NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Vidal Brujan, 2B, TB

Letitbe793

5 minutes ago, Dark One said:

I think @Wytchclt55 is aware (particularly as a Rays fan), he was just specifically referencing Franco's situation as one where he could also be added to the 40 man in the event Glasnow gets added to the 60 day IL (which seems inevitable). In other words, the potentially difficult hurdle of adding Franco to the 40 man has a clear path to being cleared, which could allow one (or both) of Brujan/Franco to be called up once the organization feels safe that the Super 2 date has passed.

I suppose that’s what happens when we talk about other players in other players outlooks. Thanks for the correction.  

29 minutes ago, Smallball said:

I suppose that’s what happens when we talk about other players in other players outlooks. Thanks for the correction.  

First of all I clearly say to start the paragraph about the 40-man spot “In the case of Franco…” as I was replying to a post that mentioned both Brujan and Franco. 
Second, it is relevant to mention Franco here as their call-ups do influence each other and I’m not sure how you can’t see that (or if you’re intentionally ignoring that to make a point). 
Throughout this thread the three biggest factors that have made people think Brujan has a lead on Franco for a call-up are 1. Out performing Franco 2. He’s already on the 40-man 3. He has more position versatility. Recently, reason number 1 has been faltering and I was replying to the Glasnow injury influence that now number 2 might also be cleared. Glasnow, Franco, Brosseau etc. will be mentioned in here because they are on subject for Brujan. 

5 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

I hope I’m right too but even I know I’m probably biased as a Rays fan. I am interested to see if this makes them shop harder for SP at the trade deadline. Brujan has been a name mentioned as a trade piece but knowing the rays I doubt they would do that. They usually view top prospects as “~6 year cheap talent” rather than “chips.” 
They have such success getting the most out of mediocre pitchers I feel like they’d trade for a Wacha or Rich Hill type rather than a (healthy) Scherzer type. I expect a trade before I expect an acceleration on Baz or McClanahan’s development, too. 

I think you’re on to something here… seems pretty plausible they are going to be buying a top SP here soon since I know they are in win now mode… but the question is with who? They have like 10 2bs, seems like Brujan does make sense considering how much he would net if traded… I was on the fence about a Brujan trade but now that Glasnow has gone down it makes a lot more sense now. 

Y’all act like Wander and Brujan are going to come in and dominate the league. I mean we literally just saw the second coming of Jesus (Kelenic) make his debut and he almost set the MLB record for most at bats in a row without a hit.  By the way I’m a fan of both Brujan and Wander, but having elite pitching is much more important for the Rays at this moment and not sure they could get what they want without selling a big piece. 

27 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

I think you’re on to something here… seems pretty plausible they are going to be buying a top SP here soon since I know they are in win now mode… but the question is with who? They have like 10 2bs, seems like Brujan does make sense considering how much he would net if traded… I was on the fence about a Brujan trade but now that Glasnow has gone down it makes a lot more sense now. 

Y’all act like Wander and Brujan are going to come in and dominate the league. I mean we literally just saw the second coming of Jesus (Kelenic) make his debut and he almost set the MLB record for most at bats in a row without a hit.  By the way I’m a fan of both Brujan and Wander, but having elite pitching is much more important for the Rays at this moment and not sure they could get what they want without selling a big piece. 

Yeah, but Wander is about two tiers above Kelenic as a prospect, which is no knock on him, but Wander is a different level caliber bat. He’s for his career way more walks than strikeouts and has one of the lowest K rates in all of minor league baseball. Kelenic has always had an issue with the strikeouts, not surprised he struggled out the gate.

0 for 4 again tonight and his slump continues. I’m suddenly having a hard time holding in a redraft, but I have the feeling as soon as I drop he’ll get hot again. Someone needs to make the sacrifice.

Just now, meh2 said:

0 for 4 again tonight and his slump continues. I’m suddenly having a hard time holding in a redraft, but I have the feeling as soon as I drop he’ll get hot again. Someone needs to make the sacrifice.

The important thing to look for is his walk to strikeout ratio is still really good even during the slump. That means he is seeing the ball well and just not getting results. It would be more alarming if he was just chasing crap and striking out all over the place. He’ll be fine.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m not sure I understand. Manipulate them even more? They’re not holding them down until next year, won’t be September call ups, so not sure what you’re thinking here.

