NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vidal Brujan, 2B, TB

Yet another Tampa youngster who looks like he could be special. Ralph Lif****z wrote a great piece on him a few days ago over at razzball: https://razzball.com/minor-league-update-introducing-brujan-da-59/

Im shocked theres not more buzz on him. I especially like that he has improved at each level.

He reminds me of Ozzie Albies early on when he was coming up in the minors before he started adding significantly more power. Maybe Brujan can do the same? Even if he doesn't, I think he could hit 15 HRs in the MLB with SBs, lots of runs and a great avg and OBP. I'm all in on Brujan and Franco for TB. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without looking at your team, you have the room. 

Oh, that absolutely isn't true in the slightest.   Brujan has to prove that upon his callup he WON'T rank in the top 22% (rounded to the nearest whole number) in total service in the class of Pla

Honestly at this point I'll friggin take 10 sbs from anyone 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's certainly nearing top 100 fantasy prospect, probably between 100-150 for me now, but a strong finish could change that.

The one tool that has dinged Brujan's future value (FV) has been his power. 

But I just love his athleticism and the value he brings across the board -- speed, defense, bat to ball ability, control of the strike zone where he has walked more than struck out the year.

I can see an evaluator not liking Brujan, 20, because of his power, so I guess 100-150 is fair. 

But on the flip side, look at Keston Hiura, 22. He's two years older and he's a more highly regarded 2B than Brujan because of his "hit tool" and innate ability to go bat to ball. But is Hiura really that much more impressive? He has an aggressive approach, he doesn't walk much, is a good, not great athlete, has questionable defense. How many guys with a 95K/30 BB ratio make it work at the major league level?

I'm keeping an open mind on Brujan because I've seen subpar power tool guys develop it in modern day baseball more than ever.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WestTexasGM said:

The one tool that has dinged Brujan's future value (FV) has been his power. 

But I just love his athleticism and the value he brings across the board -- speed, defense, bat to ball ability, control of the strike zone where he has walked more than struck out the year.

I can see an evaluator not liking Brujan, 20, because of his power, so I guess 100-150 is fair. 

But on the flip side, look at Keston Hiura, 22. He's two years older and he's a more highly regarded 2B than Brujan because of his "hit tool" and innate ability to go bat to ball. But is Hiura really that much more impressive? He has an aggressive approach, he doesn't walk much, is a good, not great athlete, has questionable defense. How many guys with a 95K/30 BB ratio make it work at the major league level?

I'm keeping an open mind on Brujan because I've seen subpar power tool guys develop it in modern day baseball more than ever.

I agree with all of this, I'm becoming more optimistic on his power. He would be in my top 100 for sure, 100-150 i guess is just more of an objective overview of how most sites would treat him now,  but he's definitely going to start creeping in other peoples 100 soon enough.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Not only did he jumped to top 100 list in 2019, but the Top 3 "Most Trusted Prospects Ranking" sites all have him top 50!

FG  #26

PL #33

IBW #38

I think to this point, he might still be a bit underrated; but I think the ranking will continue to creep up! His floor is already pretty amazing, if he ever develops some more power! OK I am drooling now... lol

I love this rays system. It’s entirely possible I’ll have a Lowe - Brujan - Wander infield with McKay in my rotation. Just really fantastic prospects who can give you very different things.

For Brujan, even without the power profile (which even then has started to creep up) his on base skills and speed make him a more dangerous Dee Gordon. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, FantasyFiend said:

Brandon's Lowe's 6 year extension hurts Vidal's timeline?

Not sure it could. It may impact his position, but I've heard speculation that he's a CFer longterm anyhow. The Rays can slowplay prospects, but not for 6 years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 1:07 PM, FantasyFiend said:

Brandon's Lowe's 6 year extension hurts Vidal's timeline?

Lowe plays his share of OF and the Rays have used him as a DH this year. I don't think he slows down Brujan's timeline at all. The Rays are creative. They find ways to get players on the field and maximize utility. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 4:26 PM, jorp said:

Hasn't been mentioned here, but he was placed on the IL on May 24th. Haven't seen anything about why, or when he might be back.

Following up on this, anyone have anything on why he went on the IL?

• 2 weeks later...

Back and raking. Hopefully he can move up the ladder soon, he's quite old to still be in A ball. Wanna see what he can do with a good chunk of time at AA, and maybe he can be in contention for a call next year.

