NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jared Cook 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

24 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

[Removed Cool Story] I hope he can post a top 10-12 season. The big game provides some optimism but also brings a feeling of deja vu. He had a monster opening game in 2013 as well (I was a Cook owner): 7 catches for 141 yards and 2 touchdowns. He had about 530 yards, 3 touchdowns and 44 receptions over the next 15 games...

We don’t much oblige that kinda talk ‘round here  Ace.  Overall TE1 :P

4 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

When I'm at the bottom of the WW order, I just get guys because people up top tend to "hold out" for the season changer. Took a shot at Cook at #8 and got him. I decided to do so after reading this article, which a brief skim didn't show me anyone else had posted yet:

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/08/raiders-tight-ends-cook-carrier-key-to-grudens-versatile-vision/

Sounds like TE is going to be a HUGE focus and he delivered on MNF. 15 total TE targets. This was different than in years past when he would just catch 6/6 targets and go for 100. He was PEPPERED with targets. I've never been a Cook guy in the past, but man he was playing like a man possessed out there. If this is indicative of his use going forward, sign me up.

He looked incredible, frankly.   That guy can flat run.    And Denver just gave up the cookies to a converted OL for 107/1.   Carr is not going to have time to mess around in pocket either...

’m seeing another nice week in store. 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 4
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cook's 2017 just for reference:  

This is pretty vague, lots of different league sizes out there.  Maybe a TE2 in 10 teamers.  Definitely in the low-end TE1 discussion in 12+ teams.     Speaking of convenient argument

This is what Jared Cook does. Have 1 or 2 monster games a year and be mediocre the rest. Definitely worth a flier but don't waste big FAAB on this guy. With Crabtree out of the mix he could certainly

Posted Images

10 hours ago, ponchsox said:

Take week one completely out of the equation. It was an outlier week. Are you content with 4-40 weekly with one or two more big games? ent.

Lets say a TE like you said gets 40 yards a game for 13 weeks, and go 80 yards 3 games (even though cook went for 180 this week, I'll just say a big game is 80). These are still conservative numbers by your own post.  That would total 760 yards a for the season.  Number of Tight Ends who eclipsed 760 yards in 2017 = 4. 

If a TE averaged 50 yards a game for most of his games and sprinkles in some big ones on top of that, it's a TE1 anyway you want to slice it, assuming he's a red zone weapon like most offensive TEs. 

Tight ends as a whole have a lot of mediocre weeks. 

• Like 3
On 9/12/2018 at 7:35 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Lets say a TE like you said gets 40 yards a game for 13 weeks, and go 80 yards 3 games (even though cook went for 180 this week, I'll just say a big game is 80). These are still conservative numbers by your own post.  That would total 760 yards a for the season.  Number of Tight Ends who eclipsed 760 yards in 2017 = 4. 

If a TE averaged 50 yards a game for most of his games and sprinkles in some big ones on top of that, it's a TE1 anyway you want to slice it, assuming he's a red zone weapon like most offensive TEs. 

Tight ends as a whole have a lot of mediocre weeks. 

Great points listed above. I'm started Cook with confidence in my 12man fullpoint PPR league (even over Engram.. dumb? probably).

Cook showed great hands vs. LAR last week and proved that he can be relied on when needed. Hoping for more of the same this weekend vs. DEN.

Another interesting tidbit- just rough numbers

2017 Denver gave up 3400 yards passing

3rd fewest in NFL

Of those, 1200 were to TEs

3rd most in NFL

its the #1 issue this defense faces.  

Marshall and Davis can’t cover like Trevathian can.   Sua Cravens isn’t healthy, Pac-Man is too small, and Simmons will be busy playing deep safe.    I expect Denver to focus on stopping Oakland in the red zone and Cook piles up the yards between the 20s.   

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Another interesting tidbit- just rough numbers

2017 Denver gave up 3400 yards passing

3rd fewest in NFL

Of those, 1200 were to TEs

3rd most in NFL

its the #1 issue this defense faces.  

Marshall and Davis can’t cover like Trevathian can.   Sua Cravens isn’t healthy, Pac-Man is too small, and Simmons will be busy playing deep safe.    I expect Denver to focus on stopping Oakland in the red zone and Cook piles up the yards between the 20s.   

Fair points made. I think the short dump off passes will turn into PPR gold 

49 minutes ago, InVINCEable said:

Anyone confidently starting? I see Denver is not the greatest against tight ends. 

Starting him over Graham in standard. I expect this to be another good script for Cook and he looked great individually last week. I know Cook usually looks better than he plays, but I've never seen him look like that. It's not just that he looked like a big WR out there and like he would happily eat targets all day. There was fire in his eyes. That was really great to see. If I see that fire again today, I'll believe Cook is in line for a career year even if he doesn't have a big game. 

5 hours ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Starting him over Graham in standard. I expect this to be another good script for Cook and he looked great individually last week. I know Cook usually looks better than he plays, but I've never seen him look like that. It's not just that he looked like a big WR out there and like he would happily eat targets all day. There was fire in his eyes. That was really great to see. If I see that fire again today, I'll believe Cook is in line for a career year even if he doesn't have a big game. 

Even if he goes 5/50 I'll be happy 

Cook will eat today, Amari cooper is going to be locked down by Chris Harris and have minimum impact, gruden will be sure to game plan around cook this week, They lost there starting LB this offseason so cook will be feasting 100%

Yeah it's ridiculously frustrating, but the fact that Cook is getting those looks is just confirmation that he's a TE1 in a horrible landscape.  He's not going to get tackled at the 1 yard line every time.

10 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Anyone else rolling him out this weekend? With EE out for a few weeks, it looks like Cook and I will become pals (I hope)

Yea, TE is a wasteland.. I had Olsen so I had to grab Cook 5 minutes into the season 

• Haha 1
On 9/24/2018 at 12:50 PM, Wyzzil said:

Dude could've had two tds. Really annoyed by that reversal. 

Yes. One on a shovel pass and another quick out both stopped at 1. 

Cook should be even more productive than he has been.