It's well known teams mess with service time - The rays need to do this more than most teams due to limited payroll

I don't think you can completely rule out them not coming up until next year TBH, and def cant rule out just being a September callup either

6 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

I don't think you can completely rule out them not coming up until next year TBH, and def cant rule out just being a September callup either

While I get the logic - I don't think waiting until late April or late June/early July in 2022 is the current plan. They're right at the current year's Super 2 approximate date (meaning this year's "hold them down" financial incentive hurdles are just about cleared) and as of this moment they have the best record in baseball to boot. Other than Brandon Lowe swinging the bat better lately, I don't see a lot preventing potential call ups of either (even with Brujan's recent slump) to bolster the roster even further.

Edited by Dark One
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark One said:

While I get the logic - I don't think waiting until late April or late June/early July in 2022 is the current plan. They're right at the current year's Super 2 approximate date (meaning this year's "hold them down" financial incentive hurdles are just about cleared) and as of this moment they have the best record in baseball to boot. Other than Brandon Lowe swinging the bat better lately, I don't see a lot preventing potential call ups of either (even with Brujan's recent slump) to bolster the roster even further.

Hope you are right my man! #RaysUp

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, PhilaFanBoy said:

Surely, by two Sunday's (20th) from now he'll be up. Might have been jumping the gun back in May to expect an immediate callup, but it's borderline shocking if Brujan gets past June without getting the call.

So, henceforth starts the 14 day countdown. Fingers crossed.

We're at Day 10.

giphy.gif

Seriously though, it all comes down to next week and that Boston series at home starting June 22nd. If its the following Sunday (the 27th) and he hasn't gotten the call, the Rays clearly have a different timetable and I'm afraid it might be in August.

12 hours ago, Dark One said:

Busted out of his slump tonight, going 3 for 5 with a HR - let's hope he can get on a roll at the right time.

Yet the Rays continued their slump last night, losing their 5th in a row. I wonder if there's anyone in their farm system that could help out.

Back to back games with a home run (homered this afternoon). Rays return home from the west coast Tuesday against the Red Sox. Come on, it's got to be.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

18 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Apparently Franco is getting the call.  Would have been nice to see VB joining him.

What more does he have to prove down there? Seems like they were an inseparable pair.

They have a day off tomorrow. Maybe a roster move is made to ensure Brujan debuts also. The Adames trade was clearly to open up a spot for Wander. Now perhaps either Kiermaier, Margot or Wendle have to be moved to open 3B/OF. 

Only reason I imagine they'd keep him down is to trade him at the deadline. I didn't take too much weight to that, but who knows?

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

What more does he have to prove down there? Seems like they were an inseparable pair.

They have a day off tomorrow. Maybe a roster move is made to ensure Brujan debuts also. The Adames trade was clearly to open up a spot for Wander. Now perhaps either Kiermaier, Margot or Wendle have to be moved to open 3B/OF. 

Only reason I imagine they'd keep him down is to trade him at the deadline. I didn't take too much weight to that, but who knows?

Can't agree more.  For sure a bit puzzling, especially since he is already on their 40 man.  Similarly hoping that there is another move to free up room, or something to get him up with Wander.  Brujan is extremely versatile as well. Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I agree, I see Wander & Brujan like I see Albies & Acuna. 

Inseparable

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-inbox-vidal-brujan-callup-timeline?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

What does Franco’s callup mean in terms of a timeline for Vidal Bruján?
-- @skastenb1

There were those who thought Bruján might get called up before Franco, just because of his ability to also play the outfield. Obviously, that didn’t happen. Rather than have me wander (pun intended) through an answer, I’ve asked our Rays beat reporter Adam Berry, who was all over the Franco debut on Tuesday, to explain in a much more thorough manner:

“Nothing, really. The two aren’t connected. Franco essentially forced the Rays’ hand, showing he had nothing left to prove in Triple-A with the way that he hit, handled himself around the infield and checked all the off-the-field boxes they had set up for the final stage of his development. The Rays cleared the runway for him, too, basically creating playing time at shortstop and third base (and perhaps some second base) despite having a crowded infield with Franco, Joey Wendle and fellow prospect Taylor Walls -- all of whom can play second, third and short -- along with corner infielder Yandy Díaz, second baseman/outfielder Brandon Lowe and first baseman Ji-Man Choi.

