Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cordarrelle Patterson 2018 Outlook


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

 

This is laughable.  Look what is happening in front of your eyes - CPat is making headlines on a daily basis with how well he is doing in training camp, making headlines every day with amazing catches, BB is singing his praises, they literally got rid of their third best WR for this guy (Gronk, Edelman is better than Cooks), BB told him that he was going to make him into the player that he should be......bro.....it's happening.

Let them laugh...it's their loss!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what we're looking at here is the NFL's 1st ever player to have 1,000 receiving yards, 1,000 rushing yards, 1,000 kick return yards, and 1,000 punt return yards all in the same season.  IDK ab

... and they'll insert him into their lineups due to a juicy matchup and he'll go 1/7/0.  

That's not really how it works though. Yes, Brady is far and away the best QB Patterson will ever play with but Brady won't necessarily be able to throw Patterson open. It's still up to Patterson to g

Posted Images

Not to rain on anyone's parade but per RW:

 

Phillip Dorsett caught 4-of-4 targets for 36 yards in the Patriots' third preseason game Friday night.

Dorsett started in the Patriots’ opening three-receiver set opposite Chris Hogan with Julian Edelman in the slot. Tom Brady found Dorsett for a crucial fourth-down conversion toward the end of the first half, showing trust in the former Colts first-round bust. At least until Edelman returns from suspension, Dorsett looks likely to open the season as the Patriots’ No. 2 receiver. He will still be the fourth or fifth option in New England’s passing game behind Hogan, Rob Gronkowski, James White, and Rex Burkhead with gadget guy Cordarrelle Patterson also in the mix.
 
 
The RW comments and links above are mostly fluff pieces but Dorsett caught 4 of 4 Brady targets last night with 1st team offense and it looks like the 25 year old, former 1st round talent could be Pats starting WR2 until Edelman returns (ahead of Patterson).  Funny that Dorsett doesn't even have a 2018 thread.  Patterson is interesting in his own right but not sure why he is getting more hype than Dorsett.  
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Meastoftheeast said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade but per RW:

 

Phillip Dorsett caught 4-of-4 targets for 36 yards in the Patriots' third preseason game Friday night.

Dorsett started in the Patriots’ opening three-receiver set opposite Chris Hogan with Julian Edelman in the slot. Tom Brady found Dorsett for a crucial fourth-down conversion toward the end of the first half, showing trust in the former Colts first-round bust. At least until Edelman returns from suspension, Dorsett looks likely to open the season as the Patriots’ No. 2 receiver. He will still be the fourth or fifth option in New England’s passing game behind Hogan, Rob Gronkowski, James White, and Rex Burkhead with gadget guy Cordarrelle Patterson also in the mix.
 
 
The RW comments and links above are mostly fluff pieces but Dorsett caught 4 of 4 Brady targets last night with 1st team offense and it looks like the 25 year old, former 1st round talent could be Pats starting WR2 until Edelman returns (ahead of Patterson).  Funny that Dorsett doesn't even have a 2018 thread.  Patterson is interesting in his own right but not sure why he is getting more hype than Dorsett.  
 

Not raining on anyone's parade. The Patriots are keeping Patterson safely hidden away in preparation for the regular season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Meastoftheeast said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade but per RW:

 

Phillip Dorsett caught 4-of-4 targets for 36 yards in the Patriots' third preseason game Friday night.

Dorsett started in the Patriots’ opening three-receiver set opposite Chris Hogan with Julian Edelman in the slot. Tom Brady found Dorsett for a crucial fourth-down conversion toward the end of the first half, showing trust in the former Colts first-round bust. At least until Edelman returns from suspension, Dorsett looks likely to open the season as the Patriots’ No. 2 receiver. He will still be the fourth or fifth option in New England’s passing game behind Hogan, Rob Gronkowski, James White, and Rex Burkhead with gadget guy Cordarrelle Patterson also in the mix.
 

 

I see you're new here.  The best advice I can give you... and I legitimately mean this from the bottom of my heart... is ignore all blue text.

This is completely independent of CP84 or any thread you may enter.  Best of luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

 

I see you're new here.  The best advice I can give you... and I legitimately mean this from the bottom of my heart... is ignore all blue text.

This is completely independent of CP84 or any thread you may enter.  Best of luck.

lol he mentioned the RW part was a fluff piece..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It never made sense that Dorsett was declared a bust, but Patterson can develop the skills to be a legit WR. Its not like Patterson has been in the league a shorter time than Dorsett. That Patriots Magic was only going to bless Patterson?

 

I get the dude flashes crazy raw skills..but he's never been able to get himself open or the manpower to win contested catches. So that has limited him to being someone who gets runs or passes near the LOS when designed plays can give him space to do his thing.  I'm sure BB has lots of creative ideas on exotic plays to create space for him. So his numbers should be better than Oakland. I fully expect him to be a monster in Return leagues.

 

Its the whole being a legit no 2 or 3 WR thing, but Dorsett was irrelevant thing. Getting rid of Malcom Mitchell and Kenny Brit was somehow only a vote of confidence in Patterson, but not Dorsett?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoonBlaster said:

I've yet to read a truly logical argument about how/why Patterson should be viewed as a legitmate option here.

