NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Shane Baz SP TB

kmoore1521

he is the 3rd player the rays are getting from the pirates in the Chris Archer deal

Baz, who was selected No.12 overall last year, certainly qualifies as a substantial third piece. The 19-year-old owns a 3.91 ERA with 73 strikeouts over his first 69 innings in pro ball. He was one of Pittsburgh's best pitching prospects, so the Rays did very well in this deal.

cant wait to see how the Rays develop another gem arm

What a steal for Tampa Bay. I haven't been this impressed with a prospect haul in a trade in quite some time. 

Baz has disgusting stuff and has already made some improvements this season from last. Hes another big arm for pitching coach Kyle Snyder to work with who has done wonders for Snell and possibly now Glasnow. 

The Rays are building something special here...

Just curious as to how you guys would rank and rate the three players the Rays got in this deal.  What percentage of the value of this haul would you assign to each of Meadows, Glasnow, and Baz? Assuming a 100% scale.

Edited by Halo Fan

• 5 months later...
On 8/17/2018 at 5:24 AM, Halo Fan said:

Just curious as to how you guys would rank and rate the three players the Rays got in this deal.  What percentage of the value of this haul would you assign to each of Meadows, Glasnow, and Baz? Assuming a 100% scale.

cool question

I'd go 

Glasnow 45

Meadows 45

Baz 10

maybe 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2019 at 8:50 AM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

cool question

I'd go 

Glasnow 45

Meadows 45

Baz 10

maybe 

Glasnow and Meadows are about equal value in your eyes? I agree. I was asking this because the Meadows owner in my NL league was convinced that he took the greatest value loss in this deal, by a long shot. Thanks for the reply. 

• 4 months later...

Looking like a new pitcher with the Rays system now. Allegedly touched 100 MPH in a game yesterday and sat 95-97 most of the game. The Archer trade is the gift that keeps giving.

25 IP, 14 H, 32 K, 7 BB for A ball Bowling Green thus far.

Edited by killa3312

43 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Looking like a new pitcher with the Rays system now. Allegedly touched 100 MPH in a game yesterday and sat 95-97 most of the game. The Archer trade is the gift that keeps giving.

25 IP, 14 H, 32 K, 7 BB for A ball Bowling Green thus far.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Pittsburgh is one of the worst organizations in MLB at recognizing and developing talent correctly.

Back at the time of the trade, I wouldn't have even done Glasnow by himself for that over rated schmuck, Chris Archer. But Pittsburgh thought that was a good idea PLUS throwing in Meadows and Baz for giggle drops. Hilarious organization. LOL.

Edited by ThreadKiller

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t know how to post twitter links nor do I use it, but apparently Baz was hitting 100 MPH with regularity last night and was also featuring a slider in the low 90s. Despite that, he still only struck out two and walked four. One of the writers at BP called him a monster with four plus pitches. Sounds like this kid has absurd upside but is super raw. A couple more seasons in the minors with the Rays who know how to develop pitching and he could be incredible.

• 1 year later...

Off to a good start in AA, really the only Rays prospect worth following in Montgomery this season. 12.2 IP with 17 K’s and more importantly and impressively, only one walk thus far. His stuff is electric, exciting to see if he can keep the walks down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rays' Shane Baz: Dominating at Double-A level |

Baz owns a 2.93 ERA, 0.88 WHIP and 43:2 K:BB across the 27.2 innings covering his six starts for Double-A Montgomery thus far in 2021.

The right-hander has been a tough-luck loser on multiple occasions as evidenced by his 1-4 mark. However, his ability to consistently miss bats has led to Baz leading the Double-A South division in strikeouts, while his 1.9 percent walk rate checks in as the second best at the Double-A level and seventh in all of MiLB, Biscuits play-by-play announcer Chris Adams-Wall reports. Baz also impressed during spring training this year, effectively incorporating a changeup into an arsenal that already included a high-90s fastball and slider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

He could be better than Glasnow and has the highest upside of any starter in the minors. I dare you to find 10 pitchers in baseball with better stuff than him, it’s absurdly good stuff. And that walk rate, man. That Archer trade, lol.

Edited by killa3312
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

He could be better than Glasnow and has the highest upside of any starter in the minors. I dare you to find 10 pitchers in baseball with better stuff than him, it’s absurdly good stuff. And that walk rate, man. That Archer trade, lol.

I think outside of Grayson Rodriguez you are correct. If you are talking safer bets then he moves down the list, but on pure upside he is my #2.

49/2 K/BB ratio now, that’s absurd. His biggest knock was his control and now he isn’t walking anybody at all, it’s insane. No organization maximizes a pitchers abiltiies more than the Rays. His fastball and slider are both legitimate 70 grade pitches, by the way.