NBC Sports EDGE Forums

#1 Pick..David Johnson vs Saquon Barkley

K_Rich

I have a draft coming up soon and I am sitting here with the #1 overall pick in a 12 team .5ppr league. I am currently debating on these two for my first overall pick. I know its against everyone's rankings and ADP's with Bell, Gurley and Elliot being the top backs but I feel that one of either Johnson or Barkley is more exciting for me to watch (after all gotta have some type of fun with fantasy). So far I came up with some plus and minus for each.

DJ

+ Potential for 1000, 1000

+Contract Year

+Fresh Legs

+The #1 priority in the offense

-"Bad" offensive line

-Bruce Arians' departure

Barkley

+Surrounded by offensive weapons to keep the boxes light

+"Generational" talent

2nd overall pick so front office will make sure he gets touches

-Preseason hamstring issues

-"Bad" offensive line

I would really consider reconsidering and choosing one of Bell or Gurley

With that said if I had to choose one of those two its DJ for me. DJ is the proven commodity and there is no way even with the hype that I would draft a rookie first overall. I do like Barkley but I don't trust him enough to draft him first overall

Help in return plz:

I struggle to follow, haha. To me, excitement stems from winning, and Bell or Gurley provide a better chance of winning than Barkley or Johnson. That's not to say that Barkley or Johnson can't emerge as the top back this year, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it. 

I understand you guys point with Gurley and Bell. What are the odds of Gurley finishing #1 again? And Bell, while his usage is high I feel he will start the season slow due to the hold out. As well as the concern of him breaking down due to the significant workload received over the past few seasons.

Those saying Saquon is unproven. With the success of rookie rbs over the past few yrs (Gurley, Zeke, Howard, Fournette, Kamara, Hunt. Cook, the list goes on), why cant Saquon be just as good, if not better than the rookies of past seasons?

17 minutes ago, K_Rich said:

I understand you guys point with Gurley and Bell. What are the odds of Gurley finishing #1 again? And Bell, while his usage is high I feel he will start the season slow due to the hold out. As well as the concern of him breaking down due to the significant workload received over the past few seasons.

Those saying Saquon is unproven. With the success of rookie rbs over the past few yrs (Gurley, Zeke, Howard, Fournette, Kamara, Hunt. Cook, the list goes on), why cant Saquon be just as good, if not better than the rookies of past seasons?

There was an argument about this yesterday.

People are married to ADP; absolutely nothing wrong with Saquan at 1 if that is who you want to take.

35 minutes ago, K_Rich said:

The difference is - nobody took any of those guys (Gurley, Howard, Fournette, Kamara, Hunt, Cook) FIRST overall in their rookie seasons. Zeke is the only exception.

While it's not crazy to take Barkley first overall - history has proven that even though rookies can and will become studs - you can't bank on them being the league leading rusher their first season. Will Barkley do well? Yes. Will he put up more fantasy than Bell/Gurley? Who knows. I hate the unknown and I'd rather go with the proven backs (when discussing the top tier). 

Archived