NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cordarrelle Patterson 2018 Outlook

14 minutes ago, owenmills said:

The guy can’t run routes. But he is very dangerous with the ball in his hands. It worked his first year in Minnesota. Not so much his second year. So the question really is will the Pats manufacture enough touches for him to make him fantasy relevant because he’s not going to get open by himself.

this right here.  

Hoodie isn't the type to gimmick up the offense  - kid may get some crumbs here and there out the WR slot, but i think we see CP operating more out the backfield, especially while Rex/Michel convalesce. 

more dangerous to White's prospects atm, imo. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what we're looking at here is the NFL's 1st ever player to have 1,000 receiving yards, 1,000 rushing yards, 1,000 kick return yards, and 1,000 punt return yards all in the same season.  IDK ab

... and they'll insert him into their lineups due to a juicy matchup and he'll go 1/7/0.  

That's not really how it works though. Yes, Brady is far and away the best QB Patterson will ever play with but Brady won't necessarily be able to throw Patterson open. It's still up to Patterson to g

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

I read an article yesterday suggesting he might be the Patriots next Randy Moss. 

lol or the next scott chandler

i like patt as a flyer, but the next moss? that's just silly talk.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

lol or the next scott chandler

i like patt as a flyer, but the next moss? that's just silly talk.

3 time all pro in 5 seasons.

Played 2 years in junior college, 1 year at TEN, then was drafted in the first round.

He's been getting his college WR reps buried on the depth charts of various NFL teams.  Development has been predictably slow.

BB picked him up from OAK 2 weeks before he unloaded Cooks.

Believe they hype.  The timing on his development is right.  He should be ready to run NFL routes now.

3 time all-pro in 5 seasons.

Edited by jmausen
9 minutes ago, jmausen said:

3 time all pro in 5 seasons.

Played 2 years in junior college, 1 year at TEN, then was drafted in the first round.

He's been getting his college WR reps buried on the depth charts of various NFL teams.  Development has been predictably slow.

BB picked him up from OAK 2 weeks before he unloaded Cooks.

Believe they hype.  The timing on his development is right.  He should be ready to run NFL routes now.

3 time all-pro in 5 seasons.

thanks, i read it the first time it was posted. 

all pro kick returner ≠ hall of fame WR production

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The hype in this thread is wildly rampant with questionable non "real football" logic.

- He's not returning kicks in the preseason because he has that spot 100% locked up. There is 0 to gain by having your all-pro return man involved in what is considered the most violent play in football during meaningless preseason games. The Patriots brought him in because they lost their main kick returning (Dion Lewis) and in the past have had to use a revolving door at the position, anything on offense is a nice bonus.. he wasn't brought in to replace Cooks or be a focal point of the offense.

- Route running isn't something that is necessarily just "learned" all of a sudden, yes it can definitely be honed in on and improved upon but expectations should be tempered here. Terrell Pryor would be the only recent instance of a guy making that kind of adaptation and even then he had to become a physical receiver to make up for his deficiencies, that is not Patterson's style.   

- If he's not running convincing routes beyond the line of scrimmage he becomes a personnel liability, it's one less guy you have to account for on defense beyond being alert for screens and end-arounds. This was his demise as an offensive player in Minnesota, you basically are playing man down with the trade off being that you hope he can hit a home run every so often on his designed plays.

- Those claiming his development should be on schedule for him to figure it all out as a WR aren't really taking into consideration that he wasn't being groomed as WR in his later years in Minnesota nor was it occurring in Oakland. A lot of that development would've had to occur over this summer.

- If you're banking on him playing significant RB snaps then you probably would be in the belief that James White's role will be reduced as a result (also banking on Patterson's pass protection and RB ball-carrier vision being dramatically improved). White will likely be lined up in conjunction with either Hill or Burkhead over Patterson for some rather obvious reasons.

I understand he's a decent end of the draft shot in the dark because of circumstances at WR in New England but those claiming he could be a Moss or Cooks like player (or even be consistently fantasy relevant) aren't really looking at the whole picture. Don't get me wrong, I like New England, I'd be thrilled to see him become an actual offensive weapon the way everyone thought he would be years ago but as it stands he is currently the modern Devin Hester.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Is 1100 total yards and 5-6 TDs a reasonable projection for him this season? 

I wouldn't say that's reasonable.  If he finished with those kind of numbers, I'd be willing to wager even ol' Bill would be surprised.

16 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

That is the floor my friend. A more reasonable projection is something like 1700 receiving yards and 20 TD.

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

sure ... if you're his agent, or a member of his family/posse :unsure:

I said TOTAL yards...like receiving and rushing.  I'm thinking 700 yards receiving and 400 rushing.  

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but I can really see this happening.  I'm hoping for 60 catches and 50 rushes.  If he touches the ball that many times plus what he does as a returner he's going to have plenty of big plays and plenty of TD's. 

He should be getting drafted in the 4th or 5th round. Crazy he's going undrafted. This is the exact pick that wins championships. He's got the talent and now has the situation and support. 

Edited by gbill2004

He’s never had more than 13 carries in a season, why would he get 4x that much in NE? Especially with how many RB’s on the pats roster. 

With that being said, as a pats fan I hope he ends up being great and putting up solid numbers. But so far from preseason it looks like the pats are more invested in Dorsett as the third receiver, although he’s looked meh at best so far. Patterson makes more sense to me since the patriots lack a big body receiver (although they do have Gronk), so I’d like them to show off a bit more size with Patterson rather than Dorsett. 

Im curious if BB is so concerned about getting his kick returner hurt that he’ll limit him to the previously mentioned gadget plays that CP is known for. Belichick values special teams maybe more than any head coach out there, so it wouldn’t surprise me. 

Edited by SITG
5 hours ago, devaster said:

That is the floor my friend. A more reasonable projection is something like 1700 receiving yards and 20 TD.

Your math is off because you’re not considering that he’s going to run 35-50% of his returns back for TDs. So the Pats will actually gave record lows for offensive possessions.  So yes, more like 1400/15 TD, but another 15-40 return tds.

2 minutes ago, n4sa said:

This guy stinks unless you're in a kick return league. Lol at the guy predicting 1100 total yards. 

We'll see who's laughing when I'm winning my league's championship because of Patterson.  Snooze you lose!  

On 8/23/2018 at 10:36 AM, gbill2004 said:

22 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

He should be getting drafted in the 4th or 5th round. Crazy he's going undrafted. This is the exact pick that wins championships. He's got the talent and now has the situation and support. 

6 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

We'll see who's laughing when I'm winning my league's championship because of Patterson.  Snooze you lose!  

LOL

9 minutes ago, n4sa said:

This guy stinks unless you're in a kick return league. Lol at the guy predicting 1100 total yards. 

This is laughable.  Look what is happening in front of your eyes - CPat is making headlines on a daily basis with how well he is doing in training camp, making headlines every day with amazing catches, BB is singing his praises, they literally got rid of their third best WR for this guy (Gronk, Edelman is better than Cooks), BB told him that he was going to make him into the player that he should be......bro.....it's happening.