NBC Sports Edge Forums

2018 Streaming Defense Thread

1 minute ago, CooL said:

If you owned Jax defense last year, were you benching them during “tough” matchups and thus carrying two defenses? I think most did not. The Bears are a set and forget it defense. Now that they’re done with the bye, you don’t even need to think about it for the rest of the year. And the good thing is, the defense can’t get “injured” and be questionable, doubtful, or out.

Feels so damn good not to be juggling around defenses, wasting FAAB, trying to hit on your streams.  Not many set and forget D's this year so it's even a bigger advantage than usual to own these when 3/4 of the league is trying to compete over the streaming options each week.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me me me! My first FA add before week 1 when the Mack news hit.   

PSA For potential Oakland streamers:   Uh, it never works out. -void of defensive talent -on the road -team fractured -SF, above all, has had great coaching. Their team c

Cheers to whoever else grabbed the Bears D! Let's ride this train!!

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

If you owned Jax defense last year, were you benching them during “tough” matchups and thus carrying two defenses? I think most did not. The Bears are a set and forget it defense. Now that they’re done with the bye, you don’t even need to think about it for the rest of the year. And the good thing is, the defense can’t get “injured” and be questionable, doubtful, or out.

But Khalil Mack can be, and if anything happens to him, the Bears are probably no longer set-and-forget. Let's hope we don't have to find out.

These guys are by far my best pickup this season. But let’s be real, you would have to be absolutely insane to play these guys Week 14 against the Rams, assuming you make it that far. Even Week 15 against the Packers seems risky, because Rodgers and what he did to them Week 1. But that matchup is more reasonable than the Rams one. I’m praying I get a BYE.

Edited by nb009
23 hours ago, AnchorDown said:

I don't want to turn this into the Greg thread but I think your calculations are off, likely due to you not calculating the fact that GZ only played 14 games. He averaged 13 pts a week in most standard scoring leagues, compared to 10.75 pt/wk from the #2 kicker Gostkowski. 2.25 pt/wk advantage is huge and that's not even comparing him to the average which for kickers which would be closer to a 3.5 pt/wk difference.

Other players that gave you that kind of advantage last year compared to their positional counterparts include Michael Thomas (+3.77), Aaron Rodgers (+3.89), Tyreek Hill (+3.59), and Larry Fitzgerald (+3.5). In other words, it's the difference between starting ARod or Tyrod Taylor last year, or Michael Thomas v. Robby Anderson. Huge advantage.

To bring this full-circle there's a great argument to be made that similar to how Greg is the exception to the rule with placing a premium on kickers, the same might be true of the Chicago Bears defense this year. Using JAX last year as an example, they ended up scoring 12.8 pt/wk, compared to 10 pt/wk for what might be defined as the average defense in fantasy. That 2.8 pt/wk difference is very similar to the advantage that a guy like GZ gives you, and it cannot be ignored.

Teams with the K1 and DEF1 arguably have around a 6 pt/wk advantage over their counterparts, assuming their opponent fields a league-average kicker and defense (the advantage is even greater when they miss on their starts/streamers, while you're consistently starting studs each week). Anyone who thinks this is not an advantage is fooling themselves.

There isn't really any good way to compute it but I'm curious how Bears D would compare to streamers. I usually stream and thus far this year I'm only 6 points behind Bears even with a -2 in week 2. Bears have some of the best matchups 3/4 next weeks but the schedule tightens up a bit after that so I'm going to see if I can catch up. 

• Like 1

It's been a few years since I've held a Def. I think I like this better. The points are out there on the wire, no doubt, but I like not having to think about it. We'll see... It's not like the bears won't have a couple duds. 

42 minutes ago, nb009 said:

These guys are by far my best pickup this season. But let’s be real, you would have to be absolutely insane to play these guys Week 14 against the Rams, assuming you make it that far. Even Week 15 against the Packers seems risky, because Rodgers and what he did to them Week 1. But that matchup is more reasonable than the Rams one. I’m praying I get a BYE.

A lot can happen between now and week 14. They already played against the packers in green bay and put up great numbers. I think it'd be more insane to bench what is the best D in the league against a southern california team that has to travel halfway across the country to play in the freezing cold in the middle of winter in chicago. Barring any injuries to key defensive players they're not coming out of my starting lineup.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, nb009 said:

I'm playing them 100% at home against LAR. Doesn't matter if the Rams put up points, they'll be a good amount of sacks and a few turnovers as well.

29 minutes ago, TheAuthorityHere said:

I'm playing them 100% at home against LAR. Doesn't matter if the Rams put up points, they'll be a good amount of sacks and a few turnovers as well.

Goff will be in for a rude awakening that game. Dude gets a bit skittish with a fierce pass rush. Fangio is one of the best and it'll be a cold weather game. Rams have no idea what that means.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, thejosef said:

Yikes.  I'm holding tight on them.  I tried to get them in my other league and was denied.  Mack is just unreal to watch. 

9 hours ago, cheezor42 said:

I hope you got a pretty good haul, this feels like owning the jags last year and they haven't even had a truly massive DST performance yet.

It was effectively:

Ty Hilton

Chris Thompson

Carolina Defense

for

Lesean McCoy 

Devin Funchess

Chicago Defense

I Have Andrew Luck for the WR/QB stack.

Chicago was an amazing hold but when your starting WRs before trade are Corey Davis and Devin Funchess - you have to make a trade. Targeted TY the whole way even with the hamstring injury.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

There isn't really any good way to compute it but I'm curious how Bears D would compare to streamers. I usually stream and thus far this year I'm only 6 points behind Bears even with a -2 in week 2. Bears have some of the best matchups 3/4 next weeks but the schedule tightens up a bit after that so I'm going to see if I can catch up. 

Are u accounting for their bye week last week?

I have the chance to stash a DST.

I'm looking for one to roll with for the next 2/3 weeks due to BYEs. I'm NOT looking to start them this week.

Which one looks the best starting next week?

Colts: vs BUF, @Oak

Cardinals: vs DEN, vs SF

Lions: @ Mia, vs Seattle

Redskins: Dal, @NYG 

11 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Are u accounting for their bye week last week?

Oh no good point... yeah so I guess they are pretty legit. Although the need to roster 2 defenses to get through their BYE week has to be factored in negatively somehow. I guess theoretically you could stream the same defense I streamed that week so its really just the cost of a roster spot for that week which is highly variable in value. 

Edited by Jaw1
8 hours ago, nll928 said:

Best defense stash to keep your eye out in upcoming weeks for playoff finals for week 15-16?

The Lions

Week 14 @ Arizona

Week 15 @ Buffalo

Thank you very much

2 hours ago, clarkevii said:

The Lions

Week 14 @ Arizona

Week 15 @ Buffalo

Thank you very much

I most likely will have a bye in week 14 in this league,  but yeah lions week 15 should be near top of everyone's list... although lions give up pointsssss.  So far at least 

Edited by nll928
10 hours ago, jccouger said:

Seems like everybody on offense is out for the redskins. Start carolina? 

I'm Starting them.

They are getting no love. Thomas Davis is back and that is huge. Their offense is getting healthy so maybe they put up points creating a positive game script for their D.

The problem is that Washington gives up very few points to Fantasy Defenses.

I also have the Colts against the Jets. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Chicago Bears Defense 2018
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unpinned this topic