NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarrett Allen 2018-19 Season Outlook

19 minutes ago, PaddyAustralia said:

I think there is a very real chance he plays a lot more than 25 mins. The only person behind him on the depth chart is Kenneth Faried and we havent seen him play well since the 2014 USA team dominance with AD. IF Allen gets 30+ a night he has a good chance at most improved as he should be seeing averages around 14 with 60% fg and high 70s ft%, around 10 rebounds maybe a bit under, with 2+ blocks. easy top 40 value.

And Ed Davis. He will play over faried surely 

• Like 3
  • Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My suspicion is that he will be decent but the hype on him is way overblown.  Mike Gallagher or other pundits will make a pick and a part of their job is to find hidden gems because if they just do th

damnnn. i think myles floor is closer to Allen's ceiling this season. to me this is a classic mistake of passing on someone on a down year and falling too heavy into the roto/BBM hype on one of their

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Nah Ed Davis will be back up power forward for RHJ, i think Allen has free reign this year, nets are not competing so they should give DRussel and Allen as many minutes as possible.

LOL Ed Davis will not be playing power forward :lol: Have you seen him play before? He cannot stretch the floor whatsoever and will get roasted on the perimiter defending opposing PF’s. His best attribute is his rebounding so he will be as close to the basket as possible, I’m a Portland fan I watched him play a lot believe me I know what I’m talking about. Its significantly more likely Allen is in a timeshare with Ed than Ed playing a single minute of PF this year. 

Edited by Boogie Buckets
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Boogie Buckets said:

LOL Ed Davis will not be playing power forward :lol: Have you seen him play before? He cannot stretch the floor whatsoever and will get roasted on the perimiter defending opposing PF’s. His best attribute is his rebounding so he will be as close to the basket as possible, I’m a Portland fan I watched him play a lot believe me I know what I’m talking about. Its significantly more likely Allen is in a timeshare with Ed than Ed playing a single minute of PF this year. 

Oh he is listed as a PF thats all, i just thought that the nets could do some mad twin tower lineups with Allen at 5 Ed at 4. And no i dont watch him play, i just assumed as he is listed at PF he would back up the PF for the nets. My mistake. The only reason i think Ed could play PF is cause Nets don't really have anyone else to play there, Jared Dudley maybe? Not sure.

• Like 1

With his performance last season, Jarrett deserves the starting role and should get his minutes. Not to mention that Nets doesn't have a solid C on their roster. I dunno about Ed Davis, but imo, he's going to be a backup and nothing more. Jarrett should have a lot of positives than negatives this year.

• Like 1

Everyone keeps repeating that they have no real reason not to play him, theres no real depth behind him etc.... Nobody is disagreeing with you. 

The fact is this is the Nets.. Kenny Atkinson does not play his guys over 30mpg and he has made this well known. RHJ who started and played 3 positions for this team didnt even see 30 minutes.Anyone reasonably expecting 30mpg from this guy you will be extremely disappointed and will get burned. You can say there is a lack of talent behind him and it does not matter, Atkinson has shown he does not care.

Last year Allen was extremely raw, and unpolished. If he couldnt hit free throws nobody on this forum would care about him as much. His game is fantasy friendly I get, but if you’re not paying attention to the Nets as an organization you will get burned. There are clear examples of why 25-28mpg is more reasonable. Yes the Nets should focus on development, they have nothing to lose. Clearly Atkinson believes he can help these guys develop without huge minutes. Whether you agree or disagree with his philosphy does not matter.

Edited by FantasyBallFan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FantasyBallFan said:

Everyone keeps repeating that they have no real reason not to play him, theres no real depth behind him etc.... Nobody is disagreeing with you. 

The fact is this is the Nets.. Kenny Atkinson does not play his guys over 30mpg and he has made this well known. RHJ who started and played 3 positions for this team didnt even see 30 minutes.Anyone reasonably expecting 30mpg from this guy you will be extremely disappointed and will get burned. You can say there is a lack of talent behind him and it does not matter, Atkinson has shown he does not care.

Last year Allen was extremely raw, and unpolished. If he couldnt hit free throws nobody on this forum would care about him as much. His game is fantasy friendly I get, but if you’re not paying attention to the Nets as an organization you will get burned. There are clear examples of why 25-28mpg is more reasonable. Yes the Nets should focus on development, they have nothing to lose. Clearly Atkinson believes he can help these guys develop without huge minutes. Whether you agree or disagree with his philosphy does not matter.

+1. then you see guys drafting allen 40ish in yahoo mockdrafts lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, hoopking said:

+1. then you see guys drafting allen 40ish in yahoo mockdrafts lol

I got him at 88 and think that getting him there is not too bad. But i think Allen and collins have been overhyped at the moment, lots of potential but not sure if it'll be this year they 'breakout'.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Oh he is listed as a PF thats all, i just thought that the nets could do some mad twin tower lineups with Allen at 5 Ed at 4. And no i dont watch him play, i just assumed as he is listed at PF he would back up the PF for the nets. My mistake. The only reason i think Ed could play PF is cause Nets don't really have anyone else to play there, Jared Dudley maybe? Not sure.

