NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cordarrelle Patterson 2018 Outlook

With J.Matt gone, despite Decker on his way for a workout, I just wanted to take a moment to remind the world that CP84 is in fact a Patriot, that they traded for.

I can't imagine there's a better return man on the Patriots, arguably in the NFL than CP84, so I think his roster spot is safe, but that depends on his ability to execute plays Bill's way.  However unlikely, there is a spot on the offense for a receiver and CP84 is technically the next man up.  I play in a return yardage league, where I am keeping a very close eye on this guy.  Was hoping anyone who might be local can give us any insight as to how many or even IF CP84 has gotten any reps at WR, where at etc.

He had a 3 game stretch for the Raiders where it looked like they were going to start using him from Wk 11-13

4/45

3/72

4/97

and then... as he always does, he disappeared.

Any other team, I wouldn't care, but no Edelman, J.Matt down, and BB knows how to get the most out of players, with the combined return yardage he's at least on my radar.

6'2, 220, 4.4 speed, 37" vert.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what we're looking at here is the NFL's 1st ever player to have 1,000 receiving yards, 1,000 rushing yards, 1,000 kick return yards, and 1,000 punt return yards all in the same season.  IDK ab

... and they'll insert him into their lineups due to a juicy matchup and he'll go 1/7/0.  

That's not really how it works though. Yes, Brady is far and away the best QB Patterson will ever play with but Brady won't necessarily be able to throw Patterson open. It's still up to Patterson to g

Posted Images

You had me at "unlikely" and "receiver", which is exactly the kind of thing BB likes. I have to say I am quite wary of investing any draft capital, but if anyone can make something out of him it's the Pats. On the watch list he goes for my league with return yards.

Edited by Boudewijn

Patterson got a nice blurb on rotoworld today.  Apparently he has been playing a lot of WR at Pats training camp, and doing quite well.

Patterson has played with some pretty awful QBs during his career.  This season has to be the best situation he has ever been in, by far.  And all the other Patriot WRs are dropping like flies...

• Like 1

I was hoping they’d keep him quiet for awhile... oh well. He is an absolute freak of nature athlete with a diverse skill set that a coach like B.B. will get the most out of. 

Considering the top WRs as of now are Hogan and a suspended Edelman, he’s got a fairly clear path to significant snaps with 1 of the league’s top QBs and is probably the most “talented”/athletic WR on the team 

I can see the Pats utilizing him in similar ways as Cooks, obviously he is no where near refined with route running and catching in traffic like Cooks but has better YAC potential than cooks did imo, as he's one of the most talented open field runners I've ever seen (No bias here or anything :D).

Worth a flier in deep leagues, but he is still a ways off my radar sadly.

Edited by next big thing cp84
43 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I was hoping they’d keep him quiet for awhile... oh well. He is an absolute freak of nature athlete with a diverse skill set that a coach like B.B. will get the most out of. 

Considering the top WRs as of now are Hogan and a suspended Edelman, he’s got a fairly clear path to significant snaps with 1 of the league’s top QBs and is probably the most “talented”/athletic WR on the team 

I think part of the problem is he looks good in practice and non-tackle practices. But when defenders are flying around he doesn't have the concentration, hands, or route-running to be a starting caliber receiver.

• Like 2

One of the reasons Patterson is interesting is that Britt is one of the lackluster names theoretically ahead of Patterson.

What was it that happened that one good season that boosted him?

And why can't it be repeated?

I don't mean this rhetorically. 

Was a few strung together fluke plays?

Or was he schemed in a way that had him going in the 4th round the following year and ending up on the Mt. Rushmore of busts?

If it was scheme...good god almighty what WAS it?

