NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2018

DidiFan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, chrisrfu said:

Jace Fry used in the 8th to get an out. Jeanmar Gomez still available.

No more save opp unless the Sox get a couple in the 8th.

21 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

No more save opp unless the Sox get a couple in the 8th.

They did.  Xavier Cedeno gave up a leadoff double, Jeanmar Gomez came in, got a lineout to left, runner went to third.  Now Luis Avilan is in with one out.

14 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

given everything going on,id Definately hold on to rondon or get him of hes available.  

I agree with this short term.

But I give it 2 weeks max before Osuna gets a shot.

Still a chance Osuna isn't the same after all this mess. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

1) osunas legal troubles are very far from being settled.  

2) verlander is apparently very upset at the prospect of having him in the organization and that guy has a lot of pull.

Although,despite rondons sucess,past and present. The alternatives mentioned were bud norris via trade and lance mccullers.  Rondon is the rodney Dangerfield of closers.

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

1) osunas legal troubles are very far from being settled.  

2) verlander is apparently very upset at the prospect of having him in the organization and that guy has a lot of pull.

Although,despite rondons sucess,past and present. The alternatives mentioned were bud norris via trade and lance mccullers.  Rondon is the rodney Dangerfield of closers.

I see what you did there...

tenor.gif?itemid=4892740

I love that we are so used to the Wade Davis melt downs now, that there isn't even any mention of it when he blows a save...Is Ottavino definitely next in line, or any chance they keep him in the setup role where he has been so ? ? ?

Maybe Avilan kind of stumbled upon the potential of more save opportunities?  It's not like they have any better options, he got the job done today, and he was solid before this year and at least decent this year.  Wondering if there is anything to see here or not (obviously impossible to predict yet).

24 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Don't forget that the Astros traded for Giles after their bullpen meltdown in the 2015 wild card game, and the conventional logic was that he was brought in to close for them in 2016.  However, Hinch gave the job to Gregerson that year and he kept it until June when he started blowing saves.  

Osuna could very well end up being the closer independent of Rodon, but Rondon's been so good in the role that I still think it's his job to lose.  

Mets calling up Wahl who was part of the Familia deal. Great bullpen arm, awesome stars. Wondering how this effects the Mets closer situation 

1 hour ago, chrisrfu said:

Jace Fry used in the 8th to get an out. Jeanmar Gomez still available.

Today's usage does not look good for Fry.  Seems like he already blew his closer's role with that epic meltdown on Sunday (even though he's struck out all 4 batters he's faced since then)

30 minutes ago, rotodr said:

Mets calling up Wahl who was part of the Familia deal. Great bullpen arm, awesome stars. Wondering how this effects the Mets closer situation 

Guessing he isn't given a chance unless the current option tanks even though he has been fantastic in the minors.

48 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Today's usage does not look good for Fry.  Seems like he already blew his closer's role with that epic meltdown on Sunday (even though he's struck out all 4 batters he's faced since then)

Today's usage is troubling (maybe just more disappointing than anything else), but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion so quick he's blew his chance to nab the closer's role. Especially given the encouraging words from Manager Renteria.

17 minutes ago, k.k. said:

Today's usage is troubling (maybe just more disappointing than anything else), but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion so quick he's blew his chance to nab the closer's role. Especially given the encouraging words from Manager Renteria.

What words were those?  After today's game?

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Guessing he isn't given a chance unless the current option tanks even though he has been fantastic in the minors.

When the current options are Gsellman (4.27 ERA and 1.34 WHIP this year, 4.39 ERA and 1.41 WHIP career) and Swarzak (6.30 ERA and 1.70 WHIP this year, 4.29 ERA and 1.34 WHIP career), the current options tanking isn't that unlikely of a scenario.

3 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

What words were those?  After today's game?

This -

Manager Rick Renteria feels Fry will learn from his blown save and is confident the left-hander has the stuff to close out games, Brian Sandalow of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Fry was granted Chicago's first save chance following the trade of Joakim Soria to the Brewers and flamed out in a loss to the Blue Jays. "I think that he's one of those kids that that's not going to affect him," Renteria said. "He's going to learn from [Sunday's] outing, knowing him. It was a good test for him, and it didn't work out. But he certainly has, I think, the stuff to be able to do it." The White Sox don't have anything to lose by getting Fry back into a similar situation, so that he can apply the lessons he learned, which can only help the team. Mostly, Renteria wants to see Fry locate his pitches within the zone better.

Archived