NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2018 Outlook

sjm76

1 hour ago, Asian Sensation said:

I love Chao’s work/opinions good or bad as he’s rarely wrong but from what it sounds like from the article I’m gonna have to guess/hope this one of the few times Chao is wrong. 

If it was a high ankle sprain he would be obviously limping (contrary to that article) and walking with a boot. 

Oddly enough the last time I remember Chao being wrong was a about a month ago when he thought Shady had a high ankle sprain as well. Can’t really see him being off twice on the same prediction but I can see Shady being easy to misdiagnose as he literally does cut on a dime. 

35 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

a blind squirrel can win the golden ticket to Charlies chocolate factory, David Chao is not constantly wrong

From what i've seen, Chao is usually wrong so anything he says holds as much weight as any other random person on the internet. Last year he kept insisting DJ was going to come back and that didn't happen. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cnewbykkn said:

Almost as easy as looking over the last 3 pages where it was posted multiple times?

Forgive me.  All I saw was some posts about Tomlin saying it was a bone bruise, this Jene Bremel guy, some from the armchair Google doctors, a bunch of useless drivel about how fantasy football is luck... but nothing from the "famed" Dr. David Chao.  If it was there, and I missed it, then I apologize.

8 hours ago, oban14 said:

Making the playoffs=70% luck.

Winning the playoffs=100% luck.

It was established and agreed upon on the old espn forum, which was much better with #s, that success in FF required 67% luck.

Just now, CooL said:

Forgive me.  All I saw was some posts about Tomlin saying it was a bone bruise, this Jene Bremel guy, some from the armchair Google doctors, a bunch of useless drivel about how fantasy football is luck... but nothing from the "famed" Dr. David Chao.  If it was there, and I missed it, then I apologize.

Don't apologize, I was being a prick.  

#InternetSarcasmSucks

2 minutes ago, psygolf said:

It was established and agreed upon on the old espn forum, which was much better with #s, that success in FF required 67% luck.

100% bulls--- 

"there is no such thing as 'luck',   'luck' is when preperation and skill are presented with opportunity"

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

100% bulls--- 

"there is no such thing as 'luck',   'luck' is when preperation and skill are presented with opportunity"

If you can tell me that you are the highest scoring team week in/week out, then I will gladly subscribe to what you're selling.

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

you're lucky i'm in a giving mood, shoot me a pm for details. 

Not going to dance with the Devil.

If gnat13 and I can agree upon a number then it can pretty much be taken as Gospel.

2 minutes ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

Reports after game he was walking around locker room without a noticeable limp. 

I am crossing fingers for no missed time. 

Obviously hard to know until we see how he progresses throughout the week, but as a Conner owner that has to play my first playoff game this week, I'm planning to find a replacement for the first round and cross my fingers that I can catch a little luck and make it to week 15...I'm less optimistic that he plays week 14 but holding out hope to have him back if I make it out alive.

14 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

100% bulls--- 

Unfortunately that quote does not apply to Fantasy football. Due to the uniqueness of the game of Football, and unpredictability of weekly schemes, defensives, and fluke injuries, fantasy football is truly about 65% luck. That is to say, if you're referring to it as a zero sum, winner take all game. 

3 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

Obviously hard to know until we see how he progresses throughout the week, but as a Conner owner that has to play my first playoff game this week, I'm planning to find a replacement for the first round and cross my fingers that I can catch a little luck and make it to week 15...I'm less optimistic that he plays week 14 but holding out hope to have him back if I make it out alive.

damn, I suppose I am about to get buried first week of playoffs then.  I lost Melvin Gordon and now Conner.  My backups are Spencer Ware and Austin Ekeler. 

4 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

I'd play Samuels wild card against Oak...the matchup could provide enough pts for 2 Pitt rbs.

As someone who has had a wide range of ankle injuries, it did look like a textbook high-ankle sprain.  I’m not a doctor, and don’t ever ask me to guess on any knee, shoulder, etc. injuries, but I know a good deal about ankles.

High-ankle sprains are typically the product of the ankle twisting, or rolling from outside-in (pressure being put on the interior of the ankle), rather than the more common rolling causing damage to the anterior ligaments.

If you watch the play, Conner’s toe gets caught in the turf, and it appears he has pressure placed on the interior of his ankle.  Anyway... I can see why Dr. Chao would think it was a high-ankle sprain.

ALL THAT BEING SAID... it doesn’t mean it is.  You can never tell how much damage has been done to the ligaments just by watching a video.  It’s more than plausible that Conner didn’t stretch the ligaments at all, and the result really is a lower leg confusion caused by the defender’s knee.

Have to see what the test confirm today.

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

The guy is constantly wrong, last week he had Xavier Rhodes out for the year with a completely turn hamstring.  This week he plays.  Earlier in the year after a horse collar tackle he had Cooper Kupp with a torn knee, only for him to come back in the same game.

It's not Chao's fault that Rhodes is the best actor in the history of the world, faking that injury after getting torched by Adams 

27 minutes ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

Unfortunately that quote does not apply to Fantasy football. Due to the uniqueness of the game of Football, and unpredictability of weekly schemes, defensives, and fluke injuries, fantasy football is truly about 65% luck. That is to say, if you're referring to it as a zero sum, winner take all game. 

Why 65%? Other people are saying 95%, 90%. What's the math behind any of these numbers?

Archived