Ok makes more sense now. Yeah Davis is not a 4 and I’d be very very surprised to see him play there at all, in Portland he would play C even if the PF playing alongside him was taller (Collins). I watched a lot of the Nets last year as well as I owned Dinwiddie, RHJ and Allen, and I think most of the minutes at the 4 will be allocated between RHJ, Demarre Carroll (these were the main two guys at the 4 last year) and maybe some Dudley/Faried. 

• Like 2

Since the comparison was with Turner I don't see how that guy's mins are safer with Sabonis and KOQ playing the position. I expect Allen to be at around 25-27 mins, Turner a couple more. If that's the case I think Allen can finish higher at the rankings.

6 hours ago, PaddyAustralia said:

I got him at 88 and think that getting him there is not too bad. But i think Allen and collins have been overhyped at the moment, lots of potential but not sure if it'll be this year they 'breakout'.

Although I wasn't targeting him, I got him for $3 in an auction and saw no real risk at that point. At 88, I think it's a risk worth taking if you were in need of a big.

At 88, Allen can play only 25mpg and you may still be able to get some value there. 

• Like 2

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm going to let someone else draft him..For the position he's getting drafted at (a lot of top 50), I don't think he's worth it/won't match it. His %'s are great for a big and obviously the blocks are key. I just think you're going to see a lot of 7/7/1 games

• Like 1

If you're taking Allen I think you're drafting him for big weeks where he can beast out with 15 blocks and win you blocks by himself (not really by himself, but kind of)...and you take the inconsistencies and poor stat lines along with it.  He's one of the only players in the league that's really capable of doing it, and he was projected outside the top 50 (apparently not any more).  It would be kind of like taking a shot on Whiteside or Gobert on their first breakout year.   In that regard he's very valuable in h2h and although its early I wouldn't blame someone for taking him top 50. 

• Like 1

On a side note i think it might be possible to make up steals and blocks in the mid rounds with players like Teague, Ro-Co, Rubio, Dejounte, Dunn, Allen, Adams, Whiteside, Prince, Mirotic, Kyle Anderson, and a little bit later Isaac and Thad Young.  You could also gamble a on the upside of a Siakam, or Josh Jackson, or nilikina, taking the next step defensively.  

2 hours ago, JLoson0550 said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm going to let someone else draft him..For the position he's getting drafted at (a lot of top 50), I don't think he's worth it/won't match it. His %'s are great for a big and obviously the blocks are key. I just think you're going to see a lot of 7/7/1 games

If Allen gets drafted around 50... where does people draft J.Collins ??????????! Even before THAT ?!

If so... thats just crazy stuff..

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Stefan said:

If Allen gets drafted around 50... where does people draft J.Collins ??????????! Even before THAT ?!

If so... thats just crazy stuff..

51 for Collins and 56 for Allen in a cbs roto mock.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/2018-fantasy-basketball-draft-prep-our-first-mock-draft-of-the-season/

• Haha 1

yeah I'm leery of taking guys in the mid round who are "poised" for "breakout" seasons.  Ill take a chance on them when they're established, or in round 8-9 and up.  Let someone else take that chance

Edited by summersoff7
  • Like 3

I’m not burning a top 50 pick for Allen.  I like listening to/reading Mike Gallagher’s work just to see what everyone else is doing.  The problem is that people listen to the experts and it becomes a bit of an echo chamber where dissent isn’t encouraged. I got burnt one year by Danny Green and Nerlens Noel and after that told myself that I wasn’t going to fall for these low volume break out candidate roto darlings again.  Another personal problem is that I barely watched Allen play last year (I have since watched some clips) and nothing about his statistical profile including his performance late in the season suggests he will be top 50.  So I would entirely be basing my decision off Gallagher’s intuition who is the same person who touted Chriss and Boban last season.  I know that sometimes even the experts can get things wrong so I can forgive last years disaster picks from Gallagher but that also doesn’t mean taking his word for it either.  Last season Allen was top 100 toward the end of the season so if you can get him around 90 I think that’s a safe bet with upside.  He’s likely good for 12/8 with 2 blocks and excellent percentages which would put him around 75 so I would consider that the most likely outcome with 60ish being the ceiling and 100 the floor.  The problem is most people are drafting him at his ceiling in which case I’ll pass. 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I’m not burning a top 50 pick for Allen.  I like listening to/reading Mike Gallagher’s work just to see what everyone else is doing.  The problem is that people listen to the experts and it becomes a bit of an echo chamber where dissent isn’t encouraged. I got burnt one year by Danny Green and Nerlens Noel and after that told myself that I wasn’t going to fall for these low volume break out candidate roto darlings again.  Another personal problem is that I barely watched Allen play last year (I have since watched some clips) and nothing about his statistical profile including his performance late in the season suggests he will be top 50.  So I would entirely be basing my decision off Gallagher’s intuition who is the same person who touted Chriss and Boban last season.  I know that sometimes even the experts can get things wrong so I can forgive last years disaster picks from Gallagher but that also doesn’t mean taking his word for it either.  Last season Allen was top 100 toward the end of the season so if you can get him around 90 I think that’s a safe bet with upside.  He’s likely good for 12/8 with 2 blocks and excellent percentages which would put him around 75 so I would consider that the most likely outcome with 60ish being the ceiling and 100 the floor.  The problem is most people are drafting him at his ceiling in which case I’ll pass. 

12/8 with two blocks and excellent %s is around top50 not 75 though. BBM projects him 52th with 13/7/1.9. I would personally be confident taking him around 75-80.