NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018 Streaming Defense Thread

1 hour ago, meekzy said:

love the zuerlein / bears stack once he gets back. for two positions that no one really values its like having an extra player.

If Big Z is back to normal, that is a ridiculous stack.  It's like a +20 point bonus before the games even start. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me me me! My first FA add before week 1 when the Mack news hit.   

PSA For potential Oakland streamers:   Uh, it never works out. -void of defensive talent -on the road -team fractured -SF, above all, has had great coaching. Their team c

Cheers to whoever else grabbed the Bears D! Let's ride this train!!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, thejosef said:

If Big Z is back to normal, that is a ridiculous stack.  It's like a +20 point bonus before the games even start. 

last year he outscored the 12th kicker in my league by 3.7pts per game.  The 6th by 1.7.   That’s not much of an advantage.  

5 minutes ago, poofinger said:

last year he outscored the 12th kicker in my league by 3.7pts per game.  The 6th by 1.7.   That’s not much of an advantage.  

4 pts per game is a huge advantage...

5 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

4 pts per game is a huge advantage...

Far too many factors with kicker to say that he’s a lock for 4pt advantage.  That’s all my point was. 

The ones with Kelce, Ertz and Gronk really start one up.  Not the guys with Zurlein.  After all he’a still just a kicker.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, poofinger said:

I don't want to turn this into the Greg thread but I think your calculations are off, likely due to you not calculating the fact that GZ only played 14 games. He averaged 13 pts a week in most standard scoring leagues, compared to 10.75 pt/wk from the #2 kicker Gostkowski. 2.25 pt/wk advantage is huge and that's not even comparing him to the average which for kickers which would be closer to a 3.5 pt/wk difference.

Other players that gave you that kind of advantage last year compared to their positional counterparts include Michael Thomas (+3.77), Aaron Rodgers (+3.89), Tyreek Hill (+3.59), and Larry Fitzgerald (+3.5). In other words, it's the difference between starting ARod or Tyrod Taylor last year, or Michael Thomas v. Robby Anderson. Huge advantage.

To bring this full-circle there's a great argument to be made that similar to how Greg is the exception to the rule with placing a premium on kickers, the same might be true of the Chicago Bears defense this year. Using JAX last year as an example, they ended up scoring 12.8 pt/wk, compared to 10 pt/wk for what might be defined as the average defense in fantasy. That 2.8 pt/wk difference is very similar to the advantage that a guy like GZ gives you, and it cannot be ignored.

Teams with the K1 and DEF1 arguably have around a 6 pt/wk advantage over their counterparts, assuming their opponent fields a league-average kicker and defense (the advantage is even greater when they miss on their starts/streamers, while you're consistently starting studs each week). Anyone who thinks this is not an advantage is fooling themselves.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

I don't want to turn this into the Greg thread but I think your calculations are off, likely due to you not calculating the fact that GZ only played 14 games. He averaged 13 pts a week in most standard scoring leagues, compared to 10.75 pt/wk from the #2 kicker Gostkowski. 2.25 pt/wk advantage is huge and that's not even comparing him to the average which for kickers which would be closer to a 3.5 pt/wk difference.

Other players that gave you that kind of advantage last year compared to their positional counterparts include Michael Thomas (+3.77), Aaron Rodgers (+3.89), Tyreek Hill (+3.59), and Larry Fitzgerald (+3.5). In other words, it's the difference between starting ARod or Tyrod Taylor last year, or Michael Thomas v. Robby Anderson. Huge advantage.

To bring this full-circle there's a great argument to be made that similar to how Greg is the exception to the rule with placing a premium on kickers, the same might be true of the Chicago Bears defense this year. Using JAX last year as an example, they ended up scoring 12.8 pt/wk, compared to 10 pt/wk for what might be defined as the average defense in fantasy. That 2.8 pt/wk difference is very similar to the advantage that a guy like GZ gives you, and it cannot be ignored.

Teams with the K1 and DEF1 arguably have around a 6 pt/wk advantage over their counterparts, assuming their opponent fields a league-average kicker and defense (the advantage is even greater when they miss on their starts/streamers, while you're consistently starting studs each week). Anyone who thinks this is not an advantage is fooling themselves.

Thanks for the in-depth reply. I like the information here.  

You’re also sort of helping my point.   So it’s a 6pt advantage.  Not a 20pt advantage as stated above. 

Definitely can’t argue with the 6pts being an advantage on a weekly basis.  Especially when you compare it with how you did with WR and QB

Edited by poofinger

I've been using LAC the past couple of weeks, but MIA has been crushing it regardless of who they play. I feel like the second I make the swap, MIA does me dirty. Is it worth the shot?

Edited by Gootz
6 hours ago, poofinger said:

Thanks for the in-depth reply. I like the information here.  

