NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jared Cook 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I picked him up as a replacement for poor Delaney Walker, thinking I'd check more options later but at least he should get me 500 yds. Today he's on fire though against the Rams, so now I wonder: can that be another great QB-TE bromance between Carr and Cook?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cook's 2017 just for reference:  

This is pretty vague, lots of different league sizes out there.  Maybe a TE2 in 10 teamers.  Definitely in the low-end TE1 discussion in 12+ teams.     Speaking of convenient argument

This is what Jared Cook does. Have 1 or 2 monster games a year and be mediocre the rest. Definitely worth a flier but don't waste big FAAB on this guy. With Crabtree out of the mix he could certainly

Posted Images

This is what Jared Cook does. Have 1 or 2 monster games a year and be mediocre the rest. Definitely worth a flier but don't waste big FAAB on this guy. With Crabtree out of the mix he could certainly be the beneficiary but I personally think he's fools gold to some degree.

• Like 4
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Jared Cook 2018 Outlook
7 minutes ago, kball09 said:

This is what Jared Cook does. Have 1 or 2 monster games a year and be mediocre the rest. Definitely worth a flier but don't waste big FAAB on this guy. With Crabtree out of the mix he could certainly be the beneficiary but I personally think he's fools gold to some degree.

What's big FAAB?

(I know what FAAB is, I'm asking what counts as big)

So, for a TE, $20 would be very big IMO. $10 or more is aggressive (just because you rarely find TE studs off the wire). I think if you bid $10 on Cooks, you won't get him (because of the TE injuries this past week), so I think that if you reallllly want him, you may need to be in the teens. It honestly depends on the Walker/Olsen owners in your league and if they already have other TE options.

Edit: FYI, if it comes to a stud RB handcuff and FAAB (like if Gurley goes down and Kelly is out there) anything goes. People will be bidding at LEAST $50 in those situations on many occasions, just depends on the quality of the backup.

Edited by kball09
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, kball09 said:

anybody that's been playing fantasy football for more than a week knows this. dude is a te2, has always been a te2, will always be a te2. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Dunno... 181 yards is a lot...

And that whole team is pushing 40.

Buyer beware :)

He's worth getting for free, but if someone in your leagues bids high from a FAAB perspective, they're going to regret it.

39 minutes ago, kball09 said:

It depend a bit on what you call mediocre, I guess. For essentially a WW pickup, I think 40-60 yds on average is fine. Won't set the league on fire, but rosterable nonetheless in case of my emergency.
image.png.d41268ccd5222691dabda9ba40f3ea4b.png

I also note he is pretty much stable, on 4 different teams, even though he's on the wrong side of 30 now. I like that, and I like that Gruden likes older guys.

Hard to not be intrigued especially with guys like Olsen and Walker going down. I think Kittle would still be the better add but Cook is probably available in more leagues. Sure he has a history of big games and disappearing but that is better than most waiver-level TEs who would probably take 4 games to put up 9 catches and 180 yards. Didn't really showcase it today but with Crabtree gone he should play a bigger RZ role. Cooper should do better when he isn't locked down by one of the top corners but Cook looks looks like he could be #2 option which should garner significant interest. 

36 minutes ago, kball09 said:

So, for a TE, $20 would be very big IMO. $10 or more is aggressive (just because you rarely find TE studs off the wire). I think if you bid $10 on Cooks, you won't get him (because of the TE injuries this past week), so I think that if you reallllly want him, you may need to be in the teens. It honestly depends on the Walker/Olsen owners in your league and if they already have other TE options.

Edit: FYI, if it comes to a stud RB handcuff and FAAB (like if Gurley goes down and Kelly is out there) anything goes. People will be bidding at LEAST $50 in those situations on many occasions, just depends on the quality of the backup.

Sorry to nitpick, but use FAAB % instead of dollars. We are all in different leagues.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Cook's 2017 just for reference:

image.png.1cef2bf5d9df3c51c751ccedf820fa86.png

Honestly looking at the targets I'm not hating it especially since there is theoretically a bigger role available with Crabtree gone. Nelson didn't do much so minimally Cook picks up a couple of Crabtree's TDs and some of those otherwise bad lines become tolerable. If o-line and QB can stay healthy things should be better than last year. 

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure that the only reason Cook did so well tonight was purely because of the Raiders gameplan of not forcing balls on the outside against Peters and Talib. 
Rams have pretty bad Linebackers, and the Raiders took advantage of it down the middle with Cook.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, CViewPride35 said:

Week 2 against the Broncos... pretty similar to Rams, no?  Great Dline, good cbs, mediocre middle. 

Similar gameplan?

Their only great CB is in the slot now, with Chris Harris Jr.

Bradley Roby is a good CB, still prone to errors.

Tramaine Brock came over from the Vikings and he was decent...

So not as scary as the Ram's...

2 hours ago, panthers93 said:

dude is a te2, has always been a te2, will always be a te2. 

Cook quietly finished as a top 12 TE last season, despite only 2 TDs, in his first year with the Raiders.

Now in his second year, Crabtree is gone, Amari is still one of the worst red zone threats in the NFL, the jury is out on Jordy, and the Raiders defense took a massive hit when Mack walked out the door.

Cook is an absolute physical freak, who was praised by Gruden all off season, and anyone who watched the game tonight, can't possibly think he only got targeted because of the strong CBs.  He was out there finding space, getting open, making nice catches, fighting for yards, and was the Red Zone target.  I had him ranked 11th coming into the season and advised picking him up last night prior to tonight's game (for free) for anyone who had doubts/injuries for their TEs on Sunday.

So, if you waited until after he blew up... then yeah, you're probably going to overpay for him and be upset with his production moving forward.  For those who drafted him in the 16th round, or snatched him up before tonight's game for free, then you've got some trade bait, a streamer, or bye week filler.

He won't have a game like he did tonight again, he's going to have ups and downs.

TE's are simple in fantasy; either you have Gronk, or you're just hoping for 4/40 each week and praying for a TD.

6'5, 254lbs, runs 4.5, with a 41" vertical.  We've seen him flash before, he's just never been able to consistently repeat it.

I understand that Jared Cook is the epitome of Lucy and the football, so I don't blame anyone for being gun shy.

In a $100 FAAB league, if you feel you have a top 5 TE, I wouldn't bid more than $5.

If you feel you have a TE in the 7-12 range, but aren't confident in them, I'd bid up to $10.

If you lost Olsen/Walker and need a backup, I'd max out at $15, based on supply and demand of your wire.

If Kittle, Ebron, and Dissley are out there with Cook... I'm not throwing a full bid out, unless I lost my TE.

FAAB prices are so league dependent, you have to account for all these factors.  Do the people who own Olsen/Walker already have backups?  Will they be bidding against you?  How many hot WR/RBs were on your wire, where people will spend their money elsewhere?  Is your opponent next week also looking at a TE?  I'm willing to bid more, if the person I'm playing might use Cook against me in week 2.  Lots and lots of factors.

Good luck.

• Thanks 3
Just now, lolcopter said:

That being said another big week against Denver is very possible, they can’t cover TE at all

Pick one and swallow the confusion pill.

Imagine my confusion:

1.) Is Cook's usage for real?

2.) or is this the result of having bad LBs for the LAR (Funnel Defense for TEs)?

3.) Or both

Problem is for Denver, they don't even cover most WR right now lol... Lockett got free on a broken coverage, B-Marsh outplayed Roby in the endzone ... only Chris Harris Jr is worth a darn... oh well oh well