NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vidal Brujan, 2B, TB

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

What are you all thinking about this sudden power? I was listening to a podcast, and it sounds like he put on some weight VS 2019... plus we don't know what he did during 2020. Is this legit? Seems some sites are hesitant, others are all for it...

Is he suddenly a 15HR guy? 10HR? I mean, realistically, if Brujan winds up a 10/40 .275 guy, that's going to be pretty excellent with his hit tool. 

EDIT: Is he going to stick at 2B or is he a CF? 

I’m not even close to a scout, or a talent evaluator of any kind, but I watched extended highlights from his 3sb game.   I’m probably going to get blasted for this, but all 3 of the steals looked like he would have been caught by a mlb catcher (no idea who the c actually was.). One of his steals, his jump was so big that he was half way to the base before the pitcher was in his windup.  The other 2 steals, it looked like he was beaten, but the throws were not even close.  That doesn’t change the fact that I own him, would pick him up if I didn’t, or am excited about him.  I just think 40+ is optimistic.

• Like 2
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without looking at your team, you have the room. 

Oh, that absolutely isn't true in the slightest.   Brujan has to prove that upon his callup he WON'T rank in the top 22% (rounded to the nearest whole number) in total service in the class of Pla

Honestly at this point I'll friggin take 10 sbs from anyone 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

I’m not even close to a scout, or a talent evaluator of any kind, but I watched extended highlights from his 3sb game.   I’m probably going to get blasted for this, but all 3 of the steals looked like he would have been caught by a mlb catcher (no idea who the c actually was.). One of his steals, his jump was so big that he was half way to the base before the pitcher was in his windup.  The other 2 steals, it looked like he was beaten, but the throws were not even close.  That doesn’t change the fact that I own him, would pick him up if I didn’t, or am excited about him.  I just think 40+ is optimistic.

So if he was half way to 2nd on one steal but a MLB catcher would have thrown him out on all 3 steals? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

source.gif

• Haha 4
23 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

So if he was half way to 2nd on one steal but a MLB catcher would have thrown him out on all 3 steals? 

He would have been picked off easy.

9 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

I like this objectivity. I don’t own him anywhere but I’m just a die hard Rays fan. Statistically he’s reminding me of an Ozzie Albies. A lot of people don’t remember this but Albies was lightning on the bases yet only hit 15 career MiLB HRs in 1700+ plate appearances. The moment he got called up his power skyrocketed (24 his first full MLB season) and now he’s lucky if he steals 15.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Well, I’m not sure if people want to get into the weeds but here we go. 
There are two ways to steal a base. 
1. Be super fast

2. Have the skill set where you can read pitchers and get a good jump. 

Number 2 is a learned skill and some guys are just straight great at it. I think about Goldy in his prime, guys like Chase Utley as well. Although Chase never stole a ton he wasn’t fast by any means. 

All that said, you can learn number 2. You can’t learn to be faster. Maybe a tenth here or there but your not going to study Ricky Henderson and be able to run faster. 

Brujan has a 70 grade speed skill. There aren’t a lot of players that ever get a 70 in speed. They can teach him to steal, but if he never develops the skill then yes he could be the next Albies. 

But I would rather have him be a burner than a sneaky base-stealer at 23. 

Very few players have the speed and instinct right off the bat. 

Edited by Smallball
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

What are you all thinking about this sudden power? I was listening to a podcast, and it sounds like he put on some weight VS 2019... plus we don't know what he did during 2020. Is this legit? Seems some sites are hesitant, others are all for it...

Is he suddenly a 15HR guy? 10HR? I mean, realistically, if Brujan winds up a 10/40 .275 guy, that's going to be pretty excellent with his hit tool. 

EDIT: Is he going to stick at 2B or is he a CF? 

He hit 9 HR in 2018, so I’ve always kinda expected him to be a 10-12 HR guy, as his body developed and as he got stronger, especially with this flyball revolution. 

And he’ll likely play multiple positions, as he’s done at Durham already. 

5 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

I like this objectivity. I don’t own him anywhere but I’m just a die hard Rays fan. Statistically he’s reminding me of an Ozzie Albies. A lot of people don’t remember this but Albies was lightning on the bases yet only hit 15 career MiLB HRs in 1700+ plate appearances. The moment he got called up his power skyrocketed (24 his first full MLB season) and now he’s lucky if he steals 15.

Albies didn’t steal bases at the same clip as Brujan, either. 

Doesn’t matter…the rays will never call him up to keep him on a minor contract and save money

Perhaps it's noteworthy that the Rays have been on the road since the Adames trade. They return home Tuesday against the Royals. With all the hype, the Rays might feel like Brujan or Franco should debut at home.

Wishful thinking, I'm sure.