You’re also sort of helping my point.   So it’s a 6pt advantage.  Not a 20pt advantage as stated above. 

Definitely can’t argue with the 6pts being an advantage on a weekly basis.  Especially when you compare it with how you did with WR and QB

poofinger, you missed a couple key words there:  "If Big Z is back to normal, that is a ridiculous STACK.  It's LIKE a +20 point bonus before the games even start."

Meaning with both Zuerlein & the Bears Defense, you really have a solid advantage.  "LIKE" means "similar to" and is used here to make an slightly exaggerated claim, which is what people do sometimes, especially on the internet.   I was simply recalling fond memories of last year, when I had both Z and the Jags defense.  It was a lovely time.  

11 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Thoughts on Dallas this week? The top options are Dallas, Jets, Colts, Dolphins. The Colts probably have the best opponent but of these teams Dallas is the best real life defense. When in doubt I tend to go with the better real life defense (less chance of getting blown up for 30 or 40 points). That said, the Cowboys are ranked in the teens everywhere this week.

im debating between the jets, cowboys and titans.  jets and titans have been fairly consistent and cowboys, as you mention, probably have the best real defense going up against bortles.  im town.  any thoughts?

6 hours ago, thejosef said:

poofinger, you missed a couple key words there:  "If Big Z is back to normal, that is a ridiculous STACK.  It's LIKE a +20 point bonus before the games even start."

Meaning with both Zuerlein & the Bears Defense, you really have a solid advantage.  "LIKE" means "similar to" and is used here to make an slightly exaggerated claim, which is what people do sometimes, especially on the internet.   I was simply recalling fond memories of last year, when I had both Z and the Jags defense.  It was a lovely time.  

Not sure I missed anything.  

Teams with the K1 and DEF1 arguably have around a 6 pt/wk advantage over their counterparts,”

he said K1 AND DEF1.   

That’s the stack you speak of.

6 and 20 are, like, not even close or similar.   Definitely exaggerated but I’ve never heard like used that way.  Sorry.  

I know they shutdown GB for three quarters and held the TB offense in check. The rest of their games are Hawks, Cards, and get the unscary Dolphins this week. Those aren't exactly juggernauts. They do have a juicy ROS, but they also have two dates with the Vikings, one with GB, one with Rams, and two with Lions. Do you expect any duds for any of those match-ups?

7 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I know they shutdown GB for three quarters and held the TB offense in check. The rest of their games are Hawks, Cards, and get the unscary Dolphins this week. Those aren't exactly juggernauts. They do have a juicy ROS, but they also have two dates with the Vikings, one with GB, one with Rams, and two with Lions. Do you expect any duds for any of those match-ups?

Nope.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

You have to treat Chicago's defense as one of your studs, like a RB1 or WR1. Regardless of whom they're playing, you never sit those type of players.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, herschel said:

im debating between the jets, cowboys and titans.  jets and titans have been fairly consistent and cowboys, as you mention, probably have the best real defense going up against bortles.  im town.  any thoughts?

Going with the Jets now after further research. They have been a solid defense as well. The key difference between the two fantasy wise, though, is the Jets generate turnovers and the Cowboys don't (they have only 3-4 this year). Re the Titans, they are not available in my league but the Ravens offense has been good this year so I would fade them.

Edited by Ace_King
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, mdbomb said:

Colts vs. Bills

texans is my defense... grabbed titans for buffalo, then use texans this week (dont want to use them at jax next week), and grab colts in advance for next week.

i go with the play everyone against buffalo

On 10/10/2018 at 12:20 PM, FitzMagic said:

What defense will you be streaming for Week 7?

I picked up the Vikes D for this week and next ( both vs rookie QBs )

could be good if someone dropped them

4 hours ago, eoschris said:

With any of those teams - I feel they would force pressure and cause turnovers. They have already faced GB this season. 

That being said - I just traded away the Chicago Defense. Was a fun ride!

Yikes.  I'm holding tight on them.  I tried to get them in my other league and was denied.  Mack is just unreal to watch. 

4 hours ago, eoschris said:

With any of those teams - I feel they would force pressure and cause turnovers. They have already faced GB this season. 

That being said - I just traded away the Chicago Defense. Was a fun ride!

I hope you got a pretty good haul, this feels like owning the jags last year and they haven't even had a truly massive DST performance yet.

If you owned Jax defense last year, were you benching them during “tough” matchups and thus carrying two defenses? I think most did not. The Bears are a set and forget it defense. Now that they’re done with the bye, you don’t even need to think about it for the rest of the year. And the good thing is, the defense can’t get “injured” and be questionable, doubtful, or out.

• Like 2
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Chicago Bears Defense 2018
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unpinned this topic