NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vidal Brujan, 2B, TB

8 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

first, hah well played

Second, being a Left Handed Hitter on the Rays is a death sentence. They platoon righties waaaay less (Look at Randy right now, Longo, BJ Upton for a real throwback)

With Brujan being a switch hitter, it should in theory help him, but i haven't looked into his minor league Right vs Lefty splits if anyone possibly has those off hand

In 2019 he batted .301 as a lefty and just .202 as a righty. He’s platoon bound.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without looking at your team, you have the room. 

Oh, that absolutely isn't true in the slightest.   Brujan has to prove that upon his callup he WON'T rank in the top 22% (rounded to the nearest whole number) in total service in the class of Pla

Honestly at this point I'll friggin take 10 sbs from anyone 

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

In 2019 he batted .301 as a lefty and just .202 as a righty. He’s platoon bound.

Yea thats not ideal, could def see the Rays sitting him vs LHP which I HATE when teams do that to top prospects

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, nittanychris said:

You bring up a great point that is lost amongst the hype this year, especially with the Rays’ propensity to play data-driven matchups.  Your point certainly dampens the fantasy zest for those that did not think of his splits.  I was really hoping for prime José Reyes circa 2006-08, but this ceiling requires a full-time spot.

Edited by enyouartist
1 hour ago, Weekday Warrior said:

.259/.310/.704 vs LHP so far this year with 4 HRs, not too bad at all, maybe this is an area he improved on during the Covid year

Not bad, but a substantial difference none the less. 

All this doom and gloom about platooning and how Cash hates same handed matchups.

Here's the thing, KCash will play you everyday against everbody if you can hit.  You can look back last year with Arozarena.  When they finally gave him a chance with the big league club halfway through the season (1 month left), it was frustrating because he was strictly playing against lefties and maybe a righty here and there if he pinch hit earlier and was still in the game.  What happened next is that HE HIT.  when he showed he could hit he performed his way into playing everyday the last 10-15 days of the season (except a day off for rest) and then continued it through the playoffs.  He showed the team they were a ton better with him playing everyday than on the bench.

Next example, go look at Meadows in 2019.  When he came up it was mainly vs RHP then he performed his way into playing against both handed pitchers.  Same with B. Lowe when he was performing.  Now that they are both not hitting well against LHP, they don't play vs LHP.  It's as simple as that.

The Rays only care if you help or hurt them in winning.  That is the bottom line.  If you perform well and help them win, you play everyday.  If you only help them vs one type of pitcher, you only play vs that type of pitcher.  Does Cash give up on guys hitting same handed pitching if you're not doing great quicker than a lot of managers? I'm sure he does there is no "we'll give you time to figure it out and hit your way out of it."  But this idea that "oh man he'd be great if he got a chance" is not completely true.  If Brujan shows when he's on the field he is amazing vs everybody, he'll play full time.  Same goes for any players on the team.  Winning comes first.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

.259/.310/.704 vs LHP so far this year with 4 HRs, not too bad at all, maybe this is an area he improved on during the Covid year

46 minutes ago, enyouartist said:

Not bad, but a substantial difference none the less. 

There's a difference but I think I could live with that kind of difference.

I get what you guys are saying. But he’s too talented.. this dude will be playing everyday. I have zero doubts about that. 

I also liked the Jose Reyes in his prime comp. Reyes was a monster for a little bit back then and Brujan seems to be electric on base and with the bat just like it. 

26 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

I get what you guys are saying. But he’s too talented.. this dude will be playing everyday. I have zero doubts about that. 

I also liked the Jose Reyes in his prime comp. Reyes was a monster for a little bit back then and Brujan seems to be electric on base and with the bat just like it. 

I agree, I've been ignoring all the split stats and bullshit post all day. This kid is too talented.

4 hours ago, lucky3 said:

Rafael Furcal.

2 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Great comp and a throwback name for sure

Blast from the past. That brought me back to the days when Andruw Jones was supposed to be the next Willie Mays (as a hitter too). 

Well done using a comp for further back and not resorting to the most recent 2B like Ozzie Albies

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 5catstud said:

Blast from the past. That brought me back to the days when Andruw Jones was supposed to be the next Willie Mays (as a hitter too). 

Well done using a comp for further back and not resorting to the most recent 2B like Ozzie Albies

Andruw Jones in his 50hr year

15 hours ago, lucky3 said:

Rafael Furcal.

Whoa.

What a crazy good comp. Damn man. 
impressive. 

Furcal was an undersized middle infielder that was a monster. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Smallball said:

Whoa.

What a crazy good comp. Damn man. 
impressive. 

Furcal was an undersized middle infielder that was a monster. 

Yeah, Furcal was fun to watch. Both switch-hitting speedsters with adequate pop. Hopefully Brujan has a similar career.  

The Rays could use a leadoff hitter. Currently have Arozarena leading off. He's been doing well in that spot, but ideally I think you want him batting 3rd. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Strikeforce316 said:

He has nothing else to prove in AAA.

Oh, that absolutely isn't true in the slightest.  

Brujan has to prove that upon his callup he WON'T rank in the top 22% (rounded to the nearest whole number) in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

Until the Rays are satisfied that Brujan has proven he's within the above criteria, they will keep him in the minors even if he hits a home run on every single pitch he sees.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
On 5/25/2021 at 7:29 PM, lucky3 said:

Rafael Furcal.

I partied w/ Furcal one night in Buckhead at a bar/club... cool cat, and great comp for Brujan!

A few years back Brujan was intriguing for his speed potential, but from what I've seen and read he's developed like Lindor in a way... a guy revered for his glove and wheels, who suddenly bucks the scouts and starts hitting for legit power. Tired of the time manipulation for all these young guys, baseball needs all the positives and excitement it can get! MLB has the worst commissioner in any sport currently.

• Like 2
On 5/25/2021 at 5:05 PM, LarryDavid said:

I’m not doubting the kid’s talent at all. His numbers are incredibly impressive, in particular his plate discipline.

The issue is Tampa Bay’s system wide philosophy. There are tons of examples of their extreme love of platoons and babying starting pitchers (unrelated here, but true). 

My long shot fantasy is he gets trades to another organization. Otherwise, his platooning for TB is as certain as death and taxes.

1 minute ago, nittanychris said:

I’m not doubting the kid’s talent at all. His numbers are incredibly impressive, in particular his plate discipline.

The issue is Tampa Bay’s system wide philosophy. There are tons of examples of their extreme love of platoons and babying starting pitchers (unrelated here, but true). 

My long shot fantasy is he gets trades to another organization. Otherwise, his platooning for TB is as certain as death and taxes.

Really doubt he gets traded since the rays are unlikely to take on salary, since he would get traded for an established star.  

Can anyone think of a time that the Rays called up a top offensive prospect when it wouldn't have made a huge difference in their lineup?   

4 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

But I don't feel like Tampa Bay is close minded either. They're not platooning for the hell of it. They're not platooning Barry Bonds. 

Randy Arozarena, Austin Meadows and Brandon Lowe lead the team in at-bats this year, the three players you would expect to play the most on their roster.

Four of Brujan's seven HR this year have come against LHP, so I wouldn't close the door on him having a role more like Arozarena, Meadows and Lowe.