Bruján is a very good prospect, but he’s different than Franco. The Rays have made flexibility a focus for him, bouncing him around the infield and outfield in Durham. He still has some room to improve in the outfield, working to improve his jumps and learning the intricacies of each spot. He got off to a tremendous start at the plate, which we covered in a recent Minor League notebook, but he also hit just .140/.254/.220 in a 14-game stretch from May 30-June 18. So it’s important to see how he bounces back from that, if he can prove he’s ready by making adjustments against pitchers who have had a chance to see him a couple times. The Rays’ willingness to call up Franco proves they probably won’t hesitate to do the same with the man he spent his time in Durham batting behind, but in Bruján's case, it’s more a matter of opportunity.

Put simply, who do you see the Rays bumping off their current roster to make room for him or fellow prospect Josh Lowe, an athletic outfielder who’s been tearing it up at the plate for Durham? They’re not likely to make a reactionary decision and give up on an important player who’s performed well in the past, like Brandon Lowe. They won’t move on from proven elite defenders in the outfield like Kevin Kiermaier, Brett Phillips and Manuel Margot either, given their focus on run prevention. So if there’s another position-player prospect promotion coming in the immediate future, whether it’s Bruján or Josh Lowe, it’s more likely to be because an injury or some other circumstance created a need to fill.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PhilaFanBoy said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-inbox-vidal-brujan-callup-timeline?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

What does Franco’s callup mean in terms of a timeline for Vidal Bruján?
-- @skastenb1

There were those who thought Bruján might get called up before Franco, just because of his ability to also play the outfield. Obviously, that didn’t happen. Rather than have me wander (pun intended) through an answer, I’ve asked our Rays beat reporter Adam Berry, who was all over the Franco debut on Tuesday, to explain in a much more thorough manner:

“Nothing, really. The two aren’t connected. Franco essentially forced the Rays’ hand, showing he had nothing left to prove in Triple-A with the way that he hit, handled himself around the infield and checked all the off-the-field boxes they had set up for the final stage of his development. The Rays cleared the runway for him, too, basically creating playing time at shortstop and third base (and perhaps some second base) despite having a crowded infield with Franco, Joey Wendle and fellow prospect Taylor Walls -- all of whom can play second, third and short -- along with corner infielder Yandy Díaz, second baseman/outfielder Brandon Lowe and first baseman Ji-Man Choi.

Bruján is a very good prospect, but he’s different than Franco. The Rays have made flexibility a focus for him, bouncing him around the infield and outfield in Durham. He still has some room to improve in the outfield, working to improve his jumps and learning the intricacies of each spot. He got off to a tremendous start at the plate, which we covered in a recent Minor League notebook, but he also hit just .140/.254/.220 in a 14-game stretch from May 30-June 18. So it’s important to see how he bounces back from that, if he can prove he’s ready by making adjustments against pitchers who have had a chance to see him a couple times. The Rays’ willingness to call up Franco proves they probably won’t hesitate to do the same with the man he spent his time in Durham batting behind, but in Bruján's case, it’s more a matter of opportunity.

Put simply, who do you see the Rays bumping off their current roster to make room for him or fellow prospect Josh Lowe, an athletic outfielder who’s been tearing it up at the plate for Durham? They’re not likely to make a reactionary decision and give up on an important player who’s performed well in the past, like Brandon Lowe. They won’t move on from proven elite defenders in the outfield like Kevin Kiermaier, Brett Phillips and Manuel Margot either, given their focus on run prevention. So if there’s another position-player prospect promotion coming in the immediate future, whether it’s Bruján or Josh Lowe, it’s more likely to be because an injury or some other circumstance created a need to fill.”

I thought the Red Sox series would be his callup. It turned out to be Wander. Not sure you can hedge your bets on him in redrafts anymore. at least for the next month or so. Like the article said, an injury could change all that (but even when Kiermaier was out for two weeks, they went Phillips/Margot)