Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jarrett Allen 2018-19 Season Outlook


Stefan
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 31/7/2018 at 12:55 AM, rob0403 said:

I was thinking of Turner but Turner should be hitting some threes unlike Allen though.

 

 

Well he was 5-15 his rookie year from 3, Turner was 3-14. Not saying they ll follow same trajectory on that as Turner was hitting those midrange shots with ease even his rookie year, but he has shown willingness to shoot them from the corner so maybe there is something to watch there as well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, papocrain said:

Picked Allen over Myles Turner. I hope I'm right on this one.

damnnn. i think myles floor is closer to Allen's ceiling this season. to me this is a classic mistake of passing on someone on a down year and falling too heavy into the roto/BBM hype on one of their favorite "sleepers"

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not that bad to pick Allen over Turner and that 3 that Turner gives you cannot really make a dif. You can easily cover it with some specialist. I think from your C it's better to secure a strong fg% than sacrificing it for just one 3 per game. Rebounds probably Allen will get more and Myle's points are nothing great as well. As for blocks Allen seems to be on track for 2 per game with 24+ mins. Last 2 months of previous season according to BBM they had the same value. Not sure why Myles deserves more trust after his terrible season real life (which is even more important) and fantasy.

Edited by RipCity0
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

It's not that bad to pick Allen over Turner and that 3 that Turner gives you cannot really make a dif. You can easily cover it with some specialist. I think from your C it's better to secure a strong fg% than sacrificing it for just one 3 per game. Rebounds probably Allen will get more and Myle's points are nothing great as well. As for blocks Allen seems to be on track for 2 per game with 24+ mins. Last 2 months of previous season according to BBM they had the same value. Not sure why Myles deserves more trust after his terrible season real life (which is even more important) and fantasy.

But basically what you are saying is Allen has so much upside and Turner (going into 3rd year where a lot of guys take a big step) has none. Turner could have a massive year of he has worked on his faults this summer. His floor is probably top 60. But he could be top 20. Allen's floor is probably about 90ish as rotations could really go against him if he doesn't preform (Ed Davis is an underrated big and faried thrives in up Tempo systems)...upside of maybe top 30...

 

No doubt Allen could beat out Turner but Turner is the safer pick. I have him ranked higher but I definitely still like Allen

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

But basically what you are saying is Allen has so much upside and Turner (going into 3rd year where a lot of guys take a big step) has none. Turner could have a massive year of he has worked on his faults this summer. His floor is probably top 60. But he could be top 20. Allen's floor is probably about 90ish as rotations could really go against him if he doesn't preform (Ed Davis is an underrated big and faried thrives in up Tempo systems)...upside of maybe top 30...

 

No doubt Allen could beat out Turner but Turner is the safer pick. I have him ranked higher but I definitely still like Allen

 

yes Turner is safer since we can just assume worst case scenario is last season, but I don't get why getting Allen over him was "criticized". Yes you shouldn't always go for upside, but maybe the guy that said that already has many safe picks, I cannot tell him you fell into the upside trap without any context. The "no doubt that Allen has the chance to beat Turner" is enough to pick him over Turner in certain cases.

Edited by RipCity0
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RipCity0 said:

 

yes Turner is safer since we can just assume worst case scenario is last season, but I don't get why getting Allen over him was "criticized". Yes you shouldn't always go for upside, but maybe the guy that said that already has many safe picks, I cannot tell him you fell into the upside trap without any context. The "no doubt that Allen has the chance to beat Turner" is enough to pick him over Turner in certain cases.

Just people giving their opinions man... This "criticise" was just two people saying they don't agree and one giving a why (which I tend to agree with). It's that wrong? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jake the snake said:

Just people giving their opinions man... This "criticise" was just two people saying they don't agree and one giving a why (which I tend to agree with). It's that wrong? 

No not at all that's why i used "". It's not really criticism, but i also explained why picking Allen could be better. 

 

And you didn't really say Faried before, did you? I mean cmon... :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both Allen and Turner are solid picks, they both will give you solid blocks and percentages.  

I an not touching either one of them before 80th pick, but if I  they are both available on my turn I would prefer Allen.

He fits that Harris  profile (Garry, Tobias)  profile  of  awesome, underrated  fantasy players 

There were only 13 players last season  that satisfy this criteria: 

fg_pct >= 0.45 and  reb >=4 and ft_pct >=0.7  and blk >= 1.0 and tov <=2   and min >= 15.0  

Allen was on that list playing  only 20 min per game. 

Even with small increase in minutes to 25 per game he has a chance to be elite in  blocks  without hurting you anywhere.

 

image.png.6813590e2d7647c18d2c79b224405c63.png

first_name last_name min
Karl-Anthony Towns 35.6
LaMarcus Aldridge 33.4
Al Horford 31.6
Nikola Vucevic 29.5
Myles Turner 28.2
Serge Ibaka 27.5
Hassan Whiteside 25.3
John Collins 24.1
Pau Gasol 23.5
Brook Lopez 23.4
Kawhi Leonard 23.3
Jarrett Allen 20
Kyle O'Quinn 18

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had Turner on my team last season (he costed me a 2nd round pick in a 14 team league). I was kind of disappointed at him as i was expecting more from my 2nd round pick. I picked Alllen over him this season as I don't want to deal with his poor production anymore. 

Edited by papocrain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Allen, I had him last year and I managed to get him again this year but anyone who is taking him over Myles Turner clearly didn’t own Allen last year. There is no way you should be doing this imo, Turner has a MUCH safer guarantee for big minutes and production and is just the better player in general. Allen isn’t going to explode as much as you guys think (and we all hope). Atkinson doesn’t play his guys big minutes so far and after getting Ed Davis I can see this continuing for Allen, he isn’t going to be getting close to 30 minutes or anything. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you own Allen, Collins and another big such as AD, i think you're in a great shape in terms of big man production without sacrificing FT%. In my other league, I own these 3 plus Gobert (punt assist strat) and surrounded them with guys that could contribute in threes and steals such as KCP, Dunn and J. Isaac - though the latter 2 may not provide threes on a regular basis. Hopefully this strat will work. 

Edited by papocrain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, papocrain said:

If you own Allen, Collins and another big such as AD, i think you're in a great shape in terms of big man production without sacrificing FT%. In my other league, I own these 3 plus Gobert (punt assist strat) and surrounded them with guys that could contribute in threes and steals such as KCP, Dunn and J. Isaac - though the latter 2 may not provide threes on a regular basis. Hopefully this strat will work. 

In one of my leagues I own Allen Collins Jokic and aldridge. 

Allen I believe in a little more than Collins purely because Collins loves a foul and misses out on minutes because of it. I don't believe Allen was as bad. Plus he has every opportunity in the world this season with only ed Davis on the roster that could hurt him. And he isn't much to worry about 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Very real chance of only playing 25 mpg this season. That caps the upside of your 4th rounder. 

I think there is a very real chance he plays a lot more than 25 mins. The only person behind him on the depth chart is Kenneth Faried and we havent seen him play well since the 2014 USA team dominance with AD. IF Allen gets 30+ a night he has a good chance at most improved as he should be seeing averages around 14 with 60% fg and high 70s ft%, around 10 rebounds maybe a bit under, with 2+ blocks. easy top 40 value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...