NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cordarrelle Patterson 2018 Outlook

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what we're looking at here is the NFL's 1st ever player to have 1,000 receiving yards, 1,000 rushing yards, 1,000 kick return yards, and 1,000 punt return yards all in the same season.  IDK ab

... and they'll insert him into their lineups due to a juicy matchup and he'll go 1/7/0.  

That's not really how it works though. Yes, Brady is far and away the best QB Patterson will ever play with but Brady won't necessarily be able to throw Patterson open. It's still up to Patterson to g

Posted Images

18 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Guys, look, this is extremely simple.  If your only definition of 'logic' is 'a 5 year track record of top 12 production' then this isn't the thread (arguably forum) for you.

The justification is very straight forward:

Athletic Freak Talent + Top 5 NFL Offense + Offensive opportunity + 16th round draft pick = Logical excitement/investment

It's really not that difficult.  We're not talking about a 5th round draft pick here, we're not even talking about putting him into your lineups yet, Jesus we're talking about a 16th round draft pick.  People are saying 'This guy has the talent and opportunity to become the #2 WR on the Patriots'.  That's it.  No one can guarantee he'll secure that job, or that he'll succeed in it, or that his deficiencies at the position won't get him into Bill's dog house before the season even starts.  We're just saying, this is the perfect type of flier to take late in fantasy drafts.  That's it.  No more, no less.

YOU are are saying that, which is a completely reasonable approach, however there are others in here with much loftier expectations.. Those saying that he's being groomed as a secret weapon of sorts, he's not returning kicks because he's got a larger role on offense, etc. Those are the non logical takes I was referring to. 

• Like 2
AndAndEric Decker - WR - Free Agent

Eric Decker announced his retirement via a written statement on Instagram.

Decker had not been officially released by the Patriots just yet but all signs pointed to it happening during final cuts. He penned "it is time to hang my helmet up and start a new chapter in my life," bringing an end to his successful eight-year career. He finishes with 439 catches, 5,816 yards, and 53 scores, a majority of his production occurring with the Broncos (with Peyton Manning) and Jets. The entire statement can be read in the link below.

And another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust...
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Guys, look, this is extremely simple.  If your only definition of 'logic' is 'a 5 year track record of top 12 production' then this isn't the thread (arguably forum) for you.

The justification is very straight forward:

Athletic Freak Talent + Top 5 NFL Offense + Offensive opportunity + 16th round draft pick = Logical excitement/investment

It's really not that difficult. 

I certainly think Patterson is somewhat interesting for alot of reasons already brought up.  Though I do disagree  with the some of the bold statements above which are mostly fueling his hype train.  

I just can't bring myself to anointing Patterson as an Athletic Freak Talent.  Aside from success returning kicks, he has hugely disappointed as a WR. Maybe he has the talent to take it to the house anywhere on the field but as a WR, he hasn't shown enough of that for me.. His TD #'s as a WR are very poor. 7TDs in 5 years.  Keep in mind, he was drafted to have an instant impact in MN so it's not like he didn't get opportunities.  He just didn't make anything out of them aside from returning kicks.  Maybe he'll get significant offensive opportunity in NE, maybe he won't.  Which brings me to his situation not being difficult.  This is a Belichick offense isn't it? And his name isn't Brady or Gronk, so I gather this is very difficult to gauge.  

That being said, he does cost almost nothing. So go for it.  

Edited by mikeflavaz
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, FFCollusion said:
AndAndEric Decker - WR - Free Agent

Eric Decker announced his retirement via a written statement on Instagram.

Decker had not been officially released by the Patriots just yet but all signs pointed to it happening during final cuts. He penned "it is time to hang my helmet up and start a new chapter in my life," bringing an end to his successful eight-year career. He finishes with 439 catches, 5,816 yards, and 53 scores, a majority of his production occurring with the Broncos (with Peyton Manning) and Jets. The entire statement can be read in the link below.

And another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust...

Things are shaping up real nice for Patterson. 

On 8/26/2018 at 2:12 PM, gbill2004 said:

Things are shaping up real nice for Patterson. 

I thought you were trolling at first but looking at the roster in your sig, I guess not. 

CP is all raw athletic ability but dumber than a box of rocks. He hasn't had any success as a WR in the NFL because he can't run routes or learn playbooks. We've seen this story so many times. Some players have it and some don't. This guy doesn't have it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, n4sa said:

CP is all raw athletic ability but dumber than a box of rocks. He hasn't had any success as a WR in the NFL because he can't run routes or learn playbooks. We've seen this story so many times. Some players have it and some don't. This guy doesn't have it.

#realtalk

He is their WR3 at least for this month and in a league that rewards yardage on eturns I think he’ll be quite lovely in my flex spot 

If this guy can put the talent / mental aspect of the game together, he’s going to win people leagues. If he doesn’t, whatever you drafted him when people started reaching for kickers

It is actually possible for players to improve and/or a staff figures out exactly how to use a player effectively. He’s a freak of nature coached by Bill Belichek and there’s not much completion in front of him for WR reps. I’ll take the risk.

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast
On 8/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, MoonBlaster said:

YOU are are saying that, which is a completely reasonable approach, however there are others in here with much loftier expectations.. Those saying that he's being groomed as a secret weapon of sorts, he's not returning kicks because he's got a larger role on offense, etc. Those are the non logical takes I was referring to. 

He's gonna return kicks. 

On 8/26/2018 at 3:40 PM, mikeflavaz said:

I certainly think Patterson is somewhat interesting for alot of reasons already brought up.  Though I do disagree  with the some of the bold statements above which are mostly fueling his hype train.  

