NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2018

DidiFan

3 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Vizcaino is reportedly weeks away from throwing. Is he worth he stash? 

If you have an open Dl spot, yes.  If not, cutting him is perfectly acceptable imo.  I have seen him cut in a couple of leagues by owners in a roster crunch.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

Yeah, I don't trust Swarzak anymore than I trusted Gsellman a few weeks ago.  He will probably be the next bum to lose his closers job.

Closers on bad teams can still be valuable.  Look at Hand before and Yates now for SD.  Even Soria was a decent fantasy asset for the White Sox.  Bad teams win less games, but usually when they win, they don't blow teams.  The problem with the Mets, Orioles, and White Sox relievers is that all they all suck.

Yup. Nothing wrong with closers on bad teams.  Of course that is up to a certain point.  When it gets Baltimore level bad imo, that is another matter.  You are right in that the problems with these teams closers is that all their relievers pretty much suck.

22 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yup...Absolutely.  Could not agree more.  Basically you should just forget about NYM, Baltimore and CHW for saves and let someone else suffer through those scrubs.  I know Swarzak has supposedly found the magic formula...don't you believe it lol.

The key, imho, is simply getting lucky. Draft a guy late who everyone is talking up as taking over before the end of the season (Barraclough) and have that pan out. Pick up FAs outting up excellent seasons along the way who look like their beginning to emerge out of nowhere for save opps (Rondon, Smith), and have them pan out. Pick up FAs with nice numbers who could be in line for some saves should the guy(s) in front of them get traded as is being speculated (LeClerq...if he pans out). 

And stay away from the guys who have so many red flags, they look like a Cincy-StL game (Fry, Givens, Gsellman). 

I'm with you. I get that there are some leagues where saves are as valuable as gold...I'm in one. But I'm not going to risk my ratios just to pick up RPs with all sorts of warning signs attached to them. 

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

The key, imho, is simply getting lucky. Draft a guy late who everyone is talking up as taking over before the end of the season (Barraclough) and have that pan out. Pick up FAs outting up excellent seasons along the way who look like their beginning to emerge out of nowhere for save opps (Rondon, Smith), and have them pan out. Pick up FAs with nice numbers who could be in line for some saves should the guy(s) in front of them get traded as is being speculated (LeClerq...if he pans out). 

And stay away from the guys who have so many red flags, they look like a Cincy-StL game (Fry, Givens, Gsellman). 

I'm with you. I get that there are some leagues where saves are as valuable as gold...I'm in one. But I'm not going to risk my ratios just to pick up RPs with all sorts of warning signs attached to them. 

It depends on the depth of your league and how many bench spots you carry.  In deep leagues with deep benches, it is easy to speculate on closers in waiting types.  I have done this a number of times in a deep auction keeper league I run.    I never pay a lot for saves.  So I scrounge around the edges, looking for value.  In shallower leagues, you just have to be good at beating people to the punch, being a little quicker to see it coming.  Some leagues that is easy to do...others, where everyone is an experience owner who is looking to squeeze anything they can out of their roster, it can be brutal and you see that very scramble for saves and scrubs play out.  I will not go there.  In the end, it does more harm than good in roto imo and you can never trade those marginal types for anything...no one wants them.  Which is sort of ironic that people will scramble to add these scrubs but will not trade for them.

22 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

It depends on the depth of your league and how many bench spots you carry.  In deep leagues with deep benches, it is easy to speculate on closers in waiting types.  I have done this a number of times in a deep auction keeper league I run.    I never pay a lot for saves.  So I scrounge around the edges, looking for value.  In shallower leagues, you just have to be good at beating people to the punch, being a little quicker to see it coming.  Some leagues that is easy to do...others, where everyone is an experience owner who is looking to squeeze anything they can out of their roster, it can be brutal and you see that very scramble for saves and scrubs play out.  I will not go there.  In the end, it does more harm than good in roto imo and you can never trade those marginal types for anything...no one wants them.  Which is sort of ironic that people will scramble to add these scrubs but will not trade for them.

I don't have a problem with stashing people like Kirby Yates who is obviously a good pitcher and it was clear Yates would get the closer's role if Hand was traded.

