NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2018

DidiFan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Are Smith owners worried about Strickland coming back on the 19th?

Nah.  I doubt he will,they ll baby him to no end,and smith was absolutely free for me.  

2 minutes ago, quietj said:

Is the Barraclough ride officially over? The guy has been pure trash for about a month now. My has he fallen off of a cliff.

Yeah it should be.

33 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Are Smith owners worried about Strickland coming back on the 19th?

Not even remotely.  I have a million worries about my fantasy team, but that is not one of them.  Smith (1.31 ERA, 0.82 WHIP) has totally outclassed Strickland (2.84 ERA, 1.23 WHIP) and it's not like Strickland was an established star closer.  And Smith's ERA isn't really the result of luck either.  In fact, you could argue that if anything he's been unlucky as his FIP is currently under 1.

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Not even remotely.  I have a million worries about my fantasy team, but that is not one of them.  Smith (1.31 ERA, 0.82 WHIP) has totally outclassed Strickland (2.84 ERA, 1.23 WHIP) and it's not like Strickland was an established star closer.  And Smith's ERA isn't really the result of luck either.  In fact, you could argue that if anything he's been unlucky as his FIP is currently under 1.

Good response that we should pin for the next guy to ask this same exact question (probably in a few days again). Not sure how many times we've heard this in the last month.

As I recall Strickland was becoming  very  shaky in the closers role just prior to his injury.  Will Smith on the other hand has been elite and pitching like a top tiered closer since given the gig, and he was before given the role as well. He's the best relief arm they have.

In the world of never knowing exactly what a manager might do in the future you would have to feel pretty good for Smith's long term closer outlook (assuming no sudden pitching collapse by Smith).

Jays manager John Gibbons plans to eventually use Giles as their closer, but only after he first pitches in a lower-leverage spot first, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.CA reports.
Spin: 
Giles believes his brief demotion to Triple-A allowed him to regain his slider as an effective out pitch. "I got a great feel for my slider when I got demoted to triple-A, I got my slider back, now it's about me establishing my fastball better to make me more successful," he said. "Knowing that guys are going to ambush me early, I've got to be more prepared."
2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Probably Givens, still, though he doesn’t appear to have it this year. Think I’d personally take a chance on Fry?

200w.gif

I’d like to see Tanner Scott get a chance.

10 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

For those following the CWS closer situation Avilan is pitching the bottom of the 9th in a tie game. 

And Fry was in in the 8th and had an ER. D'oh!

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Davis has to be done now. His ERA is now sitting at 5.09.

Our semi's are next week and I'm thinking about dropping Davis for Leclerc.  At this point I'd rather not have a closer at all than carry this meltdown risk into the playoffs.

Archived