Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2018


DidiFan

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, doctordestructo said:

Strop having a rough 9th... on the verge of blowing a save opportunity :(

 

Pedro Strop's job is very secure until Morrow returns, this isn't a committee situation at all.  It says a lot that Strop allowed 3 straight hits to start the inning yesterday and Maddon didn't even get anyone in the bullpen warming up and then Maddon went right back to him today.

 

It doesn't seem like Morrow is anywhere close to a return and given how great of a team the Cubs are, Strop really should be universally owned.  Also even if Morrow is able to return eventually, I don't think it's a 100% slam dunk that he gets his closer's job back if Strop is doing well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Swarzak's career numbers suck too.  Last year is the outlier in his career numbers, not this year.

Define suck.  Cuz they aren't that bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

 

To me that sounds like pure speculation by the writer, not anything that Renteria or anyone else in White Sox management said.  Fry's usage the past two days as a one-batter left-handed specialist with no one out in the 8th inning is very concerning.

 

It certainly is anyone's guess who will get the next shot at closing, or what the usage will be moving forward. As Closer Monkey joked "you might as well pull a name from a hat". FWIW they still have Fry at the top of the committee list. (^Fry | Cedeno | Avilan)

 

All I'm saying is Fry isn't out of the mix.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

4.28 career ERA, 1.34 career WHIP

I'll give you some of that,  but some is also product of his early starting days.  He's no stud,  but we've seen plenty worse at closer 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k.k. said:

 

It certainly is anyone's guess who will get the next shot at closing, or what the usage will be moving forward. As Closer Monkey joked "you might as well pull a name from a hat". FWIW they still have Fry at the top of the committee list. (^Fry | Cedeno | Avilan)

 

All I'm saying is Fry isn't out of the mix.  

After today, it sure looks like he is out of the closer by committee.  Fry had the first chance to inherit the closer's role and it simply would not have been possible for him to choke any more than he did on Sunday

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

I'll give you some of that,  but some is also product of his early starting days.  He's no stud,  but we've seen plenty worse at closer 

Agree, I'd rather own Swarzak than Givens or Jace Fry.  However, I wouldn't expect helpful ratios from him and I think there's a 50% chance he loses his job by the end of August.  Hope I'm wrong though because I did pick him up in one blood-for-saves league

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

After today, it sure looks like he is out of the closer by committee. 

 

That's purely your speculation. And that's all anyone has going at this point, including Rotoworld, Rotowire, Closer Monkey, etc. They still have Fry in the mix so I'm likely to follow them over your stance, sorry. It's anyone's guess what the CHW will do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, k.k. said:

 

That's purely your speculation. And that's all anyone has going at this point, including Rotoworld, Rotowire, Closer Monkey, etc. They still have Fry in the mix so I'm likely to follow them over your stance, sorry. It's anyone's guess what the CHW will do.

 

I'm just following what Renteria doing, and that sure as heck doesn't look like using Fry as his closer anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

I'm just following what Renteria doing, and that sure as heck doesn't look like using Fry as his closer anymore

 

Thyago Vieira got the save today. Kudos to anyone who predicted that!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Gsellman, not Swarzak, closing out the game. 

Not that I have Swarzak, but that officially makes no sense.  I could understand if Swarzak was unavailable, but he obviously was...

 

30 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Knebel no longer the closer ?

I'm officially confused on the usage tonight.  I know he hasn't been consistent at all of late, but he's only blown one save recently.  It's not like he's pulled a Wade Davis or a I'm too lazy to try to spell the guy from the Marlins...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I don’t have any shares of the Mil bullpen so forgive me if this is a silly question but why is Knebel pitching the top of the 7th?

 

Wondering the same thing. Are they going true committee? Jeffress? Hader?

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, crookedmacs said:

Thyago Vieira is a guy to check out for the White Sox. Hit triple digits on the final out for the K and save. Control was an issue in the minors though

I think he's literally just throwing out a random guy out of his bullpen every night and hoping for the best.  I'm not even trying to be funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WahooManiac said:

I'll give you some of that,  but some is also product of his early starting days.  He's no stud,  but we've seen plenty worse at closer 

 

This is correct...

 

image.png.c72fe0d73cc95b3c4efdb7c01f3abbd1.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Pedro Strop's job is very secure until Morrow returns, this isn't a committee situation at all.  It says a lot that Strop allowed 3 straight hits to start the inning yesterday and Maddon didn't even get anyone in the bullpen warming up and then Maddon went right back to him today.

 

It doesn't seem like Morrow is anywhere close to a return and given how great of a team the Cubs are, Strop really should be universally owned.  Also even if Morrow is able to return eventually, I don't think it's a 100% slam dunk that he gets his closer's job back if Strop is doing well.

 

I would disagree with your last point. When Morrow comes back healthy he will be the main closer no matter what Strop does.  Strop would likely still see save opportunities though as Morrow will likely not pitch on back to back days. 

 

Morrow was brought in to close for the Cubs this year and has pitched very well in the role.  That's not going to change. I am sure Cubs view Strop as useful in any late inning situation as he was prior to Morrow's injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Treinen has been a top 5 closer. He has a microscopic HR/9 and ERA. He has to be one of the best values this season.

I think you can take it one step further and say he’s been easily the best closer and he’s been the best value this season. He’s now ranked 16th on the ESPN player rater. Everyone ahead of him was drafted much higher. His season this year reminds me of Zach Britton’s a few years ago when he finished with a 0.54 ERA. If he keeps it up he’ll be in the Cy Young discussion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue Jays got one run in the top the 9th to push it to a four run lead.  I saw Giles pitched the bottom of the 9th.  Would he have been on to close if it had stayed a three run lead?  Or...Did they let him pitch in a lower leverage situation initially and had their closer warming up also?

 

Any insight?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RenegadeGM said:

 

This is correct...

 

image.png.c72fe0d73cc95b3c4efdb7c01f3abbd1.png

 

Ok, fair enough.  The bigger problem though is Callaway using Gsellman to close out the game yesterday when Swarzak should have been available.  (Swarzak only threw 17 pitches on Friday and didn't pitch for 4 days in a row before.)  Unfortunately this is looking like a full-blown closer-by-committee just like for the White Sox.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...