his stock really rises.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Slashing 368/400/632 through 9 games in June, bringing his season line to 295/339/401.

He’s been hitting for empty average most of the year, which is fine given his age/level, but now he’s starting to show some doubles power. And of course theres’s so much room to grow.

I’m sure he’s owned in most dynasties already but in shallower ones this may be last call to get in before his stock really rises.

Agreed.

I expect him to be on tomorrow's BA Hot Sheet.  I also expect him to be a top 50 guy when midseason updates are done. 

• 3 weeks later...

David Lee of Baseball Prospectus scouted him a few weeks ago. Looking good so far.

Tool Future Grade Report
Hit 60 Shows an advanced feel for the barrel. Loose stroke generates easy above-average bat speed that cranks up to plus. Consistent actions at the plate. Can settle for line-drive plane and cut himself off at times, but hands are loose and he has knack for adjustments. Attributes are here for plus hit tool, but his eye is overly aggressive at times and his length means constant challenges inside.
Power 60 Power is mostly projection right now. Considerable room to grow into impact strength. Combine projection with above-average to plus bat speed and adjusted loft to produce future plus power.
Baserunning/Speed 40 Below-average runner down the line. Closer to an average runner when he hits second gear with long strides. Will settle and remain a below-average runner despite good athleticism.
Glove 50 Enough glove for any infield position. Smooth actions and soft hands at shortstop. Occasional lapse chalked up to youth. Future limited range holds him back to average shortstop potential, but sticking is a real possibility. This grade could bump a tick with a move to third.
Arm 60 Easy plus arm. Quick, compact release with easy plus carry and good accuracy. His arm will play anywhere.
Overall

Mauricio’s overall grade reaches 60 because of the likelihood he makes an impact in the major leagues, no matter the position. There’s real-deal, first-division-regular ability here. He shows an advanced feel for the bat beyond his years and has the athleticism and aptitude to adjust for increased power. The bat profiles as a masher that will play at any position, with an aggressive eye being the one knock. He shows the feel and actions to stick at shortstop, but his filled-out frame will ultimately make that decision. The ability to stay at short would be an org’s dream considering the bat’s potential, but a move to third would give an org a corner masher with at least an above-average glove and plus arm.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Mets INF prospect Ronny Mauricio went 3-for-5 with a homer and two runs scored on Sunday for High-A Brooklyn.

It’s already the fourth homer for Mauricio; an impressive total when you consider he’s played in just nine games. The top prospect in the Mets’ system has slashed a strong .341/.386/.732 in 44 plate appearances, and shown off his power from both sides of the plate. Mauricio isn’t going to turn 21 until next April, but it’s looking more and more likely that we’ll see him playing in Double-A before the end of 2021. That gives him a chance of reaching the majors in 2022, and his offensive arsenal will make him a fantasy prospect fantasy managers will want to target next year.

Love him - wish he was not blocked by Lindor - seems like he could be a valuable trade piece or he is moving positions.........

50 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

Love him - wish he was not blocked by Lindor - seems like he could be a valuable trade piece or he is moving positions.........

I've seen a lot of suggestions he ends up at 3B. The Mets wouldn't part with him in the Lindor deal so it seems unlikely he gets dealt.

3 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

I've seen a lot of suggestions he ends up at 3B. The Mets wouldn't part with him in the Lindor deal so it seems unlikely he gets dealt.

Mets also have Baty at 3B. I’ve seen the talks of Mauricio ending up at 3rd but I think they might try him at second if they really like Baty. 

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

Mets also have Baty at 3B. I’ve seen the talks of Mauricio ending up at 3rd but I think they might try him at second if they really like Baty. 

The only time I worry about positions is when we are talking about a hitter that projects as a 1B/DH because of a lack of defence. I'm not worried about the mets finding a spot for Mauricio when the time comes. When he is knocking on the door, they will figure out if Lindor should be moved from SS to somewhere else, or if Mauricio is the one to be moved. He will get time at 2B, 3B and maybe even OF to get his bat in the lineup.

Guys like Dom Smith are the issue. They have nowhere to play his glove everyday and therefore struggle to get him everyday ABs. When the universal DH comes, that will change. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not quite sure how to rate Mauricio right now. On one hand, the power he was projected to grow into is showing up, with 8 HR in 190 PA. He just turned 20 in April and is still very young for High-A.

On the other hand, he's slashing .228/.268/.428 with a 4.7 BB% and 26.8 K%. Lots of work to do on the plate discipline.

Would be a bummer if the hand injury is anything serious because he seems like a very talented young player that just needs reps more than anything.