I would be a cautious about him.  These one dimensional speed demons in the minors rarely do much in the majors

He's old for his league, and he can't consistently get over .120 isolate slugging.

Joey Gathright, Ezequiel Carrera, Eric Young, Jr., Freddy Guzman, Quentin Berry, Jerry Owens, Wayne Lydon, Nyjer Morgan, etc.  If a player can't consistently surpass a .120 IsoP, I wouldn't waste time on them because if they can't hit for any power in the minors, they are going to get eaten up in the majors.

There are, of course, stories of these guys (like Brett Gardner who had a .95 IsoP in the minors but is .150 in the majors) who find the power and can stay up.  Or guys like Juan Pierre who had a .60 IsoP in the minors who never find power, but still manage to slap enough singles around to keep their job.  Or you have guys like Billy Hamilton (.97 IsoP)or Rajai Davis (.105 IsoP in the minors) who never really find power (though Rajai did have a .118 IsoP in the majors) and eek out a bottom of the barrel single category SB value in fantasy.  

But the success rate is so rare.  You can look at the fangraphs minor league leaders every year going back to 2006, and if you sort by most steals, you'll see a list of nobodies.  Because they can't hit.

Brujan does have a little more power (.124 IsoP) but look at Eric Young Jr.  Very similar profile to Brujan and he just failed time and time again. 

19 minutes ago, The Man said:

I would be a cautious about him.  These one dimensional speed demons in the minors rarely do much in the majors

He's old for his league, and he can't consistently get over .120 isolate slugging.

Joey Gathright, Ezequiel Carrera, Eric Young, Jr., Freddy Guzman, Quentin Berry, Jerry Owens, Wayne Lydon, Nyjer Morgan, etc.  If a player can't consistently surpass a .120 IsoP, I wouldn't waste time on them because if they can't hit for any power in the minors, they are going to get eaten up in the majors.

There are, of course, stories of these guys (like Brett Gardner who had a .95 IsoP in the minors but is .150 in the majors) who find the power and can stay up.  Or guys like Juan Pierre who had a .60 IsoP in the minors who never find power, but still manage to slap enough singles around to keep their job.  Or you have guys like Billy Hamilton (.97 IsoP)or Rajai Davis (.105 IsoP in the minors) who never really find power (though Rajai did have a .118 IsoP in the majors) and eek out a bottom of the barrel single category SB value in fantasy.  

But the success rate is so rare.  You can look at the fangraphs minor league leaders every year going back to 2006, and if you sort by most steals, you'll see a list of nobodies.  Because they can't hit.

Brujan does have a little more power (.124 IsoP) but look at Eric Young Jr.  Very similar profile to Brujan and he just failed time and time again. 

Would Xavier Edwards be a player that’s an exception to this? He seems to be hitting for a ton of avg so far.

yes, he would be for me.  I haven't done a study, but it definitely seems to me that players who can't consistently beat .100 IsoP in the minors, just have no shot in the majors.  It's entirely possible that the entire SD Padres organization knows more than me.  12 extra base hits in 65 games is pretty scary.  He has like a .390 BABIP right now in the minors.  Better pitchers would challenge him more.  Better fielders would throw him out more often.    The fact that he doesn't strike out much will certainly help him get on base, but this profile of hitter (tiny power, lots of speed) has always concerned me because I just feel like the failure rate is so high.

1 hour ago, The Man said:

yes, he would be for me.  I haven't done a study, but it definitely seems to me that players who can't consistently beat .100 IsoP in the minors, just have no shot in the majors.  It's entirely possible that the entire SD Padres organization knows more than me.  12 extra base hits in 65 games is pretty scary.  He has like a .390 BABIP right now in the minors.  Better pitchers would challenge him more.  Better fielders would throw him out more often.    The fact that he doesn't strike out much will certainly help him get on base, but this profile of hitter (tiny power, lots of speed) has always concerned me because I just feel like the failure rate is so high.

Are you in the right thread? Brujan has never finished a year with an ISO below .100. His BABIP is currently .343 (not at all high for a guy who hits  gets from home to first in < 4.2 sec). He's got a projected 60 hit tool with 5 HR in his last 200 AB. And he's not a Padre.

• Like 2