But, I just can't help but feel like the Adames trade was a major one, within the clubhouse, mostly due to how well-liked he was. Maybe Taylor Walls can fill that hole, but it seems like another corresponding callup should be coming soon.

• Like 1

I gotta believe there is next to no chance that either Brujan or Wander get called up in the next three weeks. The Rays have a 6-game homestand between June 8-13, but that is too close to what is generally the Super 2 cutoff date, so the Rays won't risk bringing them up a day too early and losing a year of arbitration. The Rays then go on an 8-day road trip vs the White Sox and Mariners before returning home June 22 for a series against the first place Red Sox. That should be a big series and a good time to bring up the phenoms for the second half of the season.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:07 PM, PhilaFanBoy said:

But, I just can't help but feel like the Adames trade was a major one, within the clubhouse, mostly due to how well-liked he was. Maybe Taylor Walls can fill that hole, but it seems like another corresponding callup should be coming soon.

This cannot be said enough, that was a HUGE trade to make by the Rays

On 5/23/2021 at 12:51 PM, Baseball Batman said:

I gotta believe there is next to no chance that either Brujan or Wander get called up in the next three weeks. The Rays have a 6-game homestand between June 8-13, but that is too close to what is generally the Super 2 cutoff date, so the Rays won't risk bringing them up a day too early and losing a year of arbitration. The Rays then go on an 8-day road trip vs the White Sox and Mariners before returning home June 22 for a series against the first place Red Sox. That should be a big series and a good time to bring up the phenoms for the second half of the season.

This could be pretty accurate hah

Here’s the problem with the Rays.  They already have too much of a crowded team.  They have 5 outfielders who could legit play every day for other teams (the subpar batting ones, Margot, Kiermier and Phillips, still accumulate WAR because of defense and speed.   And then they have Randy and Meadows).  It would surprise me a lot to call up brujan and create a 6th outfielder (or for brujan to play 2B And Lowe becomes the 6th OF).  But the infield is arguably even messier, with timeshares all over the place and then Walls and eventually Wander.  How can the Rays justify bringing up Brujan unless they make a trade? 

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

Hes better than most of their current players

Yeah… some stats in AAA dont make hiM better than the current players, at the very least not enough to start his clock.  Check the WAR/g stats of all the outfielders and get back to me, the only one even moderately justifiable is Phillips and he only plays like 35% of the time.  The Rays value defense a lot 

8 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Yeah… some stats in AAA dont make hiM better than the current players, 

They should call him up to see if the MLB stats say if hes better

Just now, Fbaseballgod said:

Why do that when they have above average WAR players that they’d basically be wasting?

Because their offense sucks, need more players that get their WAR from offense not defense, whole OF of mediocre bats but great defense isnt a good mixture, gotta score to win

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Why do that when they have above average WAR players that they’d basically be wasting?

You sound like the dude that lost a bid on Brujan on your league or something. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, acunajrmvp said:

You sound like the dude that lost a bid on Brujan on your league or something. 

I don't own Brujan in any leagues.  I'm just stating facts.  I expect the Rays to make a trade before they call him up.

Margot's full AB pace of WAR: 2.5 WAR

Phillips: 1-1.5 WAR  -> But doesn't really play anyway that much

Meadows: ~3 WAR

Arozarena: ~4-4.5 WAR

Kiermier: 1-1.5 WAR.    -> But the Rays have under contract 

It's estimated that each WAR is about 8 million dollars per player, so you have something like this:

Margot being a 20 milllion per year player, Phillips a 10 million, Meadows a 24 million, Arozarena a 35 million, Kiermier a 10 million.

If you think about that in these terms, what benefit do they have to bring up Brujan just to usurp the system they have now that is producing massive amounts of WAR and has propelled them to like a 10 game win streak?  

The Rays are not wasteful.  But they are also practical.  Expect a trade, or expect Brujan to not get 100% playing time when he's called up 

Edit: Steamer has Brujan projected at 1.5ish WAR per season atm.  So you can do the math here 

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 2

I’m so impressed with this kid’s skill set. That said, Tampa would have platooned Willie Mays in his prime, so anyone expecting full-time ABs when he’s called up will be sorely disappointed.

4 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

I’m so impressed with this kid’s skill set. That said, Tampa would have platooned Willie Mays in his prime, so anyone expecting full-time ABs when he’s called up will be sorely disappointed.

spacer.png

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

first, hah well played

Second, being a Left Handed Hitter on the Rays is a death sentence. They platoon righties waaaay less (Look at Randy right now, Longo, BJ Upton for a real throwback)

With Brujan being a switch hitter, it should in theory help him, but i haven't looked into his minor league Right vs Lefty splits if anyone possibly has those off hand