I guess my point is directed moreso to bums like Gsellman, Givens, Jace Fry, and Swarzak now.  Even in blood-for-saves leagues, is getting a few saves from these guys really worth the hit in ERA and WHIP, especially since these guys are very likely to lose their closers role in a short amount of time?

I understand the rationale (I'm desperate for saves and these bums won't pitch enough innings to drastically affect my team's ERA and WHIP), but honestly how many of these bums actually work out and keep their closer's role?  Maybe you can say Fernando Rodney the past two years, but while bad, he's not as bad as these guys.

Even though Herrera has been bad lately I think his leash is rather long. Who else are they going to give a shot to? Kelley was the best reliever statistically but they just DFA'd him. Madsen has the experience but he's been bad this year. Miller is probably my their next best reliever stats wise but I'd be surprised if he got a shot. Regardless I think Herrera is not someone owners should worry about. 

1 minute ago, BostonCajun said:

Even though Herrera has been bad lately I think his leash is rather long. Who else are they going to give a shot to? Kelley was the best reliever statistically but they just DFA'd him. Madsen has the experience but he's been bad this year. Miller is probably my their next best reliever stats wise but I'd be surprised if he got a shot. Regardless I think Herrera is not someone owners should worry about. 

Yes hs leash may be long enough to hold the job - at least until Doolittle returns - but he has been extremely painful to own  regardless.  Guy's been bad...

4 minutes ago, rotodr said:

So who's holding Blake Parker and had thoughts of dropping him everyday for over 2 weeks?

I was in that camp. Dropped a few days ago. Some will argue it's not a committee, but it appears to be, and there are few save opportunities of late as it is.

33 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

That Tampa Bay Ray coach has pissed all Romo owners off today.

Yeah, and rightfully so.  I don't own Romo, but I definitely would have been too.

If you're going to do a committee, then it should be based on matchups.  Matchups and is the traditional righty/righty lefty/lefty stuff, not picking a guy to close one day and then a different one the next (Kapler is even more guilty of this than the Tampa Bay manager).  It really makes no sense to have a guy close a game one day and then the next day have him be the setup man.  I could understand if Romo was unavailable, but that obviously wasn't the case.

4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

If you're going to do a committee, then it should be based on matchups.  Matchups and is the traditional righty/righty lefty/lefty stuff, not picking a guy to close one day and then a different one the next

They were playing matchups. Romo pitched to three righties in the eighth. Alvarado came in with two lefties due up in the ninth, but the Angels pinch-hit for both of them.

13 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

They were playing matchups. Romo pitched to three righties in the eighth. Alvarado came in with two lefties due up in the ninth, but the Angels pinch-hit for both of them.

My bad.  Didn't realize he was a lefty.  That pretty much makes my other post pointless then for the most part....

4 hours ago, secretagentman said:

Yup...Absolutely.  Could not agree more.  Basically you should just forget about NYM, Baltimore and CHW for saves and let someone else suffer through those scrubs.  I know Swarzak has supposedly found the magic formula...don't you believe it lol.

swarzak was great last year and pretty good for the last couple years i guess. sure he started off terrible but wasn't he out for a long period of time with an injury?

2 hours ago, cdd10 said:

swarzak was great last year and pretty good for the last couple years i guess. sure he started off terrible but wasn't he out for a long period of time with an injury?

Swarzak had a 5.5 ERA in 2016 in very limited duty (3.1 IPs) with the NY Yankees in 2016.  Prior to that, in 2015, he had a 3.38 ERA and a 1.65 WHIP (terrible) for Cleveland again in limited duty (13.1 IPs).  Yes, last year he was decent for Milw compiling a 2.33 ERA and over 90Ks in 77.1 IPs.  Had a career year at age 31 imo.  Has been brutal this year after missing the first 2+ months due to an oblique injury.   Just not a believer in a 32 year old with a lifetime 4.33 ERA and 1.33 WHIP.  That is not to say that maybe he did find something with his mechanics and get his head out of his rear end, but he has never really been any good imo so I just do not believe.

Archived