I just can't bring myself to anointing Patterson as an Athletic Freak Talent.  Aside from success returning kicks, he has hugely disappointed as a WR. Maybe he has the talent to take it to the house anywhere on the field but as a WR, he hasn't shown enough of that for me.. His TD #'s as a WR are very poor. 7TDs in 5 years.  Keep in mind, he was drafted to have an instant impact in MN so it's not like he didn't get opportunities.  He just didn't make anything out of them aside from returning kicks.  Maybe he'll get significant offensive opportunity in NE, maybe he won't.  Which brings me to his situation not being difficult.  This is a Belichick offense isn't it? And his name isn't Brady or Gronk, so I gather this is very difficult to gauge.  

That being said, he does cost almost nothing. So go for it.  

He wasn't the only one. Before case keenum last year Vikings receivers were mostly busts. 

Treadwell and Johnson fared no better. 

Cpatt has a ton of athletic measurables and we frequently see it on the field when he touches the ball. 

Biggest question for him has been, "what's holding him back?" Some think he's just dumb and can't do it. 

I don't. I think this is year where talent meets opportunity and it's put up or shut up time. 

His “competition” is a suspended 32 year old coming off a torn up knee and Philip Dorsett, 1 first round bust in every sense of the word.

and yet, NE felt confident enough rolling with this group of players into the season ... I’m gonna go ahead and think it had something to do with what they saw every day in practice (or in preseason, as he made several jaw dropping plays in live action in addition to routinely having camp’s “catch of the day”)

For the price of a kicker, you can get an extremely talented player with little completion for playing time with a coach and QB who’ve made the most out of pretty much anyone they acquire. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

His “competition” is a suspended 32 year old coming off a torn up knee and Philip Dorsett, 1 first round bust in every sense of the word.

and yet, NE felt confident enough rolling with this group of players into the season ... I’m gonna go ahead and think it had something to do with what they saw every day in practice (or in preseason, as he made several jaw dropping plays in live action in addition to routinely having camp’s “catch of the day”)

For the price of a kicker, you can get an extremely talented player with little completion for playing time with a coach and QB who’ve made the most out of pretty much anyone they acquire. 

I don't know if confident is the right word. More like they are all they had left after injuries.

10 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

So much this. 

3 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

I don't know if confident is the right word. More like they are all they had left after injuries.

and have done nothing to replace them / find competition 

its almost as if they like what they’ve seen 

this is playing for Belichek now. 

Gronk

Hogan

Edelman

White

Those are all guys who will likely be targeted more than Patterson. Michel and Burkhead will get targets too. Sure, Patterson will be involved. His skillset is decently suited to their dink and dunk passing offense. But how many targets per game do you really think he'll get? He's actually sitting on the wire in my deep bench 12 team league, and I have no intention of changing that. Just far more attractive end of bench stashes IMO

• Like 2
1 minute ago, owenmills said:

Gronk

Hogan

Edelman

White

Those are all guys who will likely be targeted more than Patterson. Michel and Burkhead will get targets too. Sure, Patterson will be involved. His skillset is decently suited to their dink and dunk passing offense. But how many targets per game do you really think he'll get? He's actually sitting on the wire in my deep bench 12 team league, and I have no intention of changing that. Just far more attractive end of bench stashes IMO

Edelman is suspended a month, Patterson can have an impact in the run/pass/return game

I’d love to know these “far more attractive” bench stashes

1 minute ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Edelman is suspended a month, Patterson can have an impact in the run/pass/return game

I’d love to know these “far more attractive” bench stashes

?

If we're talking heavy return yardage leagues the conversation changes. You can't come here and relentlessly tout a guy because of his return yardage potential when 80% of the leagues don't factor that in very much, unless you preface every post with that tidbit. 

And, are you touting Patterson as a desperation rental for 4 weeks, because I haven't seen that tone in your posts. I don't even think he'll be that, but that is one angle you could take I suppose.

I'm on board with Patterson and Dorsett as nice bench stashes, depending on league format.

FWIW, Dorsett has been running with the first team for a while now in their base 11 formation (3WR, TE, RB) with Hogan and Edelman. Obviously with Edelman out 4 weeks, that leaves a spot open for a guy like Patterson.

Rumors beem floating around here for a bit now that they will add another WR via trade. A few names mentioned have been DT, Sanders, Cobb, Golden Tate, Parker. 

If that happens, Dorsett and CP84 will probably be afterthoughts.

2 minutes ago, owenmills said:

?

If we're talking heavy return yardage leagues the conversation changes. You can't come here and relentlessly tout a guy because of his return yardage potential when 80% of the leagues don't factor that in very much, unless you preface every post with that tidbit. 

And, are you touting Patterson as a desperation rental for 4 weeks, because I haven't seen that tone in your posts. I don't even think he'll be that, but that is one angle you could take I suppose.

Mentioning his impact on the return game qualifies as “relentless touting”? 

May wanna up your dosage or make it twice a day. 

4 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Mentioning his impact on the return game qualifies as “relentless touting”? 

May wanna up your dosage or make it twice a day. 

You've been in this thread relentlessly touting him. Seriously, how many posts in this thread do you have? My point is, his return game usage is irrelevant to most leagues. Even in mine where TDs count it just doesn't move the needle. (are you still following??)

I'm not getting into a back & forth with you and contributing to derailing another thread as you've done so often since you can't stop arguing. But I am the contrarian on Patterson. He'll have a big game now & then, but will mostly be a minor cog in the Pat's offense. Not the kind of guy who will help your fantasy team unless you somehow know exactly which weeks he'll make a big play. 

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, n4sa said:

This guy is going to help the patriots win games, but he won't be helping your fantasy team. 

Exactly this.  Why are we taking about CP? Brady has Gronk, Burk, Hogan, White, and Dorsett to toss to.  He needs a fortunate set of circumstances to contribute to your fantasy team unless you count return yards.