NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2018 Outlook

sjm76

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

The news article came out a couple days ago where Pouncey claims Bell told him he would report Wednesday. 

Bell posted on twitter something along the lines of "I didnt tell anyone anything" after the story broke. Everyone assumes he is referring to what Pouncey said.

Not trying to play semantics, but

So no, Bell didn't dispute the notion he would be there on Wed. He just said he didnt say anything.   It doesnt even seem like Pouncey ever said Bell said that either.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

If Bell is declared out at some point in the week, where does everyone feel he slots in with the Week 1 RB rankings? In the Barber/Williams/Carson/Hyde tier? Higher/lower?

I would not start him unless I had no better choice. For all the LOL BROWNS shenanigans I think they will have a pretty good defense and IIRC they were good against the run last year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense

1 minute ago, RoboFroogs said:

I would not start him unless I had no better choice. For all the LOL BROWNS shenanigans I think they will have a pretty good defense and IIRC they were good against the run last year.

I would be debating starting him in my flex over Marvin Jones/Dion Lewis. It is still the Steelers offense with a healthy Ben, AB and JuJu. I would slot him as a top 15 start. 

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not trying to play semantics, but

So no, Bell didn't dispute the notion he would be there on Wed. He just said he didnt say anything.   It doesnt even seem like Pouncey ever said Bell said that either.

Did you even bother looking at the dates of the tweet? Bell wasn't looking into the future on what Pouncey was going to say.

6 minutes ago, hamburglar628 said:

Did you even bother looking at the dates of the tweet? Bell wasn't looking into the future on what Pouncey was going to say.

Ok then. @oliminator123 suggested it was what Pouncey said so I looked that up and found that.  If it wasn't what Pouncey said, what was it?  And if it wasn't what Pouncey said, then he isn't refuting Pouncey's Wednesday's prediction.  Either way.

Seems like Bell is trying to gain some leverage by saying the "don't believe anything"

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Ok then. @oliminator123 suggested it was what Pouncey said so I looked that up and found that.  If it wasn't what Pouncey said, what was it?  And if it wasn't what Pouncey said, then he isn't refuting Pouncey's Wednesday's prediction.  Either way.

Bell was prolly referring to the "i'll be back on Labor Day" quote that got attributed to him. 

9 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

opportunity is still the key, it may not be the best matchup, you're talking about a potential RB1 workload in your RB2 or Flex slot. 

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

Ok then. @oliminator123 suggested it was what Pouncey said so I looked that up and found that.  If it wasn't what Pouncey said, what was it?  And if it wasn't what Pouncey said, than he isn't refuting Pouncey's Wednesday's prediction.  Either way.

Yeah I must be confused. Think he may have been referring to this:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/08/28/leveon-bell-news-steelers-rbs-james-conner-jaylen-samuels/stories/201808280158

3 minutes ago, the_dying_dream said:

When's the latest he can sign and play? When do they fly out?

He could fly out Sunday, doesnt really matter, I'd assume the cutoff for going through walk through and the coahces feeling good about him going into the game is probably tomorrow, and thats why that seems to be the popular prediction.

Last year was totally different than this year. Last year had a different OC, with I'm sure a different playbook than the current OC. Sitting out last year with Bell's conditioning, a rookie backup RB,  and knowledge of an old playbook is fine.

This year. Conner is making stride's in practice according to coaches and teammates. They are all saying he's ready. If Bell hasn't even looked at the new playbook, he's going to be eased in more than it took last year. I think Conner is going to have an 80/20 split if Bell shows up and plays, with that quickly moving towards the opposite direction, and even more in Bell's favor, as the season progresses.

45 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

If Bell is declared out at some point in the week, where does everyone feel he slots in with the Week 1 RB rankings? In the Barber/Williams/Carson/Hyde tier? Higher/lower?

No matter when he is ranked, he is on the bench. 

TL;DR discussion on whether Bell will make it in...that situation is what it is.  I like James Conner but he's not the kind of guy I'd automatically plug in there and have confidence that he'll produce just because he's getting touches by default.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if PIT went to more of a RBBC look if Bell doesn't show up with Conner, Samuels and Ridley all getting a share of the workload - something along a 60-30-10 split if I had to guess & that would be purely a guess. Even if I'm way off and Tomlin & Co. try to make Conner a focal point of the PIT offense, he's still got to show he can even handle it. He had shoulder, ankle & knee injuries last year IIRC, did he not?  The last being one that required surgery, his second torn MCL.  This pre-season he's been dealing with a groin injury....i just have serious doubts he can hold up for a full workload.