 

Guys, look, this is extremely simple.  If your only definition of 'logic' is 'a 5 year track record of top 12 production' then this isn't the thread (arguably forum) for you.

 

The justification is very straight forward:

Athletic Freak Talent + Top 5 NFL Offense + Offensive opportunity + 16th round draft pick = Logical excitement/investment

 

It's really not that difficult.  We're not talking about a 5th round draft pick here, we're not even talking about putting him into your lineups yet, Jesus we're talking about a 16th round draft pick.  People are saying 'This guy has the talent and opportunity to become the #2 WR on the Patriots'.  That's it.  No one can guarantee he'll secure that job, or that he'll succeed in it, or that his deficiencies at the position won't get him into Bill's dog house before the season even starts.  We're just saying, this is the perfect type of flier to take late in fantasy drafts.  That's it.  No more, no less.

 

10 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

It never made sense that Dorsett was declared a bust, but Patterson can develop the skills to be a legit WR.

 

Let me start this response with a very clear standpoint.  I think Dorsett is an equally-ish interesting flier, for the exact same reasons as CP84.  I personally prefer CP84, because as has been mentioned multiple times, of his assumed return yardage contribution for my league(s).

 

Having said that, the difference between these two, for me, is that I don't feel CP84 has been given a 'full' opportunity to be the WR he can be.  His first year in MIN they got him the ball, and he lit the world on fire.  His second year I understand the notion they tried to make him a legit WR and he was a let down, I won't deny that.  Since then, I believe he's been forced into a return-only job, and was an after thought at the WR position, where he wasn't really put in a place to develop as a WR.

 

I completely agree with many of the skeptics, there were/are blatant flaws in CP84s game, including mental mistakes, routes, and the technicalities of the WR position that he failed to exhibit in the past years, earning him the 'raw' tag, which he deserves.

 

How this differs from Dorsett, again, just in my opinion, is that Dorsett was a 1st round pick who was suppose to be an elite WR from day 1, was put in a position, offense, with a QB, all prime for him to be groomed into a truly dominant WR... and he never stepped up or delivered.  He was with NE last year and even with Edelman out for the season, Hogan injured for half of it, he still couldn't consistently work his way onto the field.  After Hogan went down, NE gave him 73, 65 and 71% of the offensive snaps... and he was only able to catch more than 1 ball, twice in the 7 game stretch.  Hell he only had more than 1 target 3 times in those 7 games.  After the first 3 weeks of NE giving him a shot, his snap percentages basically got cut in half 45, 38, 56% over the final 3 games.

 

Dorsett is a bust, because he's been given multiple chances to earn his keep on a team, and has failed every time, without the 'excuses' CP84 has.

CP84 is a bust, because after earning his keep, he failed the following year, and has been relegated to a KR ever since basically.

 

So when I look at these 2 players, and you ask me, who stands to benefit the most... the answer is very easily CP84, but for a reason that may shock you.  Because CP84 has been the worse WR from a 'technical' standpoint his entire career, his possibility for growth is significantly higher than Dorsett's, which makes his ceiling much higher in my opinion.

 

Let me be clear, 'possibility' for growth and 'ceiling' are terms that have no quantifiable measurement in fantasy football.  These are just 'maybes' 'hopes' and 'ifs'.  I can not sit here and pretend I have a lot of confidence in CP84 becoming the #2 WR of the Patriots, or that he has any clearer of a path to that role than Dorsett, and even more importantly, I can't even tell you how valuable the #2, arguably #3 WR on the Patriots will be, given the presence of Gronk and White.  Realistically we could be talking about the 5th-6th target on the team by week 5, and I completely understand that argument against him and have no disputes against that side of it.

 

But... That's why he's a 16th round pick and why I believe his value might depend on his returning ability for leagues that score them.

If you like Dorsett as a late round flier for the same possibility of talent+situation, you will get zero arguments from me.

I love CP84, but I've only been drafting him in leagues with return yardage. (20:1)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/8/2018 at 1:36 AM, gbill2004 said:

Is 1100 total yards and 5-6 TDs a reasonable projection for him this season? 

In return yard leagues, maybe. I'd say 500 return, 300 pass and 200 rushing. Those TDs are definitely not impossible, again, if you count return yardage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FFcollusion....that was one of the finest pieces of writing i have ever read. i have tears streaming down my cheeks at this moment. you nailed it my man. fantastic. i took CP in the 14th round of a 15th round draft last nite and everyone laughed. i just smiled and said you never know......but i do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

In return yard leagues, maybe. I'd say 500 return, 300 pass and 200 rushing. Those TDs are definitely not impossible, again, if you count return yardage.

Those are really pessimistic projections.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

FFcollusion....that was one of the finest pieces of writing i have ever read. i have tears streaming down my cheeks at this moment. you nailed it my man. fantastic. i took CP in the 14th round of a 15th round draft last nite and everyone laughed. i just smiled and said you never know......but i do.

Hope he shines this year......I grabbed him in the 14th round last nite as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FFCollusion said:

Updated for 2018:

image.png

 

936 of those rushing yards and 2,031 of those receiving yards are no longer on the team.

 

2,967 yards up for grabs.

 

And it wouldn't be unusual for Patterson to see most of those yards.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...