NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vidal Brujan, 2B, TB

30 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I'll be pretty surprised if I have to eat crow on the above prediction.  The Rays (probably justifiably) feel that 30-40 games of Brujan/Wander in 2021 is not worth the extra year of arbitration and the possible 15-25 million dollar salary hit years down the road (and, perhaps even more importantly, the significantly reduced trade value due to  the loss of an extra year of non-arb control).  

So do you think super 2 is still a possibility?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without looking at your team, you have the room. 

Oh, that absolutely isn't true in the slightest.   Brujan has to prove that upon his callup he WON'T rank in the top 22% (rounded to the nearest whole number) in total service in the class of Pla

Honestly at this point I'll friggin take 10 sbs from anyone 

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

So do you think super 2 is still a possibility?

I fully expect the Rays to call up Wander and Brujan (they'll probably stagger them a few days apart in a futile attempt to make their salary manipulation less obvious) as soon as the Super Two cut-off passes.  Historically that is somewhere in mid June.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It'll be interesting to see where Vidal plays once he gets to majors. He's at 3rd base tonight. Now he's played all 3 OF positions, plus 2nd & 3rd. Sounds like he might be used as a swiss army knife. Wander Franco has switched between 2B & SS.

I don't think the Rays will give up on Brandon Lowe, Willy Adames or Joey Wendle, so I wonder where they'll fit in the infield. It would seem like Brujan has the faster track with his ability to play in the outfield.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

It'll be interesting to see where Vidal plays once he gets to majors. He's at 3rd base tonight. Now he's played all 3 OF positions, plus 2nd & 3rd. Sounds like he might be used as a swiss army knife. Wander Franco has switched between 2B & SS.

I don't think the Rays will give up on Brandon Lowe, Willy Adames or Joey Wendle, so I wonder where they'll fit in the infield. It would seem like Brujan has the faster track with his ability to play in the outfield.

Thank you for bringing that up for discussion.  Indeed, it will be interesting to see how the Rays use Vidal upon call-up.  Vidal's potential to have a Swiss-Army Knife type eligibility for 2b, 3rd, SS, OF would make him an extremely valuable fantasy asset to own.  Can you imagine a prime Jose Reyes with four position eligibility?  In these uncertain times of the pandemic, multiple position versatility for your fantasy lineup can be a tremendous advantage.  

Edited by enyouartist
18 hours ago, Overlord said:

I'll be pretty surprised if I have to eat crow on the above prediction.  The Rays (probably justifiably) feel that 30-40 games of Brujan/Wander in 2021 is not worth the extra year of arbitration and the possible 15-25 million dollar salary hit years down the road (and, perhaps even more importantly, the significantly reduced trade value due to  the loss of an extra year of non-arb control).  

I will fully admit that I've never really understood the Super Two thing...so help an igmo? Are you saying that Brujan and/or Wander won't come up until 40 games into the season? Thanks...just looking for clarity. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Overlord said:

wait, are you saying no Wander in 2021?

8 minutes ago, 5catstud said:

wait, are you saying no Wander in 2021?

No he’s saying they will not call them up before super 2. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Smallball said:

No he’s saying they will not call them up before super 2. 

Yes, this.

Super Two is a formula whereby minor leaguers who are called up earlier in the year get an "extra" year of arbitration (four as opposed to three).  By holding players down while other players are called up you can manipulate this process to ensure a player gets three, as opposed to four, arb-eligible years.  For premier talent this is not a nominal difference, it is potentially 15-25 million dollars of extra salary.  The difference between Kris Bryant, who was Super Two eligible, and other superstars who are NOT is something like 14 million dollars last time I checked (I wish I could remember the player I used for comparison).  The Super Two cut-off is generally in June, but it changes from year to year as it is determined by the volume of minor leaguers promoted to the majors rather than a specific date.  Basically, you can trade roughly two months of a player's rookie year to save millions of dollar in salary down the road.  Just as important, those savings translate to drastically increased trade value.  

Here's a wikipedia entry on it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions#Super_Two

Edited by Overlord
  • Thanks 3

Another combo meal tonight. This guy just screams 5 category contributor. It’s too bad he’s in fantasy purgatory (a minor leaguer in the Rays’ system).

39 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Another combo meal tonight. This guy just screams 5 category contributor. It’s too bad he’s in fantasy purgatory (a minor leaguer in the Rays’ system).

He is going to get called up before Franco. Brujan is already on the TB 40 man roster and he is older than Franco. 

• Thanks 1

Should he be picked up in a 10 team league?  I'd like to snag him and see what happens, but I don't really have the luxury of sitting him on the bench for the next 4 weeks.  From what I hear people are saying after Super 2s deadline in mid June, but I don't know about Super 2s.  

Just my opinion and what I did in a few leagues where there's only 1 N/A roster spot available I ended up dropping Jo Adell in 3 leagues and grabbing Brujan instead....nothing to take away from Adell, it's just that I like Vidal's juice and swagger A LOT more and it's not close... Vidal looks more ready to contribute now and in all 5 categories. Call me crazy, that's fine. Also I prefer the 2B over the OF anyday.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Strikeforce316 said:

Just my opinion and what I did in a few leagues where there's only 1 N/A roster spot available I ended up dropping Jo Adell in 3 leagues and grabbing Brujan instead....nothing to take away from Adell, it's just that I like Vidal's juice and swagger A LOT more and it's not close... Vidal looks more ready to contribute now and in all 5 categories. Call me crazy, that's fine. Also I prefer the 2B over the OF anyday.

Yea and Vidal will be both 2B and OF after his first 5 starts, assuming that's why he has been starting in all three parts of the OF...

• Thanks 3
On 5/15/2021 at 10:49 PM, einstein2u said:

where is the hidden power?  maybe with a covid season, he locked something, new batting stance?  but i am excited.  thought he was dee gordon 2.0

I didn’t know he’d show this kind of power, but in 2019, Brujan his more HR than Gordon has hit in his entire minor league career. 

Posted (edited)

If someone has the time I would love to know why and when the Super 2 Rule was implemented.  I know the general rule itself but I have never understood why it was put into place.  I get baseball is very different from other sports in that players generally need more time to develop before they are ready to play at the top level.  In other sports the minute a draft pick signs their rookie contract the clock is ticking on that contract.  There is no well if we sit him this year it won't count towards the whatever year deal he signed.  Why does baseball have to be different in these regards?  Sure some guys take longer to develop but some are ready the day they are drafted yet we have to wait years to see them in most cases.  What better way to inject some life into a sport that is struggling then to have young kids playing when they are ready instead of running out guys who can't hit .200 anymore.  Forget the fantasy side of it just imagine your team misses the playoffs by a game or 2 when you know that they didn't run out their best possible team all year just to save a few bucks.  It's not even just a Rays thing there are plenty of big market teams that do this exact same BS every year.  

P.S. Sorry for the extreme run on babbling.  I am extremely tired but wanted to vent on this topic and didn't feel like using my spacebar anymore. 

Edited by knifeparty