Vidal Brujan, 2B, TB

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without looking at your team, you have the room. 

Oh, that absolutely isn't true in the slightest.   Brujan has to prove that upon his callup he WON'T rank in the top 22% (rounded to the nearest whole number) in total service in the class of Pla

Hes better than most of their current players

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Lead off homer off of Miles Mikolas tonight with a SB 

Playing CF tonight after starting the season opener last night in RF.

Margot and Phillips are playing capable baseball right now to keep Brujan in Durham but it’s only a matter of time.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 2:38 PM, Ecofolux said:

Does Vidal make his MLB debut before Wander?

They'll flip a coin to see who will get called up two days before the other in a completely futile effort to try to make their Super Two manipulation mildly less obvious.

• Haha 1
On 5/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, kwelch said:

Love that career minor league BB/K rate. 189/198!

That is amazing! So impressive. The main problem I see, and it’s a BIG one, is freaking platoon obsessed Tampa Bay. It’s a near certainty this kid, however great, will NOT get full-time ABs when called up, and that’s a huge detriment. 

32 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

That is amazing! So impressive. The main problem I see, and it’s a BIG one, is freaking platoon obsessed Tampa Bay. It’s a near certainty this kid, however great, will NOT get full-time ABs when called up, and that’s a huge detriment. 

Well, I think it’ll take a couple of OF injuries for him to be called up. If three of Arozarena, Meadows, Kiermaier, and Margot are healthy, I don’t believe he’ll be coming up. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Well, I think it’ll take a couple of OF injuries for him to be called up. If three of Arozarena, Meadows, Kiermaier, and Margot are healthy, I don’t believe he’ll be coming up. 

You do realise that brujan has been groomed to play 2B, right?? Which he played yesterday. TB has absolutely noone at 2B to hold him down. I think Adames is bad enough that Franco eventually slides into the SS role.

I believe the reason they're giving him looks in the OF is so he can platoon if need be. TB do like their switchblades. 

If he keeps raking there's no way they can keep him down for too long.

Edited by dave8809
39 minutes ago, dave8809 said:

You do realise that brujan has been groomed to play 2B, right?? Which he played yesterday. TB has absolutely noone at 2B to hold him down. I think Adames is bad enough that Franco eventually slides into the SS role.

I believe the reason they're giving him looks in the OF is so he can platoon if need be. TB do like their switchblades. 

They have Brandon Lowe. Hasn't been hitting well, but I'd assume he has a bit of a leash there. I'd assume that Brudan is getting OF work because of Lowe's presence. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dave8809 said:

You do realize you can post without the condescending tone, right?? Of course, I know he’s played 2B! And absolutely no one at 2B? You do realize that Brandon Lowe is at 2B, right?? When he makes it to the Majors, it’ll be to play the OF. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

You do realize you can post without the condescending tone, right?? Of course, I know he’s played 2B! And absolutely no one at 2B? You do realize that Brandon Lowe is at 2B, right?? When he makes it to the Majors, it’ll be to play the OF. 

My bad I'll absolutely eat crow on this one. For some reason I thought Lowe played more games in the OF than he has. All good. Brujan needs an injury in the OF or lowe to continue his downward trajectory.

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

Didn't look good.

Brujan is the obvious (only?) potential replacement on the 40-man if Kiermaier misses time. 

I immediately thought that too, then I realized which franchise we’re dealing with here. I’ll still be checking the Durham Bulls lineup for tonight’s 7:15 game though.

1 hour ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

Didn't look good.

Brujan is the obvious (only?) potential replacement on the 40-man if Kiermaier misses time. 

Isn't margot a really good cf?

3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Isn't margot a really good cf?

Defensively, yes. Margot could easily play there. If Kiermaier is out for any length of time, I think the argument is who to call up from the minors to fill the active roster slot? One answer is to shift Margot in center, Lowe into a corner outfield slot, and put Brujan at 2B. Long term, Brujan might best fit in CF. Though there's a lot of moving parts in there.

• Like 1

The power is impressive. Not that I'm expecting him to become a huge power guy all of a sudden. But his career high for HRs at any prior stop was 5 back in A ball. Not that Bruján tended to stay long at any place, but he did rack up 434 plate appearances to get those 5 HRs. He had 9 total dingers in 2018, but only 4 all of 2019. So to have 4 in one week is pretty notable. And really it was the one thing missing from his game (good hit tool, good batting eye, good fielder, excellent speed). Wander who? 😜

Posted (edited)

I'm loving the homers . . . except for the possibility that I might start getting trade offers where the other team wants him included in a trade.

Edited by dan
11 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The power is impressive. Not that I'm expecting him to become a huge power guy all of a sudden. But his career high for HRs at any prior stop was 5 back in A ball. Not that Bruján tended to stay long at any place, but he did rack up 434 plate appearances to get those 5 HRs. He had 9 total dingers in 2018, but only 4 all of 2019. So to have 4 in one week is pretty notable. And really it was the one thing missing from his game (good hit tool, good batting eye, good fielder, excellent speed). Wander who? 😜

I recall Bregman in his first minor league season also didn’t hit for much power and people weren’t sure if he ever would. Then during his second season he went on an early run and never looked back. Not saying I’m going to end up like Bregman, hopefully a bit better :)

ps: the 2 HRs were from both sides of the plate.

13 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It's not like you need him to be a huge power guy. Say if he could become a 20 to 25 Home Run Hitter and with what he has done this week that might be doable. But if you could get that with his speed and high batting Average that would be more then enough to become a huge Fantasy Monster.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Fantasy Monk said:

It's not like you need him to be a huge power guy. Say if he could become a 20 to 25 Home Run Hitter and with what he has done this week that might be doable. But if you could get that with his speed and high batting Average that would be more then enough to become a huge Fantasy Monster.

I actually think he wouldn't have to do THAT much (at least as far as the power). Prime Altuve was taken in the 1st round in a lot of drafts with the expectation of a plus plus average, 16-18 homers, and 35+ steals. I'm not convinced Brujan could be as much of a batting average title threat but the power potential (IF everything goes right) could be similar and Brujan could rack up the steals. And these days a player with a plus average and plus steals potential and some pop should be even more prized. The thing is I don't think I've ever received interest in him. Makes me think that this might be the last chance for people to "buy low" in keeper leagues.

Edited by dan

Guys, if Brujan hits a homer every single at-bat they will still keep him down until Super Two cutoff unless they suspect the next labor agreement won't grandfather the old agreement.