NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Vidal Brujan, 2B, TB

Letitbe793

4 hours ago, BillyMartinTrailer said:

But I don't feel like Tampa Bay is close minded either. They're not platooning for the hell of it. They're not platooning Barry Bonds. 

Randy Arozarena, Austin Meadows and Brandon Lowe lead the team in at-bats this year, the three players you would expect to play the most on their roster.

Four of Brujan's seven HR this year have come against LHP, so I wouldn't close the door on him having a role more like Arozarena, Meadows and Lowe. 

So who does he kick out?  They have a glut of very good OF, their infield is crowded as f--- as well.  They need a trade if you want him to have the role you’re speaking of.  The Rays won’t waste productive players 

48 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

So who does he kick out?  They have a glut of very good OF, their infield is crowded as f--- as well.  They need a trade if you want him to have the role you’re speaking of.  The Rays won’t waste productive players 

Despite the glut of very good OF, Brett Phillips has started the last three games. Kevin Kiermeier has started two of the three. These things tend to work themselves out, even on the Rays. 

Brujan and Franco have the dynamic ability to take the Rays up another notch and if they perform, they're going to get their shot. It's like that for any team's situation. 

But this is all predicated though on them putting up numbers. If they don't put up gaudy numbers, of course, they're going to get platooned.

But if Franco puts up a .900 OPS, he's not going to be dicked around like he's Mike Brousseau for long. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 11:28 AM, BillyMartinTrailer said:

But I don't feel like Tampa Bay is close minded either. They're not platooning for the hell of it. They're not platooning Barry Bonds. 

Randy Arozarena, Austin Meadows and Brandon Lowe lead the team in at-bats this year, the three players you would expect to play the most on their roster.

Four of Brujan's seven HR this year have come against LHP, so I wouldn't close the door on him having a role more like Arozarena, Meadows and Lowe. 

Lowe spends a lot of time on the bench against LHP'ers. And players like Brousard and Diaz play cause they kill LHP. If only they didn't have them LOL

On 5/25/2021 at 4:17 PM, street sharks said:

any good comps for brujan?

Juan Pierre little more power, not as many steals? Offensive wise 🤷🏻‍♂️

23 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Sooooo when this cat is brought up - thoughts on if the Rays actually have somewhere to start him every day?

Every day? Doubt it. Maybe 4 starts a week (maybe) between the infield and outfield.

12 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Sooooo when this cat is brought up - thoughts on if the Rays actually have somewhere to start him every day?

I don't know where he'd play right now, other than giving guys days off and filling in for injured players. If Kiermaier is healthy, he's the CF, period. Meadows is going to play. Margot hasn't been bad, and there's Arozarena. They have plenty of options at DH. The road for Wander is easier to see for me than Brujan...if Walls struggles with the stick, Wander is an easy call-up to replace him. 

Whatever formula they're using is working...tied for the best record in baseball at the moment. How much do they want to mess with the apple cart? 

38 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't know where he'd play right now, other than giving guys days off and filling in for injured players. If Kiermaier is healthy, he's the CF, period. Meadows is going to play. Margot hasn't been bad, and there's Arozarena. They have plenty of options at DH. The road for Wander is easier to see for me than Brujan...if Walls struggles with the stick, Wander is an easy call-up to replace him. 

Whatever formula they're using is working...tied for the best record in baseball at the moment. How much do they want to mess with the apple cart? 

I hate to say it, but you're so right.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.   Even Choi is killing it.   The seemingly most obvious path is 2b, although quality Utility players can get around 500 ABs over 162 games without a starting spot all year.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I hate to say it, but you're so right.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.   Even Choi is killing it.   The seemingly most obvious path is 2b, although quality Utility players can get around 500 ABs over 162 games without a starting spot all year.  

That would make him that much more valuable with three position eligibility, at a minimum.

37 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I think he might unironically replace Brandon Lowe before long lol.  Forget the outfield situation, Lowe has been one of the worst players in the majors

The Rays are as good as they are with players like Lowe, Brosseau, and Wendy’s getting a bunch of playing time. Wendell isn’t awful but he isn’t anything special. Imagine how much better they’d be with Franco and Brujan up. Service time manipulation better be a huge topic of conversation at the next CBA meetings.

• Like 2

I don’t know how much longer the Rays can justify playing Brandon Lowe...

feel like he’s been hitting under the Mendoza line all season, he’s ranked 6th in strikeouts (almost 36% K rate)...he just doesn’t feel like any kind of threat anymore...

Brujan is a legit 50-SB guy. And feels like a major upgrade. Imagine the Rays having Brujan and Wander, and not having to rely on Lowe hitting 1st, 2nd or 3rd

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I don’t know how much longer the Rays can justify playing Brandon Lowe...

feel like he’s been hitting under the Mendoza line all season, he’s ranked 6th in strikeouts (almost 36% K rate)...he just doesn’t feel like any kind of threat anymore...

Brujan is a legit 50-SB guy. And feels like a major upgrade. Imagine the Rays having Brujan and Wander, and not having to rely on Lowe hitting 1st, 2nd or 3rd

The Rays?  Oh they will justify anything to reduce costs 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BMcP said:

The Rays?  Oh they will justify anything to reduce costs 

The luxury of the best record in the American League certainly doesn't hurt either; but absolutely, the low revenue generating Rays have every incentive to manipulate whatever financial flexibility rules the current CBA allows them to while they still can.

• Like 1

Surely, by two Sunday's (20th) from now he'll be up. Might have been jumping the gun back in May to expect an immediate callup, but it's borderline shocking if Brujan gets past June without getting the call.

So, henceforth starts the 14 day countdown. Fingers crossed.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Surely, by two Sunday's (20th) from now he'll be up. Might have been jumping the gun back in May to expect an immediate callup, but it's borderline shocking if Brujan gets past June without getting the call.

So, henceforth starts the 14 day countdown. Fingers crossed.

Do you think he's up before Wander?

Edited by kwelch

9 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Do you think he's up before Wander?

Considering their age, I imagine so. Though I don't have shares in Wander, only Brujan, so I might be bias. The other thing to consider is the many positions Vidal has played at Durham.

I will say, my one concern about a callup is that Brujan has to wait for Franco to be ready, because the Rays want them to develop together, with a strong lineup in Triple A. Meaning, another trade might have to occur to clear space for both players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1