1 minute ago, wayzupusc said:

TL;DR discussion on whether Bell will make it in...that situation is what it is.  I like James Conner but he's not the kind of guy I'd automatically plug in there and have confidence that he'll produce just because he's getting touches by default.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if PIT went to more of a RBBC look if Bell doesn't show up with Conner, Samuels and Ridley all getting a share of the workload - something along a 60-30-10 split if I had to guess & that would be purely a guess. Even if I'm way off and Tomlin & Co. try to make Conner a focal point of the PIT offense, he's still got to show he can even handle it. He had shoulder, ankle & knee injuries last year IIRC, did he not?  The last being one that required surgery, his second torn MCL.  This pre-season he's been dealing with a groin injury....i just have serious doubts he can hold up for a full workload.

This is all wrong. Conner will be the 3 down back. He is an instant plug and play if Bell does not play. That line and offense is too good to ignore the starting RB. 

Just now, oliminator123 said:

This is all wrong. Conner will be the 3 down back. He is an instant plug and play if Bell does not play. That line and offense is too good to ignore the starting RB. 

It's all wrong that James Conner has an established history of significant & frequent injuries, going back to his days at Pitt? Shoulder, ankle, hip, non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, 2 torn MCL's, a groin this pre-season. I like the guy, I'm a PIT fan....but unless Tomlin has stated in unequivocal terms that Conner will be used as they use Bell, I think it's a risk. Even if they do try that, I think it's another risk to assume he can hold up to 25 touches a game. And there is always his poor pass protection issues that may make PIT take him off the field in passing downs. Jaylen Samuels is a much better receiver than he is anyway.

1 minute ago, ozark said:

Yeah you think? How so? I remember a 32 year old DeAngelo Williams posting solid rb1 numbers in Bell's absence.

while i think Connor can put up RB1 in that offense, the situation with Williams was a little different.  he was an NFL vet, with a resume that had some success in the past.  Connor hasn't don't anything yet in the NFL. 

15 minutes ago, Panthor said:

while i think Connor can put up RB1 in that offense, the situation with Williams was a little different.  he was an NFL vet, with a resume that had some success in the past.  Connor hasn't don't anything yet in the NFL. 

As a Steelers starting RB, you'll have more scoring chances than the average RB, more opportunities to be open in the passing game,  and a veteran QB that constantly checks down to the RB...its about situation and opportunity. Steelers are the best for drafting offensive talent...just look at their WR resume. He'll be an RB1 for sure for the weeks he's starting.

1 minute ago, hamburglar628 said:

As a Steelers starting RB, you'll have more scoring chances than the average RB, more opportunities for passing since their WR are some of the best, if not the best, and a veteran QB that constantly checks down to the RB...its about situation and opportunity. Steelers are the best for drafting offensive talent...just look at their WR resume. He'll be an RB1 for sure for the weeks he's starting.

you're preaching to the choir, i'm simply saying that hanging your hat on the fact Williams was successful means that it is a no brainer for Connor is incorrect because the situation was different and they aren't the same running back

You're kidding yourself if you think James Conner isn't a plug 'n' play in all leagues if Le'Veon were to not suit up for a game. There is no risk to holding him, as virtually everyone drafted him in the last 5 rounds as a flier/lottery ticket or picked him up for free. If he busts when given the opportunity, that's one thing; but to say he's not startable after the preseason he's had and the talent he's flashed is myopic.

Deangelo Williams stats for the first 3 games in 2016 when Bell was out for smoking the weeeeeeed.

26 attempts for 143 yards / 2 TD's with 6/9 catches for 28 yards ~35 fantasy points

32 attempts 94 yards with 4/5 catches 38 yards / 1 TD ~23 fantasy points

8 attempts 24 yards with 4/7 catches 23 yards ***team scored only 3 points total*** ~8 fantasy points

Sign me up for Conner

Take a flier on a guy that's in one of the best offenses...same for my boy J. Williams/ A. Jones in GB...these guys will put up points when healthy and are in those particular systems. 

Archived