Scheme. The guy couldn't run routes so they had to manufacture touches near the line of scrimmage. Look at his game log. He had 3 (long) rushing TDs in the final 5 games. 3 receiving TDs in the last 4 games, but look at the averages. So many games were under 10 yards per catch. The one big game he had was mainly because of a 79 yard TD reception, and yeah it was a bubble screen. I'm guessing in year 2 defenses did their own scheming to eliminate his big plays. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Scheme. The guy couldn't run routes so they had to manufacture touches near the line of scrimmage. Look at his game log. He had 3 (long) rushing TDs in the final 5 games. 3 receiving TDs in the last 4 games, but look at the averages. So many games were under 10 yards per catch. The one big game he had was mainly because of a 79 yard TD reception, and yeah it was a bubble screen. I'm guessing in year 2 defenses did their own scheming to eliminate his big plays. 

a scheme that utilized Harvin similarly, especially the year ('12) prior, where he (Harvin), not AP, was being bandied about as the league MVP at the quarter season mark (then Percy went down for the duration).

so, the scheme was already in place, and proven to be quite potent, especially with an alpha dog like AP to draw attention (though he had a very ish '13 when Patterson flourished, and then was suspended for '14, CP's second season .... that played a big part in the sophomore slump).

really didn't have those luxuries on the Raiders, and he won't see those schemes wif Hoodie.   if the kid makes noise it's gonna need to be via polishing up his technique and route running. 

gl with all that. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, owenmills said:

The scheme worked better with Harvin because Harvin was a much better football player. Patterson is really just a glorified kick returner. 

of course Harvin was, and i acknowledged as such ... but it was an intregal part of the Vikes offensive repertoire, and CP stepped in ... my point was that his subsequent landing spots were/are not nearly as conducive to the kid's primary strengths.  

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…………….quiet...……..

Stop talking about Patterson.

16 days after NE traded to get him from OAK, they shipped Cooks to the Rams for a 1st round pick, which they desperately needed to replace their LT who signed a record contract with the Giants.

He's a bust.  If you talk him up, we can't get him cheap.

He's a playmaker...….who is desperately awful at creating space...…..but having Gronk on the field does that for you......

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh………….quiet...….

He'll be awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am thinking more and more that this cat will be the forgotten man in fantasy drafts.  Then, when he starts dropping 65 yard TDs on fools, the fantasy world will be rushing to the waiver wire to put in a claim.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I am thinking more and more that this cat will be the forgotten man in fantasy drafts.  Then, when he starts dropping 65 yard TDs on fools, the fantasy world will be rushing to the waiver wire to put in a claim.

... and they'll insert him into their lineups due to a juicy matchup and he'll go 1/7/0.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

just get him the ball ... somehow. 

That was just bad defense...

I’m not buying it. BB kicks the tires on all washed up, has been, and athletic freaks that no one else wants.

Hello Mr. Britt and Mr. Dorset...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

just get him the ball ... somehow. 

That was not great route running, he was not the focus of the play, and the defense ignored him because they knew he wouldn't get it anyway (shouldn't). Having said that, he broke loose of a couple tackles, well done (but awful tackling), and after that he was really hard to get down.

To be honest, THIS is what I want to see them do with him:

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, jmausen said:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…………….quiet...……..

Stop talking about Patterson.

16 days after NE traded to get him from OAK, they shipped Cooks to the Rams for a 1st round pick, which they desperately needed to replace their LT who signed a record contract with the Giants.

He's a bust.  If you talk him up, we can't get him cheap.

He's a playmaker...….who is desperately awful at creating space...…..but having Gronk on the field does that for you......

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh………….quiet...….

He'll be awesome.

He’ll probably go undrafted in a large portion of leagues. Fool me once...

If he was on any team other than NE, I wouldn’t care.

if there’s a team that can actually tap into his talent (which is undeniable) and finds ways to get him the ball - it’s the Patriots.

Who exactly is in his way to start the year? He basically needs to beat out a less talented career bust (Dorsett) and he will see a ton of snaps in NE. 

Definitely worth a “hold” to see what happens - especially for a guy that can score every time he touches the ball